Botany Bay 18 .2 .08

robeebee

Yeah I know I usually post in lure and fly but there is a reason ( you will have to wait )

Dad and I got on the Bay around 5.45 and it was nice and calm

headed to the end of the runway as i had got smashed by a king there last fortnight

started casting big white jerk shads on my new Daiwa tierra

got my 6 pound gear out as well with a turtleback worm on cast it out back to drift along behind

set it in the rod holder and began casting my king stick , just then the 6 pound gets a hit

reel in the daiwa and proceed to land a small flattie on the light one , released

thought oh well , may as well chuck out another drifter , never know what might happen

started casting the daiwa for no hits and the rod in the holder gets a bend in it

reel in the tierra again so i could grab the other , don't want any tangles

pull it out of the rod holder and it's got some weight to it , so begins a nice struggle

not sure what it is yet , till it's near the boat and it's a good flattie this time

dad is not having much luck by this time , only a couple of nibbles

decided not to drag anything behind this time and concentrate on getting a King, so kept casting the daiwa

5 minutes later I boat another flattie , not much work on my new stick though

wind turns around and we try another drift in the middle of the Bay

change to my 4 pound outfit and have a ball with 30 cm snapper ,every cast , they are everywhere , all

released .

then Dad lands a small whiting , things are looking up , when the whiting come on we usually do well

couple of casts later I get a big hit and a run , gain some line after a minute and call it for a salmon

how wrong could I be when we finally net a 45 cm whiting , gee this fish fought well

Dad then nails a blue swimmer on a gulp , fair dinkum

followed by a screaming fight on his little flick stick to land a good Trev

all goes quiet for a while until I get a little nibble , wait and strike , reel in , a squid on a turtle back worm

I think to myself ,will I , and I say yes

didn't have any bait hooks with me so I set the squid on a 3 / 0 , 1/4 ounce jighead and cast it out the back

put it in the rod holder and began flicking my 4 pound rod around

couple of minutes later i hear a short Zzzzzzzzzzzzing then nothing , oh well

put down the filck stick and check the daiwa , just as i reach for it it's going NUTS

i struggle to get it out of the holder and hang on

to cut a long story short i finally get it to the boat and dad nets my first King , what a feeling

it only went 60 cm's but what a fight , these things are unreal ,took a few pics and let it go

I still cant wipe the smile off my face

now I just need to boat a legal one

Great read Robbee :thumbup:

You sure got your money's worth with a nice variety of species.

Glad you got a kingie...I guess technically, you aren't a kingy virgin any more...well sorta!

That whiting looks like the stretch limo version of a regular whiting...never seen one like

that before...such a long body out of proportion with the rest of it. A true elbow slapper.

With all the species you got on SPs and odd tackle,it looks like the only species you missed was a toady on a ham sandwich :074:

Great sesssion...does this mean you are a full blown salty convert now??

Cheers,

Pete.

mate were there plenty of 30cm snapper around??? I think all the rain has bought them into the bay, was fishing the hacking on the Australia day long weekend after all the rain and was catching 35-40cm snapper all afternoon in the hacking river up near lilly pilli. Got a good feed out of those....

Hi Robbee

Good work on the fish ,especially the Kingy. We went out on Sunday morning at 5:30am and ended up with 19 bream to 38cm , one only flathead at 60 cm , some nice whiting (not to the same size as yours) and a very nice Blue swimmer crab which had attacked my live bait.

Earlier on I had caught a 90 cm shovenose shark also on a live bait ( for 5 minutes I thought i had the biggest flathead ever :074: - oh well!) .

Sunday was a great day on the bay, althought we came in about lunchtime when a smalll storm passed over , but we had great fun with the Bream on 6lb line and light rods.

Fresh bream on the BBQ tonight (perhaps with oregano and a dash of lemon with good quality olive oil) and a very nice entree of a crab ccktail ( a glass of nice chardy as well ?) :1wine:

regards Bill

Edited by Suttons Curse

:thumbup: Well done robeebee. That's quite a variety of fish you've caught there.

Always enjoy reading your reports in Lure & Fly. Like the way you're always concerned that your dad has a good catch as well.

We might see you more in the general fishing section now that you've caught the kingy bug ...

Nice variety Robbie. You've hit the front on SP/s mate, whiting, snapper kingfish, blue swimmers. What type/s, aroma/s, colour/s would you recommended for mud crabs in clear water. Oh I need to know about occies after a lot of fresh if you have the time.

Much appreciated champ :thumbup:

Cheers

Well done mate

jewgaffer :1fishing1: