Shimano: Stradic, Sustain Or Twin Power

Kruzenvax

Hi all,

I've been using my Shimano Symetre 2500 for a long time - casting metal lures for salmon & like as well as fishing for bass and throwing tasmanian devils for trout. The reel is worn and battered now and I'd like to replace it with new Shimano (for reasons specific to me I'm looking Shimano) reel; the budget is around $250.

I'd appreciate and advise - what should I get: Stradic, Sustain... or should I go over and (if there's a compelling reason - e.g. a "big" feature that makes $$$$ worthwhile) to get Twin Power?

Thanks

I own a couple of symetre 2500s and a Stradic 2500fi (2008 model), the stradic is a fairly big step up from the symetre in terms of quality and performance in my mind.

To be honest the differences between the stradic and the twinpower weren't really worth the difference in price IMHO.

I have used the twinpower and it was a nice reel but I wouldn't say it was much different to the stradic for the price.

For under 200 bucks from the US the current stradics are great value.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Tony Soprano

Someone correct me if i am wrong, but Sustains are more expensive than Twin Powers and are a slightly better reel

If your budget is around $250 i think the stradic will be your best reel for that price range. the 2008 model is great though, if you want to spend abit more go to the twin pwer or sustain, i own the 2008 sustain and they are solid and smooth reel

Edited by Mark's

I got a new stradic a few months back and couldn,t be happier with it.

very well built the sustain is not worth the extra.Twinpower's are nice but

i would wait for the new one 2009 twinpower.If you went that way

look at the saros as Iceman has said

Thanks all,

Looks like stradic is the one to go. Just one thing - nowhere (even for more expensive Twin Power) waterproof/washable drag is mentions, unlike say, Daiwa. So does Shimano produce this kind of drags?

Kruz

Go into a shop and have a look it looks like it is waterproof as i has a rubber inverted seal

into the top of the spool. which is similar to the daiwa but i think shimano might not be saying it is water proof nothing mentioned on the box. mine is the 1000 stradic.

They produce a water proof drag on the big spheros

hi kruzenvax

i bought the stradic 2500fi a couple weeks ago it says in instruction manual it has waterproof drag .

its a great reel caught a few trout on it allready. brought it to replace my old 2000 model after 12 years the handle starts to spin backwards when a fish starts to pull drag.

jim

i recently upgraded as you are from a symetre 2500FI and bought a 2008 sustain.

saved the few extra dollars and am very happy i did. strong and smooth as previously noted and waterproof drag. i have fished mine hard in adverse conditions over the last few weeks and found it to be great.

braid and mono 8lb, mostly wash fishing and getting a workout/over from the odd drummer/trevally/bream.

it casts well due to the new line lay and spool design and is really smooth with the extra bearings.

spare spool is identical to supplied one and overall it feels robust in build.

can't fault it yet, am very happy so far.

do your research and decide what your style of fishing would benefit from in the way of features and buy accordingly. each upgrade DOES offer rewards, however each price point offers great value for money throughout the range.

Whatever you decide, make sure it has the new Aerowrap II line management otherwise, you will be spending most of your time untangling wind knots and spending all you hard earned on new line. :1badmood:

The new Twinpower is superb. It is nearly a Stella!! Heaps of drag annd with 8 bearings and a roller, smooth as poo. That said, my brother has a few Stradics and they are great value. If you get one from the US, you will only spend 160-170AUD. :biggrin2:

The Saros 2500F, which I have, is great, is cheaper than a Stradic and is similar in build quality. Both are smoothasssss.

However, the Symetre 2500 FI which I sold to a fellow FR had a higher drag rating of 15lb !! I don't know if you see that as a step down or not, but it certainly has not affected my fishing since I fish 4lb braid.

Symetre FI & Stradic FI - 15lb of drag vs Saros F 11lb of drag.

The Saros 2500F is new in the line up so you won't get many people commenting about them - but they are comparable to the old Stradic FH. The new Stradic FI's are quite a step up in 'technology' from the old ones.

New Stradic FH & Saros F is made in Malaysia while old FH is from Japan. I personally don't believe the rubbish people say that quality is better if it is made in Japan since all have 10 year warranty.

Ceph,

If I may ask for some assistance here: wind knots cause me troibles sometimes. How do I check ths model I'm after actually has this Aerowrap II - e.g. do I trus what's on the web site and/or the box? For example, on Simano website Stradic has Aerowrap II in its list of features; Twin Power does not...

Also, should it be listed on the box (e.g. website spec has Aerowrap II, but I get an older model reel from the store), etc. Or it can be checked by visually inspecting the reel?

Thanks

Whatever you decide, make sure it has the new Aerowrap II line management otherwise, you will be spending most of your time untangling wind knots and spending all you hard earned on new line. :1badmood:

The new Twinpower is superb. It is nearly a Stella!! Heaps of drag annd with 8 bearings and a roller, smooth as poo. That said, my brother has a few Stradics and they are great value. If you get one from the US, you will only spend 160-170AUD. :biggrin2: