Spincast Reels

stylo

Who here uses spincast reels ? TApparently more popular overseas (US) than here is Australia.

Have not really found out much about these types of reels. Will do some googling now, but has anyone here experienced using these types of reels ?

Do most tackle stores sell these types of reels. Can't say that I have seen one of these before, but it's not like i have actively searched for them.

Hi Stylo - is this the closed face reels? I have 2 small ones, but haven't the confidence to use them, so stick with my egg beaters!!! Lots of yanks use them as they reckon the casting accuracy is terrific! There is a knack to using them tho! Mine are both tiny .... & got like 2lb line on them!

Cheerio

Roberta

Most bigger tackle shops should have a couple of them

Hey Roberta .. Those are the ones ..

Went to a shop last night and the poor guy working there had no idea how they work and what they were good for. Was kind enough to let me have a play of them though.

Funny design. Looks basically like a spinning reel which sits on a baitcaster rod. Probably to help with the backlashes, but I don't get backlashes with my baitcaster so maybe it would be a pretty useless purchase ..

I also don't think they are meant for saltwater use, like most baitcasters.

I think you are absolutely right .. stick with the spinning reels. :thumbup:

I spent a lot of my junior years (late 70's) using one of these, casting celtas and ondex spinners for redfin in the local channels. Simple to use, very easy to maintain, but had a poor drag system that would not see it used for much other than what I did. It was a helluva lot of fun though! :thumbup:

Hodgey

Daiwa & Shakespeare still have them in bigger sizes, but I think they still recommend them for fresh water rather than salt. Their info reckons the drag is really smooth!!!

Roberta

must get mine out again & try them again ...... on slimies!

As far as i know they are for newbs who cant cast normal fishing gear. As stewy mentioned single handed casting without the worry of over runs of baitcasters and release timing of egg beaters.

Ive never seen anyone use them and my mate who works in a large reputable tackle store claims he is ashamed they even stock them

hahahaha

get one man give it a go :1prop:

Hi all

I use a few for fresh water and are great for castintg accuracy I used them in saltwater and now there no good for nothing. I wouldnt use them around salt water but for fresh water there great.

thats what Ive found.

Thx all for the replies guys. FYI I did not get one, but respooled my baby baitcaster and have started using that instead ...

What happened when you used it in saltwater ? Did it corrode ?

In my experience, as a salesman for Shakespeare (A few moons ago) we had them coupled with telescopics as a combo that one could put in his suitcase whilst travelling on a business trip or the like. Similarly, the travelling salesman (Sales Rep) could keep one on the back seat of the car to use when passing by a suitable location. Never was considered something for the serious sports fisherperson but more-so a typical American gadget that was more for convenience than purpose. Not to crazy an idea to keep one in the car for when the opportunity arises to wet a line in the middle of no where. Quite affordably priced as well.

Reel capacity is the only downfall, but who cares if you have a chance at a few moments of pleasure when you would not have had the opportunity otherwise. Unless you keep a fully rigged spinstick on your roof racks permanently.

I see !

...Unless you keep a fully rigged spinstick on your roof racks permanently.

Probably not on the roofracks, but I wonder how many people on this site would NOT have a fully rigged spin stick in the boot of their car ...

I see !

Probably not on the roofracks, but I wonder how many people on this site would NOT have a fully rigged spin stick in the boot of their car ...

I don't... mine isn't rigged up :074:

I've got a 4 piece 7' 3-5kg spin rod in a tube, a reel in a bag, and a little tackle box. I can't see how you could possibly keep it rigged up... I mean how could you know whether you needed a soft plastic for a flattie in Narrabeen Lagoon or a small metal lure for tailor of a breakwall???

Maybe I need to have 3 or 4 outifts rigged up in my car. Hmmmm GoFish Pete... what have you got in a travel blackfish rod, travel kingie rod and travel lbg stick??? :074::074::074:

Cheers, Slinky

Too True, Stylo - I had a brand new telescopic with new Daiwa reel & just spooled with braid knicked from my boot, along with my yabby pump some years back ......

However, having said that, I've just got a really nice little rod setup made by Jarvis Walker (Ithink) called Crystal Creek for $35 including an eggbeater & a fly reel (looks more a salt water one than fresh & has quite a wide spool) and the rod comes in 7 pieces. When put together it is a very nice flexible little rod that would cast very light lures & if you want to, reverse half of the handle & make it into a short fly rod!! May have to try it on the yak - was always annoyed by the long fly rod!! :) The whole lot packs up into a padded bag with a handle! Terrific to sneak into your gear when going to Fiji or some other fishy waters when flying!! I've even shoved a few packets of sps in it, so there's always something to play with!! :)

It could also easily be made into a blackie rod, if the need arose!!

Cheerio

ROberta

Edited by Roberta