50+ Pound Kingy - Port Stephens

Discovery

Hello fellow fishing members. Long time reader first time publisher! Felt I should share what I would consider to be an exceptional Kingfish by anybody's standards - particularly considering that this 50 + pound unit was caught just north of Port Stephens.

Just returned from a couple of days of Marlin fishing, Marlin action in close completely shut down most probably due to poor water quality and lack of current and out wide somebody must have hit the off switch, deep blue water, plenty of bait, birds etc perfect conditions we could of gone all the way to New Zealand, had to settle for 1 black.

Highlight of the trip was having a live slimy pinned by what was called a marlin at first, after 10min of fighting the solid fish it was called to be a large shark - species unknown and everybody onboard lost interest until there was a glimmer of colour - called it for a large Jew fish, mood onboard changed and everybody onboard lifted their game including myself. After 15min into the fight or I should say brute battle it had turned into a Kingfish and a fantastic one at that. The skipper tried to net it but needed backup support as he was almost pulled over the side of the boat, after several minutes of huffing and puffing a magnificent kingfish came over the side. We kept the water running through his gills for a couple of minutes while photos where taken and later freed to swim another day!

Wow what a rush and what a pleasure it was to have caught and more importantly the deep down good feeling of letting such a top fish go to live another day!

I've posted a photo of the(Skipper) holding the 50+ pound and myself shaking from the adrenaline rush

Tight Lines and Safe Boating

Fedele

post-7074-1204881356_thumb.jpg

Edited by swordfisherman

Now thats a dream moment, some people would be lucky to get the chance to have just one moment like that in their whole lives. Well done on bringing him in too, but most of all, like mentioned earlier, letting him go, especially at that size most would be tempted to keep him but imagine how much good it'll be doing swimming out there popping more kingies into the waters.

Wonderful stuff, simply fishing at its best. Good on ya :beersmile: