The Poon Hole 2 - 20/1/05

Ken A

I decided to walk down to my new tarpon spot this afternoon & try very hard to actually land one :biggrin2:

I arrived at 6.00pm but the sun was still a little high for any action so I wandered up a small creek checking it out. I'll be checking that area out tomorrow night it looks promising.

Anyhow as the sun set there were signs of surface activity & the odd tarpon was about gulping so I started tossing a Buggi Pop around. It wasn't long till it got smashed by a nice little Tarpon about 40cm which tossed the hooks about 2 metres from the bank. Next cast got smacked near some lily pads & I was very pleasantly surprised to land a small Bass of about 24cm (pic below) . I was very happy to find there are Bass in the Poon Hole :biggrin2:

I got back into it just as the Mozzies really got fierce inspite of being doused in RID. They are just absolutely in plague at this spot. I need to find a Pom to come fishing with me :biggrin2: Anyhow I got 3 more small Bass between 20 & 22cm all released of course & managed to temporarily hook 4 more Tarpon one of which was a great fish & took several runs against heavy drag before spitting the hooks. He made several jumps & looked to be around 60cm.

At 7.25pm I gave it away the mozzies were just too bad :thumbdown:

All up a fun session & I'll go back & brave the insects again tomorrow night :biggrin2:

Heres the little Bass - the first Bass I have caught in years, I had forgotten how hard they pull :biggrin2:

post-1-1106214148_thumb.jpg

I always thought Bass was only a stocking proposition in QLD! :1yikes: Didnt think you would get them wild. Good going Ken!

What makes a 'Poon so hard to land? Why do they keep throwing hooks? Could you rig a single rather than a treble on your lure Ken?

I'm happy to share the Mozzies mate. I'll box em up & post them if you like :biggrin2:

Actually I'm kicking myself for not exploring more & finding this spot sooner.

Joe its a mostly man made lake so someone must have dropped some bass in at some stage.

Tarpon have a funny shaped mouth Joe & its damn hard as well. I was using single hooks tonight after dropping so many the other night. It made no difference at all. I was going to try a single hook SP but I was having so much fun watching them smack the popper I couldn't be bothered changing over.

I just want one for a photo & I'll get it sooner or later. Guess I'll just have to keep wandering down there at sun set :biggrin2:

Top stuff Ken, bass arent a bad alternative when chasing any fish, a poon at 60 cms would have been good fun. I heard Rid and the other repelants have some chemical in them that arent that good for you, but you could say that about everything I suppose. seems like the mozzies dont mind anyhow.

I've been enjoying these 'Poon' posts Ken. Can't wait to see the pics of the one you land. Have you thought about using something like this? You'd have to break out your finesse gear to deliver it (or use fly gear :1tongue: ).

foampopper.jpg

Good luck with it.

Wayne

I have a couple of things to try tonight . I'm going to try both single hooks & a trailing hook. My fly outfit is a 10 weight & it would be a bit like shooting rabbits with an elephant gun :biggrin2: Still if all else fails............................................ :biggrin2:

Yet more reason to brave the mozzies tonight. :biggrin2: I was walking past the area near where I fish this morning in a section that has a lot of lilly pads & I saw a Bass that must have been very close to 35 to 38cm slurp a cicada off the surface then slowly swim back under the lillies.

Where there is 1 there are more & maybe even larger ones :biggrin2: