Out Wide

clifford

Hi to all did not make it to ps due to work comitments but got out on sat, left the boat ramp at 6 and made our way to 12 mile were we dropped our lures. We got to the shelf and started to zig zag, it was about 10 when i noticed that the right hand rod was bending but the rubber band for the outrigger was still attached i looked out back when i saw a marlin just take off the rod started to scream. I picked up the rod and held on as the marlin was putting on a great show for us, after about an 30 min in the fight we started to try and plain the fish as it was going down deep this went on for another hour our so. we got it boat side we found the hooks a fair way down it throat we managed to get it out but not much life. We tryed to revive it for about 10 min with no luck, dont know if we took to long getting the hooks out so we gaffed it and dragged it on bourd and made our way back in. When we hit the habour we called friends so no fish went to wast, sorry not alot of photos due to decky had problem with camrea.

post-5193-1205061222_thumb.jpg

post-5193-1205061236_thumb.jpg

You must be absolutely pumped catching your first.

Well done and don't worry too much about killing the fish in those circumstances mate. In any event if you want to keep one, that's up to you. In relative terms you have done nothing in comparison to the pros who take "thousands of tonnes" of Marlin. It's still nice to see them swim off though.

After all your attempts :thumbup:

Firsty congratulations,

She's a nice fish, and you guys did well to get her ! did she spend much time jumping? ot just sulking deep ?

Was she taken on 24kg ?

Good work !

Chris

P.S

. In relative terms you have done nothing in comparison to the pros who take "thousands of tonnes" of Marlin.

Boban,

What you've said obove is the poorest excuse to take a marlin. Recreational fisherman using J hooks, incorrect tackle, and plainly taking their 3 marlin quota per day have quite an impact on Marlin stocks. Fisheries like some up north when a fleet of 80-100 odd boats can see 3-5 fish a day are places where recreational fisherman can impact just as much as pros.

Congrats, a fantastic specimen for your first! Good to hear that she's not going to waste.

Our Current Limits of 3 per day are way too much and exploited.

Anthony

Just to clarify for everyone out there - the new bag limit for marlin is 1 per species (blue, black, stripe). So it is theoretically possible to take 3 in a day, but only if its a grand slam. Hopefully fisheries will make it a bag limit of 1 regardless of species next season.

Cheers.

Gaddie,

Just to clarify it even further, its acctually 1 per species per person per day. So if I have 3 people on board with valid fishing licences I can technically keep 9 marlin, 3 blues, 3 stripes and 3 blacks.

What a joke hey..

Chris

Gaddie,

Just to clarify it even further, its acctually 1 per species per person per day. So if I have 3 people on board with valid fishing licences I can technically keep 9 marlin, 3 blues, 3 stripes and 3 blacks.

What a joke hey..

Chris

Wow, you're dead right. Thanks for the follow-up. You'd probably sink the boat before you hit the bag limit. :thumbdown:

P.S

Boban,

What you've said obove is the poorest excuse to take a marlin. Recreational fisherman using J hooks, incorrect tackle, and plainly taking their 3 marlin quota per day have quite an impact on Marlin stocks. Fisheries like some up north when a fleet of 80-100 odd boats can see 3-5 fish a day are places where recreational fisherman can impact just as much as pros.

Based on the same scientific research as that to justify the marine parks I assume. Ie, none.

If you carefully read what I wrote and put it in context, you will note that my position is not one of "catch and kill". That said, there is a bag limit set by fisheries who are entrusted to do the research and act on that research. If a person wants to kill all the marlin they catch, then legally they can do it, whether you or I agree with that or not. It is no different to big flathead. If you want to make a submission for law changes then go for it.

I think that no sensible person would consider taking 3 marlin home, although (as Anthony says) I'm sure it happens. The fanciful proposition of taking a grand slam each between 3 anglers to get 9 marlin is just that, fanciful. Fisheries knows it as well.

The point I made was that his impact was minimal in the scheme of things and he need not feel guilty about the death of one fish. That is something I stand by. The position is not entirely my own but adopted from that of an infinitely more experienced game fisherman than myself. It may be wrong in your eyes, but it makes sense to me.

In some countries, like Germany, the practice of catch and release is considered inhumane, whereas catch and kill to eat is OK. Whilst I don't agree with that position their argument is not without some basis. What would be thought of you if you put a hook in a bait for a kangaroo to eat because they would put up a good and long fight on 24Kg gear. Some argue there is no difference between that and catching game fish.

You see we all have our opinions. You just happen to think that only yours counts or is the right one.

Cheers

Mitch

(a person who neither purchases nor eats fish)

PS. Perhaps your ire should be directed toward the striped marlin commercial fishery rather than your fellow recreational fisherman.

Here's a short summary of the Striped Marlin Fishery.

http://swfsc.noaa.gov/textblock.aspx?Divis...141&id=1126

"12000 tonnes". If every fish was 100kg on average, that is 120,000 marlin. Think about that number and compare that to the recreational take outlined in the summary.

G'day all.

This is not the thread to discuss one's beliefs or the ethics of taking a legitimate capture.

There are other forums for that.

Some of the comments made have not been warranted & if any more posts are made along the same line this topic will be closed & the member making them will have a little holiday from Fishraider. :1badmood:

Jewhunter,

Site Admin.

Hi clifford

Firstly congrat's on your fish and as mentioned for a while now of it been only a matter of time in coming

im curious to know what refinements to your methods or improvements to your tackle and positioning of

your lures had any bearing on the capture....

namely was it on 24kg or a new outfit bought after recent dissapointing hookup's

was this fish taken on your preferred lure???? what colour??? was it placed in the boats most consistent

position obviously everything held together this time so what helped in contributeing to it.... long leader???

long double maybe a combination of both along with a wind on leader.....or maybe one or neither of the

three i ask you these question's as you epitomise the person who obviously has had his fair share of low's

with dissapointments through line breakages, tackle failures, wrong option's and the like in that learning

curve that we all seem to go through and still do!!!!!!!.......

it may help some of the newbies to the game gain a better understanding in the preperation that is required

for it to all start falling in place correctly and help in getting it together....

Cheers Warnie....

Boban,

If your happy with your reasoning then thats fine. Personally I find it hypocritical to lay blame on the commerical sector if I myself am contributing to the problem as a whole, even if it is on a small scale.

Taking a fish because it has died, and could not be revived is not my issue here, as im sure if the fish could have been revived it would have been released.

Its pitty its a blue marlin, which are not allowed to be commercially taken in the East Coast Tuna and Billfish Fishery. So even though its one Blue Marlin, its one more than the commercial sector has taken.

I've also read the striped marlin fishery report. Keep in mind those statistics are pacific wide, and even though the east coast of australia is part of it, its only a small peice of the pie.

I dont have any issues with taking of a fish especially in the obove circumstances, though I PERSONALLY still feel that using the commerical sector to justify taking a fish is poor form and hypocritical.

Jewhunter,

Can you point me in the directions of the comments I made which were not warranted, I'll gladly remove them.

Chris

No-regrets,

Congrats on a nice blue. These fish really motor when they need to. The speed and power are difficult to describe. On this point I fished on Sunday with my brother Splinters and Cruisecraft. We had a great days fishing out wide which Cruisecraft will post hopefully today ( Some great photos to come) but I will let him tell the tale.

Again, congrats.

Rabs.

PS : If sunday was an indication of the marlin activity off Sydney then I suggest we all quit work and head east - NOW!!

Hi to all sorry about the late reply as i was away for work, ill start with my new approuch i have got ride of all 30 and only run 50w, i have removed my doc and run a daisy chain of little birds with a med bird on the back, i keep my two biggest lures up close to the boat and run smaller ones on riggers with a veriaty of colours from lumo,pink,blues and a black with orange. The one that got taken was the blue with pink under skert 9 inchs from head to skert. All rods have wind on leaders with 2 meter leaders on lures ,all knots retide before going out and drags checked.

We hooked the marlin on a 50w 24kg, it spent about 5min putting on a show before going deep, where it spent most of its time and the size we estimated about 150kg and over, the measurement was 3.3 meters to end of bill.

thanks Clifford

post-5193-1205313448_thumb.jpg

Edited by no-regrets

Hi to all sorry about the late reply as i was away for work, ill start with my new approuch i have got ride of all 30 and only run 50w, i have removed my doc and run a daisy chain of little birds with a med bird on the back, i keep my two biggest lures up close to the boat and run smaller ones on riggers with a veriaty of colours from lumo,pink,blues and a black with orange. The one that got taken was the blue with pink under skert 9 inchs from head to skert. All rods have wind on leaders with 2 meter leaders on lures ,all knots retide before going out and drags checked.

We hooked the marlin on a 50w 24kg, it spent about 5min putting on a show before going deep, where it spent most of its time.

thanks Clifford

Clifford....

Tackle you have upgraded to is a lot more up to the task of what is asked of it

and preperation of the terminal side of things is all sounding so much better

and the results speak for them selves......Once again well done......

also forgot to mention of dont be afraid of going over the button if need be as this can make

all the differance at times paticularly on some stubborn fish you will come across providing you know your drag is set correctly.....

its all just a matter of having confidence in your tackle....

Warnie....

Hi clifford

Firstly congrat's on your fish and as mentioned for a while now of it been only a matter of time in coming

im curious to know what refinements to your methods or improvements to your tackle and positioning of

your lures had any bearing on the capture....

namely was it on 24kg or a new outfit bought after recent dissapointing hookup's

was this fish taken on your preferred lure???? what colour??? was it placed in the boats most consistent

position obviously everything held together this time so what helped in contributeing to it.... long leader???

long double maybe a combination of both along with a wind on leader.....or maybe one or neither of the

three i ask you these question's as you epitomise the person who obviously has had his fair share of low's

with dissapointments through line breakages, tackle failures, wrong option's and the like in that learning

curve that we all seem to go through and still do!!!!!!!.......

it may help some of the newbies to the game gain a better understanding in the preperation that is required

for it to all start falling in place correctly and help in getting it together....

Cheers Warnie....

Im hear to tell you his biggest refinement in practice warnie!!!!! me being on the other side of the world!!!!! damn it!

We never cracked it for one while i was around and i think its going to be a very long time before we have another chance to give it ago again. Hopefully i might get on a charter somewhere over in europe to see if i can crack my first over there!!!!

Well done again ceff!!!!