Cheeky Arvo Session

Mondo Rock

Some days the fishing gods smile upon you.

Had the afternoon off and thought why not head down to the rocks for a flick to see what's around. Didn't have any bait so I took a selection of lures (squid jigs, poppers and slices). I knew the seas were up and the wind from the south, and that my chances for squid were nil unless I could find some protected and calm water, so I pulled out the Gregories and picked the most protected and north-facing headland I could find nearby.

I'd not fished there before so didn't know what to expect, but when I arrived the conditions looked great - calm water, wind at my back and not too much surge. Good for squiddies and easy for me to fish without getting wet.

Before tying on a jig I gave the popper a few speculative casts - I love poppers - and blooped it around. Fourth cast and it was nailed on the third bloop with a satisfying swirl and good weight on the 8lb gear. Five minutes of great fighting and this fella is landed:

post-1263-1208518583_thumb.jpg

He was very co-operative for the photos so got a close up too:

post-1263-1208518615_thumb.jpg

I don't care what people say - Tailor are a pretty fish. He got to swim another day for being such a good little guy.

Anyway, couldn't raise another so switched to squid jigs. Got out my favourite little yo-zuri, the Green monster. He's very popular with the squiddies, as you can see from the beak marks.

post-1263-1208519432_thumb.jpg

The bottom jig is my other favourite - in yellowtail colours. Also a hit with the squid, and each jig must have caught over 30 squid in their lives (to date). Both bought on the advice of Tony from Fishfinder.

Three or four casts later and the squid arrived. Landed six in quick succession, two just by tossing the jig in at my feet and watching the squid zoom in and attack - gotta love sight fishing. I was very suprised as I really didn't expect to find squid while the seas were so rough.

This was the day's catch of cephlapods:

post-1263-1208518626_thumb.jpg

That was enough for me so I called it quits and headed home. What a great hour by the water.

I must admit that I love catching tailor especially on light gear. On poppers, they can be truly awesome when they are in a feeding frenzy. Off Tomaree about this time of the year, they can be very thick and voracious. So much so that you can get more than one on the same lure. I love it, but its not that frequent.

Sounds like you had a good short session. I always say that fishing is a thinking man's sport. Top stuff.

those squid need a swim with some 10/0s

Three of them will get their chance - the other three got a swim in some vegetable oil with a tempura wetsuit!

Simon is that little sheltered spot easy to access? Jew would know where to go to get more like that, that's for sure.

Sure is - I guess with tailor and squid on offer the jewies must come round to visit on a regular basis. Might be worth a visit for my next night session (although I'm still obsessed with getting one off the beach ATM).

I always say that fishing is a thinking man's sport.

More than any other in the world Boban. I couldn't agree more.

Congrats on a good session! That looks like a good tailor!

May i ask what type of popper that is mondo?

black dog - i think that it is glowmax which is an attractant that is used when chasing squid

Edited by dicko

just one question....

whats in the spraycan in the squid photo ????

It's Egimax - an imitation prawn scent from Japan. There's a 'glo' variety and a normal one - the one in the photo is the normal one. Pretty expensive and I'm not sure it's that effective. I often don't use it and still catch squid, although today I did use it.

May i ask what type of popper that is mondo?

I honestly don't know, it's just a random one that I've acquired somewhere. I find that as long as the popper is shiny the tailor will hit it if they're around.

Edited by Mondo

Well Simon, I must say You are “The Man” when it comes to Squid fishing!!! Several times now I have come out with you we landed some good size squid, I must make another trip up soon!

Well done, bet they tasted yummy as well! :thumbup:

Here are some squid that Mondo and I picked up one arvo, again, I was amazed how quickly he can find a good spot and land them, and just totally unrelated to fishing is a photo of 3 kookaburras on Mondos balcony? I really see one but 3 so close was a real treat!!

post-1420-1208822619_thumb.jpg

post-1420-1208822666_thumb.jpg

Here are some squid that Mondo and I picked up one arvo, again, I was amazed how quickly he can find a good spot and land them, and just totally unrelated to fishing is a photo of 3 kookaburras on Mondos balcony?

Hey Grebbo. You were amazed ay, Mondo's got it all down to a fine art these days, heaps of squid and beachworms right on his doorstep. Those 3 kookaburras on the balcony unrelated to fishing, ay, take another look, they're not just innocent bystanders that's for sure. Have you been watching the antics of Simon's pet crows lately? :D

jewgaffer :lol:

Edited by jewgaffer