Jervis Bay Winter Kings

brendong

As mentioned in Fishing Chat last week (thanks to all Raiders for their tips), a few mates and I went down to Jervis Bay for the weekend chasing the mighty winter Kings.....

We stayed at Currarong right next to the boat ramp with an awesome outlook. Boat ramp a little dodgy but hey when your right on top of it who's complaining.

Thursday (I worked) the boys managed just one Rat King on the troll

Friday (I worked) tough day for the boys Squid hard to come by and couldn't really find the kings. Down rigging the cliff's for Nil, but a 70cm bonito dragged out of the wash when casting metals whilst down

rigging so not a complete loss. Fished return to fight again.

Friday arvo (I'm still at work :ranting2: ) managed just one king just drifting wide using livies. A couple of big models hooked but crashed on the bottom. Then the large scale smelly Pike moved in and started pinching the liveies before the kings had a chance.

I arrived Friday night.

6.30am start....again no yakka's in the bait grounds and only managed a few squid. Changed location and managed a few Gar's and one yakka. Started down rigging around 10.30am, followed the cliff's until we found them and then wham almost every pass saw us loaded but the fish weren't massive only around the 75 to 80 mark. One large model hooked but again crashed on the reef even though we were trying to pull him out to deeper water. (no amount of 80lb braid, 100 lb leader and almost full tilt drag was going to stop this fella) :ranting2:

post-4925-1211970582_thumb.jpg

post-4925-1211970497_thumb.jpg

In for lunch and out again after smashing a quick burger hoping the livie situation might have picked up.

Again tough going with just three reasonable squid and no yakka's, hundreds of jackets though :1badmood: (Here's a tip if jackets move into the bait grounds, turn on your electric flat stick throw your jacket at the flying prop, slice the jacket open and watch his mates smash him. At tleast then you can target the yakka's). Straight back to the same grounds. Downrigged a whole squid around 35 cm in length with the silly stick 50lb braid and 80lb leader. Hooked an absolute ball buster and again headed seaward, full tilt drag, reel screaming and ping....busted off at the top hook of the stinger rig. :ranting2:

Another squid down, perfect king size heaps of passes until night fall and last pass another ball buster climbs on and crashes us on the the reef yet again :ranting2:

Coming home under the cloak of darkness, past those crazy's that camp on the cliff's at Jarvis Bay all night. (i guess they thought we were just as crazy fanging home after dark dodging bombies in a reasonable swell and Southerly blowing)

Wow what a weekend!!! Those larger model kings, than we Mole point fisho's are used too, certainly taught us a thing or two. First time using the down rigger too but we learn't heaps and will be ready for them next time. (no more silly sticks)

If you can get there, do it....

(We now have max respect for Neil from Adventure Bound that single handedly nails 20kg kings, manouvering the boat, bring up the down rigger, gaining line and boating those beasts...he need a freaking gold medal)

Edited by Poddy Trapper

I was speaking to my brother who lives at Greenwell Point and he told me a couple of guys are using 300lb straight through and scored a 90lb King :1yikes:

There are some big boys down there thats for sure.

Nice report.

Cheers Stewy

Well done on getting down there. It's been great weather for it. Nice work on the kings and bad luck about the bigger fellas you got busted off by. I was down at JB about 7 weeks ago and the leatherjackets are running rampid. Try and get on the water before light. Wen it is dark the leatherjacket have all but dissapeared. Get your bait early!

Another technique that has worked apart from attempting to skull drag a big kingie of the reef is to free spool the fish on its first few runs. Then when he slows up, put the pressure back on.

I wil be heading down in a few weeks. Well done on the kings guys, sounds like u had a great time (and yes, definately hats off to Neil Tedesco, those hoodlums are tough buggers)

I was speaking to my brother who lives at Greenwell Point and he told me a couple of guys are using 300lb straight through and scored a 90lb King :1yikes:

There are some big boys down there thats for sure.

Nice report.

Cheers Stewy

I can only imagine.....I have heard and seen 150-200lb line being used but 300! You would have to use and electic to pull it in ,winchthat is.... :1yikes:

Good report there mate from a weekend fishin for kings at JB,you still caught a couple of nice fish even though you got busted up by the big bruisers down there.Believe me,not much can stop these big kings

from getting to the bottom,its only luck that you see the occassional one landed.Its not that deep,so they

havn't got far to run before reaching the reef.

Great spot to fish for them down there,im sure you will get back there soon for another go!

Well done - great report. Give us a bit more info about the Currarong ramp pls. Is it concrete, rock or sand? Do you need a 4WD? I assume you weren't fishing in the Bay itself, but somewhere between Currarong and the JB heads.

Thanks Raiders, will definately get back there again....annual winter mission seems to be the talk amongst the boys....I think some are heading back next weekend...the joys or no kids or grown up kids....

Benzeenees

Currarong ramp is a sand launch, I just used my NON AWD Territory to pull and push a 5m Stacer bowrider. Sand is pretty hard but you have to get you wheels wet. The day before I got there one of the boys used a Camry and got in a little trouble being front wheel drive.

The locals just rock up in their 1970's model tractors run their 6 m Whalers about 8 meters into the drink. Great set up if you are there all the time.

Plus's no ques and heaps of parking, but i'm sure its different come Christmas time.

And yes we fished the cliff's between Currarong and JB.....I didn't realise just how far it is.

Geez it's great to hear reports of solid kings giving fishos hell. It's what I am out for each and every time. Just hooked up a coupla down riggers to our new super tinny, and first trial this Sunday!

Good on ya for hooking up all those beasts and for having the stamina to stay out all day in the swell and southerly. Man some days you just can't get a keen fisho off the water hey! I forget the time quite regularly and as a result spend the last part of the day kissing up to my other half :1prop:

I believe that Shoalhaven Council is going to build a concrete ramp at Currarong. Does anyone know any more about it. BTW Poddy, where did you stay? Do you think I'd have any problems with using my falcon station wagon - it doesn't have the clearance of a territory.

Edited by Benzeenees

I was lucky enough to stay in one of the houses that overlooks the boat ramp at massive mates rates....but I hear the caravan park is just around the corner. No doubt there would be a spare cabin or two.

My mate launched his boat with a front wheel drive camry wagon and when loaded with a boat sits as low as I've ever seen a tow bar. He didn't say he bottom out anyware. The sand is pretty solid though so if you don't muck around you should be right. Depending on the size of your boat you might need to get the back of your car wet. My mate did, tailpipe bubbles I hear....nothing a good hose off and selling your vehicle in 12 month time before the rust kicks in shouldn't fix...just kidding.

nathen - Shoalhaven is the local council.

poddy - I think I'll wait for the new ramp. I've never driven my car into salt water but even so I just had to replace the exhaust and catalytic converter - $1800. In the meantime, Greenwell Point isn't that far away.

Edited by Benzeenees

If you are coming from the other side is it far to the Kingie grounds?

I fish out of Sussex Inlet but was thinking of dragging my boat round to Murrays beach ramp and having a go, I just love watching that Adventure Bound JB Kings DVD :beersmile:

Cheers Alby

Guest Big-Banana

I believe that Shoalhaven Council is going to build a concrete ramp at Currarong. Does anyone know any more about it. BTW Poddy, where did you stay? Do you think I'd have any problems with using my falcon station wagon - it doesn't have the clearance of a territory.

I hit Currarong 4 or 5 times a year, great spot, but that ramp has been promised for a very very long time. I take my Falcon Station Wagon down there and I've never had a problem, the car does get very wet though, but the fishing worth it. Unfortunately theres no way around it, unless you stay at JB and drive the whole way around.

Just give the car a good clean after with a bit of salt ex and you'll be fine.

Are the grounds far from Crookhaven ramp? That ramp is fantastic and heaps of parking. Used to fish the crookhaven river at least 4 times a year and know that area well just never gone much past Culburra beach out the heads and only just drifter for flatties out there. is it much further?

According to Google Earth, its about 16km from Crookhaven to the peninsular east of Currarong. Its around the same distance from the Murray's Beach Ramp. But if you want to fish the Sir Joseph Young Banks area, Crookhaven is 18km away compared to 14km for Currarong. Shoalhaven Council need to extract the digit!

Not gonna give the spot away but it was along the cliff's there between Currarong and JB but I reckon they just move around and follow the bait schools and if you keep trying the cliff's you find them. I think the secret is to down rig for them though for constant hook up rates.....but I'm sure they take a livie also....

Alby / VA911 - I've never fished out of JB or Culburra so couldn't really advise distances....I guess its probably only 5 minutes from Curranrong boat ramp to the first cliff's though, which are very protected from southerly winds and swells.

Edited by Poddy Trapper

Guest Big-Banana

Mate, there aren't any secret spots down there, anywhere from 18-22m is good this time of year, and the entire run from Currarong to Drum & Drumsticks produces. Just be careful of the exclusion zones!!!

Nice Kingies mate! :1yikes:

JB is a old hunting ground of mine, there are some big kings there.I remember loosing a local king at the boat once must have been around 40kg mark. It had hooks,line,leader hanging from it gob & also had some scaring on its body. Was lost due to forgotton gaff and trying to lift a 80lb fish into the boat.....

LOVIN IT TOP JOB GUYS!

Cam

Yeah I had a look on the map. You guys are further north than I thought. Its still a bit of a hike from Murrays beach Ramp. I'm probably better hanging around closer the JB heads.

Heading down this weekend but not confident that I will get an opportunity to give it a go with this weather

Cheers Alby