Kiama Fad And Wide

lukeric

Hi, we fished kiama fad this morning in 24.2 deg water.

After floating some pillies and landing about 10 undersized dollies decieded to pull a decent sized slimie around fad. Second pass it gets nailed and a 90cm fish is landed.

post-4064-1202024042_thumb.jpg

Left the fad and headed wide looking for marlin. Got 2 striped tuna which we pulled foe a couple of hours for zeros.

Decided to pull lures for the rest of the day for zeros.

Headed back to fad on the way back home and rigged up two more slimies.

First pass the 15kg outfit gets nailed and line is screaming off the reel.

Lisa was on the rod and doing a top job. This fish was not stopping for anybody, pulling off about 400mtrs of line in first 2 runs.Lifted the the drag up a tad over strike but it didnt make much difference.

So we started chacing the fish down and finally getting some line back before another thumping run pulled the line around the fad and busted us off.

So he lives to fight another day.

All in all a good day with a feed of fish tonight.

Cheers

Luke

Edited by lukeric

Guest GoFish Pete

Nice Dollie

Shame about the one that got away...I sure no that feeling.

Seems like there is some warmer water down south as it was only 23.3 degrees out at the Botany wide FAD one the 25th , or do we all need to calibrate our sounders as Netic discussed a while ago.

Did you have the Fad to yourself ?

cheers

GoFish Pete

Nice Dollie

Shame about the one that got away...I sure no that feeling.

Seems like there is some warmer water down south as it was only 23.3 degrees out at the Botany wide FAD one the 25th , or do we all need to calibrate our sounders as Netic discussed a while ago.

Did you have the Fad to yourself ?

cheers

GoFish Pete

Dont know about the calibration thing, but i run two sounders and they both said the same.

There was one other boat at the fad in the morning using plastics, but they werent having much luck, we left to go wide when 4 other boats rocked up, and there was one other boat near the fad on our way back in, when we hooked the big one, which was very annoying as they seen us hook up and thought they'd come over for a look however this fish was taking heaps of line and they were almost on top of it.

"Hi, we fished kiama fad this morning in 24.2 deg water. After floating some pillies and landing about 10 undersized dollies decieded to pull a decent sized slimie around fad. Second pass it gets nailed and a 90cm fish is landed."

Real nice fish there mate, i've never fished for them but am keen to learn. Can i ask what gear you use for these, eg. rods, reels, line class, lures etc. any tips appreciated.

Mate, when floating pillies i just use my snapper outfit, makes for great fun when you do hook up even to undersized fish, couple of weeks back i fished the wave recorder and first cast of ploating pillie got nailed by a fish around the one meter mark but hook pulled at boat, real challenge on snapper gear.

If pullling livies i usually use 15kg gear as you never know what might grab a livie.