Best Knot For Joining Braid Double To Fluro Leader 60lb+

VA911

Whats the best knot for this application?

Strongest and the best for wind on?

Thanks in advance

:beersmile:

hey mate, i use an albright with some superglue for extra grab on my doubles (joining 80lb braid to 100lb mono) and havent had any issues as yet. hope it helps.

Hi Vince. The Albright is a pretty good knot. Still you mentioned wind on leaders and the fact that you want to join braid main line to 60lb plus mono leader. An Albright doubles the thickness of the mono in the turned back loop. Try this knot as a mono to braid knot for your wind ons and easier travel thru the guides :-

Tie a three loop uni knot in the mono leader, a full blood in the braid and pull together. The braid will tuck in nicely under the mono and after you tighten the mono up hard, cut the end of the mono as short as you can get it. That way the knot will not take up too much extra space in the line and it will slide thru the rod guides easily without catching.

Using this knot, you can use a longer leader for other applications as well and because you are joining braid main line to mono leader a swivel is not required.

Hope this helps mate

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Albright or Slim Beauty. Personally, the Albright seems to be to most slender and my preferred. Make sure you use the improved version which wraps up and back before being passed through the loop. Google it and you will find many demonstrations.

Edited by Ceph

thanks for the replies guys.

will give them all a go!

Cheers

Make sure that when you trim the tag end ,leave it a little longer and burr the end with a ciggie or a lighter so it doesnt slip when under pressure.

Cheers Stewy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have not tried the improved allbright knot but the opposed uni knot works a dream when connecting braid to mono or flurocarbon etc, i have caught 80lb plus cod and have not had this knot come undone, it is not to bulky as to stop it from passing through the guides and as the knot states that it is opposed, so that the knot continually pulls together - not away from each other. Anyway give them all a try and see for yourself, i will give the improved allbright a go myself. Cheers from Gavin.

This ripper from Varivas will not fail, and flies thru guides effortlessly. Once tied never forgotten. The key with PE knots is wraps that tie over more wraps and tighten when pressure is applied, a 'cuff' more so than a traditional knot, the load should be spread over the leader rather than concentrated on one point, eg bimini twist, lest you risk slippage or cutting the leader. Midknot is another goodie. Jap jiggers don't use wind-ons, I found out the hard way why: PE will guillotine dacron under extreme pressure even when cat's pawed.:thumbdown:

post-6106-1204716073_thumb.gif

PS. when you cinch down wraps in PE it should darken in colour considerably. That's your clue to a solid connection. :thumbup:

Edited by Jigholio

This ripper from Varivas will not fail, and flies thru guides effortlessly. Once tied never forgotten. The key with PE knots is wraps that tie over more wraps and tighten when pressure is applied, a 'cuff' more so than a traditional knot, the load should be spread over the leader rather than concentrated on one point, eg bimini twist, lest you risk slippage or cutting the leader. Midknot is another goodie. Jap jiggers don't use wind-ons, I found out the hard way why: PE will guillotine dacron under extreme pressure even when cat's pawed.:thumbdown:

post-6106-1204716073_thumb.gif

PS. when you cinch down wraps in PE it should darken in colour considerably. That's your clue to a solid connection. :thumbup:

Ohhhh..just got a cold shiver. I read those instructions (No, I can't read japanese) & checked the pics & it looked to me to be exactly what the wife said she would do to me if I left one more old baitfish in the fridge. :1prop:

Seriously thou, that looks the goods Jigholio but if you can excuse my ignorance, what exactly is PE & how is it different (If at all) from mono?

Edited by Boofhead

The yellow line in the picture is braid the japanese call there braid PE and has a rating ie PE 2.5 which from memory is around the 28lb mark. Where we say braid 15lb they just have a single number.

also there rods are rated with a PE number not 10-15kg like here.

As for the knot it looks like a improved albright with a single uni combination

ahhh! improved dbbl blood. not real good thru the guides....but unbreakable! none the less!..........

braid to mono, pulled up a whole reef structure once...shouldn't have said that........

put it all back where it was! :1prop:

..cheers!..stevo!..

Make sure that when you trim the tag end ,leave it a little longer and burr the end with a ciggie or a lighter so it doesnt slip when under pressure.

Cheers Stewy

i find by using superglue on the knot itself it helps the knot hold and reduces splipping. not sure if it affects strength but as yet i have had no dramas.