Fishraiders Whacking The Marlin

mrsswordfisherman

I am very happy that my inaugural post in the gamefishing section is one with lots of activity.

Check out how out our boat of raiders did up at the moshpit at Port Stephens

jewhunter, mrs boban, swordfisherman and myself were successful in catching a marlin each on our first day out with Capt Ross Hunter and deckie emu on Broadbill.

A post of all the details will be posted here soon. For now you may view some of the action of each angler.

SWORDIE ON A STRIPED MARLIN

MRSSWORDIE ON A STRIPED MARLIN

JEWHUNTER AKA THE MARLIN A*** KICKER

MRS BOBAN ON A BLUE MARLIN

Hope you enjoy as much as we did :biggrin2:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

PS A small language warning :blush:

wow,

that looks like some serious fun you guys had,

so much zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ing amazing stuff,

and when they jump next to the boat like that it looks tops,

would love to have a go myself one day, well done to all involved and well done with the footage too excellent job people :1fishing1:

Having just returned home from a most memorable few days on board Broadbill Charters with Ross Hunter and Steve (Emu) this is what happened on tour.

We all arrived at different times to our lodging on the beautiful Port Stephens shore.

Donna and I arrived first followed by Jewhunter who had an 8 hour drive from Murwillumbah on the North Coast :1prop: and then Mitch (boban)and his lovely wife Maryanne.

I had met Mitch previously and hoped Maryanne would be as much fun as Mitch and as it turned out she was every bit a Fishraider as well :yahoo:

All settled into our accomodation at Boondelbah we didnt get much sleep at all with all the excitement that was raging through the place.

Up at 5.15 to prepare for our onslaught of the fabled marlin that Port Stephens is famous for.

Lunches and a host of snacks and drinks and we made our way to the marina to be greeted with a fine day with light winds.

Ross and emu were already waiting for us at 6.15 and as we made our way out of the port anticipation was high as there had been good reports of big bait schools being shadowed by marlin at a place call the "moshpit" some 40 klms offshore.

We motored out in very nice conditions and arrived at the moshie around 10 30 to be greated by a flotilla of hopeful vessels all in search of billfish.

Glenn Hunter also had a full boat of Raiders as well and was right beside us as we entered the strike zone.

On board Glenn's boat was Boofhead, Mcgoose and splinter.

The bait was willing and it didnt take long to deep jig a full string of slimies to be bridled up and slowly trolled to be swallowed by our unsuspecting prey.

Ross was marking a lot of bait at around 50 meters and bigger fish as well and all looked great for some fantastic action.

Having seen a few already hooked up we all were champing at the bit to do battle.

First strike was mrs boban on a great fish that took over 55 minutes to subdue and it was her first really big fish of any kind and she did a fantasic job on the big bent butt 24 kg stick.

Then it was mrsswordies turn on strike with a very fiesty Striped that gave a really good account of itself.

I hadnt caught a Striped marlin as yet and this day was my time as a deep bait set amongst the bait ball scored a solid hit and I was onto my first ever Striped Marlin .

Next was Jewhunter who absolutely hammered a huge Striped marlin in no time flat and we couldnt believe how quick he had the trace up :1yikes: .

4 Marlin in 1 day and a few missed opportunties left us pumped up to the max on the way back to Port.

Offtap and Tun o Fun were out there as well and we said gdayyyyyyyy as we trolled side by side.

Day 2 saw us try for a few big dollies at the fads and we scored a heap of them but only a smattering worth keeping. The bait had thinned at the mosh pit and striikes were few and far between for some reason.

Day 3 saw us get some great little bonito for skip baits around the islands and then it was off to the moshpit with only Billfisher and Broadbill venturing out as the forcast was for a big southerly to hit around 12 noon :thumbdown:

We were almost at the Moshpit and it hit with a vengance, so it was decided to high tail it back to port before conditions worsened.

It was a fantastic trip with awesome company from Donna, Grant, Mitch and Maryanne.

I would also love to thank Captain Ross Hunter and his able deckie "Emu" for a great trip and allowing me to realise my dream of catching a Striped Marlin.

We will be back again sooner than later to get some more of this unreal marlin action from a Ross and his magnificent vessel BROADBILL.

Donna and Maryanne also scored their first Dolphinfish and Maryanne got a nice Striped tuna as well another first for her.

Donna did lose a sizable king at the boat on the light gear when it decided that it liked the look of Broadys hull :thumbdown:

One thing I did regret we did on the trip was eat some sashimi striped tuna :puke: Emu conned mrsboban and myself to sample a piece with wasabi sauce and trust me raiders, there wasnt nearly enough wasabi to mask the crappy taste of striped tuna :074:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Hey Mrsswordie... nice fishing. Since we saw your fish but not Swordie's I reckon he was really playing one of those big Port Stephens Sergeant Baker but hamming it up for the camera so we can't tell that you really out fished him.

Looks like an awesome trip with some fantastic fish... I'm due out in a couple of weeks so I hope we get the same sort of luck from the fish gods!!

Well done on some great vids.

Slinky

Hey Mrsswordie... nice fishing. Since we saw your fish but not Swordie's I reckon he was really playing one of those big Port Stephens Sergeant Baker but hamming it up for the camera so we can't tell that you really out fished him.

Looks like an awesome trip with some fantastic fish... I'm due out in a couple of weeks so I hope we get the same sort of luck from the fish gods!!

Well done on some great vids.

Slinky

Hey slinky - I did not get all of swordie's fight. His marlin made a massive display right beside the boat early, it was so active that we all just stood in awe. Boban and mrs_boban will tell you that a camera was even dropped as it took the photographer by such surprise :)

It is very hard to video these events as others will testify. To catch the jumps is difficult.

The whole thing is a real buzz and the mood of all onboard is electric as they cheer and encourage the angler.

I hope you get to experience this thrill slinky when you go out in a couple of weeks.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

I have actually got a split second of Swordies fish in the air before I dropped the video camera.

Of all the fish this one put up an awesome display right at the beginning. I am still dirty on myself as it would have been some great footage.

You are right though, it was one massive mother of a Sgt Baker, black and silver with blue stripes all over.

Hi Mrsswordie,

Any tips for me on the video or camera front. I'll take mine along to try to get a record of the trip for my mates and me but it didn't look all that easy.

Where was the best spot to perch with the camera?? up high or on the deck??

And with the releases it looks like its all done in a heartbeat at the boatside by locking up the leader... is there likely to be a chance at some photos of the fish beside the boat??

Cheers, Slinky