Towing Problems With A Rav4

rsvnige

Hi Guys ,

Just got a towbar fitted to my RAV and when I got home and went to hook the trailer up I found the towball is so low I cant actually wind the jockey wheel up far enough to get the ball and socket to engage.

The only way was for me to lift the front of the trailer by hand and then get the wifey to swing the jockey wheel out of the way. Once on, the bottom of the trailer at the front seems very low.

Anyone else had this problem and if so any remedy.

The ball can't go any higher or the tailgate won't open.

Thanks guys

With the boat on you would not be able to open the Tail gate anyway.

Then you can get a longer tow ball ie spaced up.

Problem is it will get forgotten and you will dent the tail gate. :ranting2:

is it just a 6" jockey wheel if its a 10" you can fit a 6".

Sorry no real solution

Post a picture, seems weird for a 4wd

Yeah I agree seems weird for a 4WD...altho obviously it's a bit of a hairdressers 4x4.

I know I can turn the tongue up the other way but to be honest thats only going to make a really small difference.

BTW it's a 6 inch wheel.

post-256-1207868555_thumb.jpg

Edited by swordfisherman

I have a similar problem with my Toyota 4runner when the towbar is at a low point. My problem is due to sagging suspension but also occurs when the towbar is at a lowpoint but the tralier and vehicle are higher (which of course happens at the two main areas I use at home).

I only have to lift though to get the jockey wheel to rotate and engage when I am taking it off. I have to actually stand at the side and lift the boat/trailer using my legs & back. Funnily enough I dont have the problem in disengaging when I put the boat on. Go figure.

You may need to look at getting your suspension lifted or fit air shocks to lift/lower rear. I suggest you go back to the intaller though and discuss how they can fix it. You probably wont find a solution that fixs the height and the back door problem.

It could be dangerous the way you are doing it at the moment but does depend on the size of the boat/trailer. If the wife or you stuff it up you may drop the boat or hurt someone.

Additionally you cant use the jockey wheel to check the towbar is engaged, I always wind up the jockey wheel now to check towbar is engaged. A mate related a while back how his boat came through the back window of a mates car after disengaging, luckily at a low speed. It somewhat ruined the trip and could have soured a good friendship.

Go back to the installer.

Good luck

If all else fails you may have to consider re-engineering your trailer yoke. Cut and weld a piece up at a 45 degree angle to achieve the desired height, then resume to the horizontal. Just a thought, I'm no engineer but maybe that's a possibility. I have a RAV 4 also, but don't tow. I can see what your problem is.

You could always purchase a new $100,000.00 Landcruiser!

I only have the problem if trying to attach the trailer when both the car and boat are on a level surface.

My boat is stored in the front yard and when I back the car up to it, its rear is high (due to the slope of the yard)

With this in mind, do you store the boat in the same place each time? if so you only need to make a "ramp" this could be a lump of wood the tyres sit on to lift the back end high enough to lower the trailer off the jockey wheel. You only need to use it to hook up the trailer, unhooking just rotate the jockey wheel and trailer come off.

I only have the problem if trying to attach the trailer when both the car and boat are on a level surface.

My boat is stored in the front yard and when I back the car up to it, its rear is high (due to the slope of the yard)

With this in mind, do you store the boat in the same place each time? if so you only need to make a "ramp" this could be a lump of wood the tyres sit on to lift the back end high enough to lower the trailer off the jockey wheel. You only need to use it to hook up the trailer, unhooking just rotate the jockey wheel and trailer come off.

Yeah I reckon that might be the solution..as long as I can get the bloody thing off the driveway withtout the trailer os towbar hooking up on the transition between drive and road.

Bloody boats..who thought that;d be a good idea..???

G'day

I had a similar problem with a Landrover Discovery series 3 - not the air suspension model and a 7m, 3 tonne boat so there was lifting onto the towball as an option

2 things you can do as i had to;

1. get a new 'goose neck' with more lift but looks like you don't have the standard box shaped fitting so I don't know if you have much option there

2. get a high lift towball - gives you another maybe 2 inches of height - the base of the towball which screws into the gooseneck is taller

I did both and my rig is 100% awesome with no ill effects

check out your insurance as it may pose a risk in case of claim but sometimes you have no choice and you take a chance and assess the risk

good luck

just take your car down to a good trailer or automotive spares place and see what they have - they'll likely have a number of options

Evan

had this prob. with dads 4wd we shortened the idler wheel as that was the fastest way

shorten from the wheel end, this is pritty simple

could you post a pic with the boat hooked up one close and one withcar and boat on a level peace off road

gary

keep in mind that when towing a trailer, the trailer should be flat when attached to the vehicle. If it is angled down at the front, this will apply more weight onto the towball and thus could exceed the load rating of the towbar. This may inturn void all insurance in case of an accident

G'day

I had a similar problem with a Landrover Discovery series 3 - not the air suspension model and a 7m, 3 tonne boat so there was lifting onto the towball as an option

2 things you can do as i had to;

1. get a new 'goose neck' with more lift but looks like you don't have the standard box shaped fitting so I don't know if you have much option there

2. get a high lift towball - gives you another maybe 2 inches of height - the base of the towball which screws into the gooseneck is taller

I did both and my rig is 100% awesome with no ill effects

check out your insurance as it may pose a risk in case of claim but sometimes you have no choice and you take a chance and assess the risk

good luck

just take your car down to a good trailer or automotive spares place and see what they have - they'll likely have a number of options

Evan

My Suzuki has a bend in the tongue so it sits 6" higher however it blocks part of the number plate which I guess they fitted a staight tongue, I've been lucky with the cops so far so far, of course if you have the receiver type of hitch you legally have to remove it when not towing so its not a problem.

turn towbar tounge the other way .....attach trailer & measure how much clearance you have between the hitch and the tailgate (so you can open the door)

for example you could get another 3inches of clearance without hindering the tailgate operation

remove the tounge and take it enginering shop and get them to through it in there press and bend it till you get the extra height you want

do not cut it as there very few folks that can weld 20mm of steel by that i mean you can weld it but i doubt you would get the penitration through the whole thing unless your a welder by trade and have the right equipment

cheapest option is get the tounge bent up a bit more to give you the height you need

cheers arman

Yeah I agree seems weird for a 4WD...altho obviously it's a bit of a hairdressers 4x4.

I know I can turn the tongue up the other way but to be honest thats only going to make a really small difference.

BTW it's a 6 inch wheel.

post-256-1207868555_thumb.jpg

Turn the tongue the other way and put a few washers to lift it up as much as needed.

Use 2 nuts to tighten the ball after placing the washers as the second nut(lower) tightens the upper nut to the towball and tongue which will eliminate any slipping.

Turn the tongue the other way and put a few washers to lift it up as much as needed.

Use 2 nuts to tighten the ball after placing the washers as the second nut(lower) tightens the upper nut to the towball and tongue which will eliminate any slipping.

I wouldn't use washers as most manufactures say not to do so. Ask a towbar fitter and if he says it's Ok then I would but if not stay away from anything that isn't standard.

A good tool maker could even make you a custom tow ball and that would save the dramas of washers perhaps.

Just a thought.

Regards Stewy

Just had another thought!!

Could you move your jockey wheel closer to the hitch? this will allow the hitch to be at its lowest point with the jockey wheel all the way down.

Or, if you are going to make modifications then modify your jockey wheel not the car, have someone weld the mounting plate lower so you can get the hitch down far enough so the jockey clears the ground when connected to the car.

I have been using treated pine sleepers to level out the boat when leaving it on a slope out the front (makes it easier to clean).

Same idea as gone_wishin as a ramp

A thick sleeper cut into a foot and a half length behind each car tyre when the boat is in position and just drive car on.

hopefully the thick sleeper allows enough clearance for the jockey wheel.

quick and cheap way out

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys thanks all so much for the replies. `So flipped the tongue over and it's loads better. It does just fowl the bottom of the tailgate but that parts only plastic so pretty flexible. Bit of tape to protect the paint should be fine.

Just got it off the drive to check nothing hits the floor and it seems all good.

Was concentrating so hard not to hit anything as I reversed it back up the drive that I failed to notice the smoke coming out of the clutch...oops....need to stop messing about and just drive it on.

Anyway thanks again for all your help..no doubt I'll be asking for more later.

Hi Guys ,

Just got a towbar fitted to my RAV and when I got home and went to hook the trailer up I found the towball is so low I cant actually wind the jockey wheel up far enough to get the ball and socket to engage.

The only way was for me to lift the front of the trailer by hand and then get the wifey to swing the jockey wheel out of the way. Once on, the bottom of the trailer at the front seems very low.

Anyone else had this problem and if so any remedy.

The ball can't go any higher or the tailgate won't open.

Thanks guys

i had this problem with my jeep. what i did was bought a new tongue with a greater angle in the curve, turned it upside and turned the ball to the top of the tonge. lift the ball to higher ground. i also removed the spare so i could get my hands in to hook the trailer to the ball. it is a pain as you lose your spare but at least you get the boat out.