Awesome Day On The Fin

Boban

To say we had a perfect day is certainly an understatement. Go Fish Pete, Stewy and myself have a great day on the fin that we will savour for a long time to come.

Perfect conditions, great company and a day when almost everything went right. Almost everything.

We started out following Billfisher to the spot before trolling for a some time before arriving at the final spot. We were about a kilometre from Billfisher and started cubing at about 12.30.

The first run was on the live yakka which was the only one we scored through what appeared to be a mountain of sweep. There run was shortlived with no hookup but it was a good sign anyway.

I was tired having only had a few hours of sleep when my rod went off in a big way.

Straight away you could feel the weight of this fish. It was big. When we finally got some colour, we could see for ourselves that this was a big fish. After a long time about with about 10 metres between us and the fish we finally got a chance at a gaff shot. Stewy was concerned that the gaff was a little light on for this fish and I now wished that I got the flying gaff from Pete the day before.

Well what do you reckon happened next? Stewy takes his "pussy pills" then goes and lands a direct hit on the fishes head. It goes ballistic and heads straight under the boat pinning Stewy's arm against the hull before he is forced to let go. The 60Lb leader popped and we were all gutted. Stewy had some pain to go with it. This was easily my best tuna and I thought ..... well better I keep that to myself.

Truth be told we were better off waiting another 10 mins until he was floating on the surface and completely stuffed before we gaffed it. We rigged up a makeshift tethered gaff and thats exactly what we did from there on.

Then within about 10 minutes of that disappointment, Stewy's rod went off and he was gaining line pretty quickly on his fish, before the fish realised what the hell was going on. No, no, no (any winehouse style) it went and the pussy pills were wearing off as Stewy was going in for the long haul. Memories of why he likes bream fishing started to flood back as Stewy and the tuna started to put the hurt on each other. When this thing came up I said to Stewy that there was no way I was gaffing this mother until it was well and truly stuffed. This time we were a little more patient and timed the gaff shot perfectly before reefing this thing over the gunwales. At about a metre and half this way one big fish.

Pete's outfit went off soon after and in what appeared to be a short time he had a 45Kg model come up completely stuffed. We thought that he must have been gut hooked but when I checked for the hook, that wasn't the case at all. A perfect corner of mouth hookup. At that size Pete was happy. So happy in fact that he held the fish for about 10 minutes before we put it under the floor and on ice. He was like a schoolboy with his first love.

The boys were adamant that I was not going to go home without a fish and that's exactly as it panned out. For the next hour and a bit, I was onto one stubborn fish which I initially called for a 20kg model. It was all too easy at the start, way too easy.

During this time Billfisher came over to us and set their lines. There were some massive fish swimming in our berley trails while I was fighting this fish. Pretty soon the boys on Billfisher had a double hookup of which they ended up with one. But I still hadn't landed my fish. We had a few hairy moments but eventually it was boated by the boys with the fish well and truly worn out. So was I.

We left the boys on Billfisher with the fish still on the bite. The conditions only got better as the day was coming to a close and we got to speed back at 30 knots.

Im tired as I type this but I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

A big thank you to Glenn Hunter, you are a champion mate, which is not at all surprising given your genes.

As to the other two, lets do it all again.....

post-4273-1212155175_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1212155206_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1212155237_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1212155282_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1212155308_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1212155333_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1212155377_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1212156945_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1212155397_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1212155421_thumb.jpg

post-4273-1212155456_thumb.jpg

AND GUESS WHAT.....TUNA EAT SWEEP.

Edited by Boban

Cracker of a report guys.

Were you on browns or how far wide.

Thanks.

We were wide of Browns but we followed Glenn out so Im not exactly sure how far past Browns we were.

Well done fellas, nice yft :thumbup:

I was out there with crew in tow and it was a fantastic day, plenty of

raiders out and about it was like a Fishraider yft social day.

penguin

It was a bit like that. How did you go?

We were wide of Browns but we followed Glenn out so Im not exactly sure how far past Browns we were.

It was a bit like that. How did you go?

We did alright, 19 yft landed 2 lost and 12 sent back to the depths.

penguin

Thanks Mitch and Pete for an awesome day out in perfect conditons :yahoo:

I was gutted after that huge fin belted me up and we just stood looking at Mitch in disbelief after all the hards yards had been done.

Those Fin were bruisers on 24kg and we spent way over an hour on the bigger ones which makes the sweat run pretty hard.

I would like to thank our champion sponsor Glenn Hunter for allowing us to tag along with him for saftey and security.I dont normally go that wide in anything under 45 foot because I am a pussy :074: but the day will stay etched in my mind forever with the great company of two very nice guys who love thier sport as much as I do.

It was great to leave when we had enough fin to feed all our families and the trip home in mitch's 6mt Cruisecraft was amazing at over 30 knots into a magnificent setting sun.

It was a long evening dressing the Fin for a feed and I had my mum come over with her friend and fellow member Smitty to get it all carved up.

Here a few shots I took of mitch on his big fish and "Billfisher " showing us the easy way out :thumbup:

post-256-1212186268_thumb.jpg

post-256-1212186282_thumb.jpg

post-256-1212186294_thumb.jpg

post-256-1212186308_thumb.jpg

post-256-1212186320_thumb.jpg

post-256-1212186333_thumb.jpg

post-256-1212186346_thumb.jpg

post-256-1212186360_thumb.jpg

post-256-1212186377_thumb.jpg

Thanks again fellas for a top day out at the mountain.

Cheers Stewy

Wow Mitch that is a fantastic report!

Very nice fish well done Mitch Pete and Stewey

What a day you guys had.

I am deep dark green with envy!

Pete leave some fish in the sea... are you having a good month or what?

I told the fellas in the shop you were in for a BIG day.

cheers

inhlanzi

Wow! Terrific Report - shame about your fish, Boban! :05: I guess Stewy was really lucky his arm is still in one piece!! Where is that pic of the bloke being pulled overboard when he gaffed the biggie??

A successful day all up! :) Well done Billfisher!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Guest GoFish Pete

Thanks again for the invite Mitch.

How good is it to go out and get Fin twice in the one week and to up the Pb Yellofin to 41kgs.

Shame that we lost the first one but thats what fishing is all about , ups and downs.

Now we are riding on a high that will last a while same as the very good supply of tuna steaks.

Just gotta get a nice Jewie now and perhaps a Blackfish or two and I will be very happy indeed.

Thanks again Mitch and Stewie

cheers

GoFish Pete

Stewy,

I chilled the 'fin overnight,and just dined on sashimi,and am patiently awaiting the wife to panfry some more.

It will be very rare! There is nothing like fresh fish you catch yourself.

Cheers Mark.

Just had 4 great steaks with the mrs ,MMMMM MMMMMM MMMMMMMM with a little lemon and lime juice :yahoo:

Still got a bit left :074:

Cheers Stewy

come on guys ace it up.....

what about us mere mortals who have to work while your out there enjoying yourselves...

and now your making me sit through this tuna steaks an sushimi.... AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH...

i cannot take it any more...... wheres that time portal to zap me 3 weeks ahead to tuna time.... :074::074::074:

guys you killed it out there well done :thumbup::thumbup: ..

hope they stay around till i can get out there...

mark i think your effort on fly deserves a very special :thumbup::yahoo: as thats a real special thing to do....

yft on fly... go figure... have you ever tempted a beakie on fly,now that id love to see live....

cheers...steve.....

fantastic report guys ,and how about those seas your killing me with those pics

how big was that fish that chewed up your gaff,reckon the tackle industry is doing ok with the gaff sales of late,have heard a few yft released with jewellery on the radio of late, its been a couple of years since Ive released a gaff lol

top stuff

cheers arman

fantastic report guys ,and how about those seas your killing me with those pics

how big was that fish that chewed up your gaff,reckon the tackle industry is doing ok with the gaff sales of late,have heard a few yft released with jewellery on the radio of late, its been a couple of years since Ive released a gaff lol

top stuff

cheers arman

That was my first release of a gaff :biggrin2: and I hope its the last as my arm is killing me as it blew up over night to twice its normal size :( I reckon the big fish was very close to 70 or better at a guess :1yikes: man do they pull hard on the gaff at that size.

Cheers Stewy

Good work on the Tuna Stewy, Mitch and Go Fish Pete nice to see you do well again :thumbup: Mitch forget about buying another gaff, the way you've been getting amongst the fish lately you need to invest in a mobile crane :D:thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer

Great day boys! :thumbup:

Some great fish there & very impressive in their size. :yahoo: How good is it to see Raiders all helping each other out to get into the fish!! :biggrin2:

How are you feeling Mitch? I know Stewy is a little sore! Poor old fella. :074::074:

Well done on a top day.

Cheers,

Grant.