You Can't Really Call Yourself A Fisho Till You Have ...

inhlanzi

You can't really call yourself a fisho till you have ...

1. launched the boat and left the bungs out

2. lost a rod and reel overboard

3. got the anchor rope caught in the prop

4. run out of fuel

5. left the bait in the eskie for a week

6. got a hook somewhere in your body

7. got smoked by a monster who knows what

8. left the boat strap on the boat tied to the trailer when launching

9. dropped the boat off the trailer on the boat ramp

10. cast a fully baited rig ( with sinker ) into another boat

11. hit a submerged log

12. got fishing line around the prop

13. got bitten by a tailor

14. got a birds nest on an overhead

15. got spiked by a yakka

16. tried to launch the boat with the safety chain still on

17. had a dead battery more than once

18. got to the ramp only to find you have left your tackle box / bag at home

19. got a plastic bag around the motor

20. lost and anchor (or two)

21. snapped a rod tip in the car door

22. dropped the bait knife overboard

23. putting a livie on a new trace / leader and throwing it overboard only to realise is not tied to the main line

24. lost a hat / cap / beanie whilst underway

25. lost your mobile phone overboard

26. put fish in the keeper net and forgot to tie the keeper net to the boat

27. (ungry warnie) ...........Getting to the ramp to realise the boat keys are at home on the bench..

28. (ungry warnie) ........ Leaving a gaff in the rocket launcher and subsequently taking out 24 fluro's at the servo

29. (ungry warnie) ......... attempting to put 245 litres of petrol in the fuel tank (same servo may i add) through the back rod holder not the fuel filler cap.....

30. ( Jewgaffer ) You're fishing in the mist and your drag goes off and you reel in a canoeist

Please feel free to add yours to the list

copy and paste the above and add yours to the list!

cheers

inhlanzi

ps I will admit to most of the above

Edited by inhlanzi

i've done most of all them except no.9 :1happybday:

I saw some guy witha brand new porche 4wd and a new 24ft cat boat gun it out of the water, the straps snapped and the boat hit the ramp half way up

:074: it was there for over a day :biggrin2:

inhlanzi

ps I will admit to most of the above

inhalanzi......

another three that spring to mind sound familiar...

..........Getting to the ramp to realise the boat keys are at home on the bench..

......... Leaving a gaff in the rocket launcher and subsequently taking out 24 fluro's at the servo

..........and last the classic excample someone attempting to put 245 litres of petrol in the fuel tank

(same servo may i add)

through the back rod holder not the fuel filler cap.....

admit to any of the above....................Nahhhhhhh

Cheers Warnie.....

how about driving to crowdy and filling the boat up with deisel insted of un leaded

i was so pissed at my mate that i drove back and drained the tank and removed and washed it out and then made him drive back to crowdy

gary

There's nothing worse and not seeing good colour than having my experience of playing and landing a cranky old fitness bloke in a canoe about a quarter of an hour after the drag went of during a fog.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

three stitches in my finger after casting (landbased) with a big breeze behind me, hook up on a windsurfer and sliced my finger on the rapidly moving line.

"played" a fish under Captain Cook bridge for a few minutes only to pull up a full length of 20mm conduit. Could have sworn the bugger was putting up a fight even felt a head shake. (The three of us where all electricians too which made it more amusing)

Had to swim after the boat when it floated away whilst pumping nippers.- Port Hacking and ShoalHaven and once in Nambucca when I was going to the loo up on a bank.

Hooked the fishing partner whilst casting (more than one occassion but never the same bloke)

I've caught thirty different types of tree branches on lures

Drove to Ulludulla and left the fuel tank in the garage at Cronulla (purchased new one rather than drive home)

Hat blows off head whilst driving boat - 8 million times (never learn)

Taken a feed of fish out of the freezer for the family only for it to defrost and turn out to be bait.

Hot day, miles of driving/trolling and the engine plays up. Only to find the breather valve hasnt been opened. When you do open it you nearly get sucked into the tank.

I fell asleep once, at night, and awoke to find the reel spooled. (probably just the yakka swimming home)

Get a face full of ink even though you know which end the barrell is

Probably the dumbest thing I have done is continue to fish a particularly "fishy" looking spot on a number of different outings even though I have never caught anything there. I think I will give that spot in the Hacking a go next week actually. It MUST be ready to fire.

Plus most of the ones already mentioned

Dave

Edited by davemmm

this thread is hillarious :thumbup: im guilty of numbers 1,4,7,10,11,12,17,24,and 25. and the funny thing is that out of all my boating mates, im actually probably 1 of the most experienced, ha ha ha ha ha

I've got a long way to go......haven't yet accomplished no.'s 1,3,9,10,11,17,20,21,23,26,27,28,29,30

How many of us have lost a few pairs of sunnies overboard and still neglect attaching them to yourself somehow??

I think jewgaffers is the best :Funny-Post:

I obviously haven't been fishing long enough, I only got a few of those listed.

I can add though

- the one I am sure everyones done, cast without flipping the bail (great fun in a small slightly crowded boat when the actions hot, with lures & trebles)

- having the boat/trailer mount the bowser guard rail at the servo when I went to fill up for the first time after picking it up (I'm glad they had the sense to put them in)

- left the boat in gear to hold it against the trailer, connected the winch strap and then have the ferry wake unseat the boat while its in gear & connected to a loose winch strap while I stand there wondering to I go for the boat or locking the strap ? (the salesman made it look easy - never done that ever again)

- backing down the drive, wondering why eventually it would not go back further (motor down, resultant bent the skeg which is still not fixed)

- drove off with the motor down (dint learn the first time, now I have a shorter bent skeg)

- driven through a massive storm, showering cars passing in the next lane with a huge volume of water being pumped out by the bilge (the bilge pump works but it wouldn't happen if I had taken the bungs out)

- launched the boat, sitting at the wharf trying to get the damned thing started, eventually to put it back on and leave (all witnessed by my young bloke, people on the wharf etc) only to realise at home I hadnt switched "off" the kill switch

- ran aground within 200m of the ramp (it is one I use all the time - my mate was to blame, couldnt open a packet of prawns)

- left the bait trap in the boat with a handful of chicken pellets in it, then had to vacuum maggots out of the carpet a week later (should have used them for bait)

As I have much training in safety, investigations, human error/factors etc I can now blame "human error", so I can in hindsight recognise why I stuff up (either that or I am forgetful, getting old or losing it)

steve

As I have much training in safety, investigations, human error/factors etc I can now blame "human error", so I can in hindsight recognise why I stuff up (either that or I am forgetful, getting old or losing it)

As a Union official I have had to investigate many accidents and the one thing i have discovered that rather than "human error" everything is generally "someone elses" fault and I stand by that on all of those I listed above.

Dave

Our boat/crew are guilty of

22 line clippers (they now have a floaty on them)

26 with prime flatty inside

Hopefully we can avoid all the others.

"played" a fish under Captain Cook bridge for a few minutes only to pull up a full length of 20mm conduit. Could have sworn the bugger was putting up a fight even felt a head shake. (The three of us where all electricians too which made it more amusing)

Dave

Classic Dave :074::074::074::074::074:

i think its wonderful that we can laugh at our selves. :1prop:

Many years ago i put my small tinnie onto the sand bar at port hacking to pump nippers.Back turned to the boat it driffed off across the river i had to swim across after it.Luckly it went straight across and not down river.When i climbed aboard i did not have the strength to pull the starter rope.Not funny at the time.

1. launched the boat and left the bungs out NO

2. lost a rod and reel overboard YES

3. got the anchor rope caught in the prop NO

4. run out of fuel NO

5. left the bait in the eskie for a week FREQUENTLY

6. got a hook somewhere in your body YES

7. got smoked by a monster who knows what TOO BLOODY OFTEN

8. left the boat strap on the boat tied to the trailer when launching YES

9. dropped the boat off the trailer on the boat ramp NO ( thank God )

10. cast a fully baited rig ( with sinker ) into another boat YES

11. hit a submerged log NO

12. got fishing line around the prop YES

13. got bitten by a tailor NO

14. got a birds nest on an overhead YES

15. got spiked by a yakka NO

16. tried to launch the boat with the safety chain still on NO

17. had a dead battery more than once YES

18. got to the ramp only to find you have left your tackle box / bag at home NO

19. got a plastic bag around the motor NO

20. lost and anchor (or two) YES

21. snapped a rod tip in the car door YES

22. dropped the bait knife overboard YES

23. putting a livie on a new trace / leader and throwing it overboard only to realise is not tied to the main line NO

24. lost a hat / cap / beanie whilst underway OFTEN

25. lost your mobile phone overboard NO

26. put fish in the keeper net and forgot to tie the keeper net to the boat YES

27. (ungry warnie) ...........Getting to the ramp to realise the boat keys are at home on the bench.. YES :1badmood:

28. (ungry warnie) ........ Leaving a gaff in the rocket launcher and subsequently taking out 24 fluro's at the servo NO

29. (ungry warnie) ......... attempting to put 245 litres of petrol in the fuel tank (same servo may i add) through the back rod holder not the fuel filler cap..... 110 LITRES IN BILGE

30. ( Jewgaffer ) You're fishing in the mist and your drag goes off and you reel in a canoeist NOT YET !

Ross

A couple more for the list...

Wondering why the steering is erratic only to return to the ramp and find the ear muffs are still on from the day before. :1prop:

Having the neighbours complain about the noise last night, which turned out to be the 2 radios i left on in the boat :)

A couple more for the list...

Wondering why the steering is erratic only to return to the ramp and find the ear muffs are still on from the day before. :1prop:

Having the neighbours complain about the noise last night, which turned out to be the 2 radios i left on in the boat :)

ok Robbie, Lets be honest eh?? :biggrin2:

What about:

Thrown countless yakka's into the bait tank only to have them walk on water and jump over board ala Titanic..

Downrigger Bombs... where do we start?? Caught them on reef's? Moorings? Wound them up in a fluster too far and had them liberate their freedom...

Painted your Boat black using squid....

had a sip of a VB :beersmile: only to recieve a nice wet cigg butt and a mouthful of ash... :mad3:

Spent 5mins Rigging up a Rod only to realise you missed going under the bail arm...(i am repeat offender on this)

I may, or may not have been responsible for some, or all of the above...

I once went on a solo night long fishing session in cowan, so after parking my prized XW [at appletree] i thought i'd remove the rotor button, a good idea....but leaving it in my top pocket wasn't....it now lies somewhere at the bottom of jeruselum bay! :biggrin2:.... :1yikes:.... :mad3: ..................................................................

........................................................................................:wife:

Edited by hooked4life

Fishing off a well know beach and you get a huge run on a ganged pillie and you strike hard and a surfer starts screaming but you keep winding :074: and then you yell for your mate to get the gaff!!!!!

Cheers Stewy

Just remembered another one.

Boat almost off the trailer - steering wheel won't move.

Back on the trailer and out of the way to fix it.

Did that one recently, after the boat hadnt gone anywhere for months. I actually had the boat in the water, the better half on board for a nice day out, motor started, kindly pushed out by a young bloke awaiting his ride nearby....

Looked like a real idiot :tease: trying to get back to the ramp using forward and reverse, especially as it was on full lock.

Learnt some more maintenance tips from that incident.

Steve

I might have to start a book if I keep remembering these !

Prawning trip about 4-5 yrs ago at China beach with the 10yr old son. Put the car keys in a spare bucket which I left on the beach while we prawned. Hardly catching any, so the young bloke beeing bored went back to the beach, he came back out to me later with the spare bucket in hand which he had half filled with some water.

1 hours wait for the NRMA, who arrived & rebooted the security system by removing battery leads. NRMA guy said had to wait another hour for it to hopefully reset. It didnt, had to call a taxi and wait another hour :1badmood: to get home around 3-4am.

Result - let the prawns go we had so few, $80 taxi, back the next day to pickup car, the wife got a new key recut for $125 at Holden (only needed to redo the security part for about $60) :thumbdown: