You Can't Really Call Yourself A Fisho Till You Have ...

inhlanzi

who hasn't been spiked by a flatty?

I also nearly sliced my thumb off trying to open a pippie.

Snapped a beach rod trying to cast to NZ with too much weight on.

spent 1hr pumping nippers only to turn around and find seagulls dinning in my ice cream container full of nippers.

put 2 different sections of rod in the van and then spending 10 minutes trying to figure out why they're not fitting together.

Wore brand new white board shorts while squidding! only did it once cause the :wife: wasn't real impressed.

Been snapped off by a weed fish several times.

You can't really call yourself a fisho till you have ...

1. launched the boat and left the bungs out ,YES

2. lost a rod and reel overboard, YES

3. got the anchor rope caught in the prop, YES

4. run out of fuel, YES

5. left the bait in the eskie for a week, YES

6. got a hook somewhere in your body, YES

7. got smoked by a monster who knows what, YES ALSO SLICED MY THUM TO THE BONE WITH THE KNIFE I HAD IN MY OTHER HAND AT THE TIME, HIRE BOAT NO MEDICAL KIT, RAPRD MY THUM IN THE NEWSPAPER THE BAIT CAME IN WHEN THAT WAS SOAKED WITH BLOOD CUT THE POCKET OUT OF MY SHORTS TO USE AS A BANDAGE (FINALY STOPED THE BLEEDING) THIS HAPPENED IN THE FIRST HALF HOUR, KEPT FISHING FOR THE REST OF THE DAY OF CAUSE, PS: NO HELP FROM MY MATE (FELLOW RAIDER "TUFFY") CANT STAND THE SITE OF BLOOD. :05:

8. left the boat strap on the boat tied to the trailer when launching, YES

9. dropped the boat off the trailer on the boat ramp, NOT QUITE BUT CLOSE

10. cast a fully baited rig ( with sinker ) into another boat, YES

11. hit a submerged log, YES

12. got fishing line around the prop, YES

13. got bitten by a tailor, YES FELLOW RAIDER (TUFFY) HAD TO GET HIM OFF WITH THE PLYERS

14. got a birds nest on an overhead, YES (WITH AN 8 FOOT HAMAHEAD ATACHED TO THE OTHER END OF THE LINE AS WELL, (EVENTUALLY LANDED WITH THE LAST 20 FOOT HAND LINED)

15. got spiked by a yakka, YES

16. tried to launch the boat with the safety chain still on, YES

17. had a dead battery more than once, YES

18. got to the ramp only to find you have left your tackle box / bag at home, YES

19. got a plastic bag around the motor, YES

20. lost and anchor (or two), YES

21. snapped a rod tip in the car door, YES

22. dropped the bait knife overboard, YES

23. putting a livie on a new trace / leader and throwing it overboard only to realise is not tied to the main line, NO

24. lost a hat / cap / beanie whilst underway, MANY TIMES

25. lost your mobile phone overboard, YES

26. put fish in the keeper net and forgot to tie the keeper net to the boat, YES (FELLOW RAIDER TUFFY NOT HAPPY) HE HAD CAUGHT ALL THE FISH THAT DAY.

27. (ungry warnie) ...........Getting to the ramp to realise the boat keys are at home on the bench.., NO

28. (ungry warnie) ........ Leaving a gaff in the rocket launcher and subsequently taking out 24 fluro's at the servo, NO

29. (ungry warnie) ......... attempting to put 245 litres of petrol in the fuel tank (same servo may i add) through the back rod holder not the fuel filler cap....., NO

30. ( Jewgaffer ) You're fishing in the mist and your drag goes off and you reel in a canoeist

Please feel free to add yours to the list, NO. BUT WAS OUT WITH TUFFY EARLY ON MORNING AND HE NEARLY RAN ONE OVER IN THE DARK (IDOT HAD NO LIGHTS)

31. HOOKED ANOTHER BOAT WITH A LAURE

32. CHANGED A WHEEL BARING ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD

33. LOST A TRAILER WHEEL AT 80 KPH

34. LAUNCHED A 21 FIOOT BOAT OFF THE TOP OF A 5 MTR WAVE. (BOATS CAN FLY)

35. SAT IN THE BOAT WITH A LINE IN THE WATER ON THE RAMP BECAUSE THE BOAT WOULD NOT START

(LATER TO FIND THAT THE DEAD MAN SWITCH WAS NOT HOOKED UP) DUMMMMMMMMM

I MUST QUALIFY AS I HAVE DONE 25 OUT OF THE 30 AND ADDED 5 MORE. AND IM SURE IF I THINK ABOUT IT I COULD PROBABLY ADD A FEW MORE, I HAVE BEEN FISHING FOR NEARLY 40 YEARS THOUGH

CHEERS SPARKY

copy and paste the above and add yours to the list!

cheers

inhlanzi

ps I will admit to most of the above

"Spent 5mins Rigging up a Rod only to realise you missed going under the bail arm...(i am repeat offender on this)"

If you do this too often you will realise the best answer is to take the spool off the reel and then flip the bail arm and re-attach the spool.

Works every time...

Sunnyboy

1. launched the boat and left the bungs out - YES

2. lost a rod and reel overboard - YES, WITH FISH ATTACHED

3. got the anchor rope caught in the prop - YES

4. run out of fuel - YES, NOT SINCE I WAS A YOUNG'EN

5. left the bait in the eskie for a week - YES

6. got a hook somewhere in your body - NO, NOT FULLY EMBEDDED

7. got smoked by a monster who knows what - YES!!!, 3 TIMES ONE NIGHT ON 200lb HANDLINE

8. left the boat strap on the boat tied to the trailer when launching - NO

9. dropped the boat off the trailer on the boat ramp - YES, MY MILLIGAN NIPPER AT A HAWKSBURY RAMP

10. cast a fully baited rig ( with sinker ) into another boat - NO, BUT LANDED ONE IN A TREE A FEW TIMES!

11. hit a submerged log - YES, MANY TIMES IN MUDDY SWAMPS

12. got fishing line around the prop - YES, I WOULD THINK THAT MOST HAVE

13. got bitten by a tailor - YES, AGAIN AS A YOUNGSTER

14. got a birds nest on an overhead - YES

15. got spiked by a yakka - NO, BUT BY MANY OTHER SPECIES

16. tried to launch the boat with the safety chain still on - NO

17. had a dead battery more than once - NO, SURPRISINGLY ONLY THE ONE TIME

18. got to the ramp only to find you have left your tackle box / bag at home - NO

19. got a plastic bag around the motor - YES, THOSE DAMNED SHOPPING BAGS!

20. lost and anchor (or two) - YES, ONE WITH ALL THE CHAIN WRAPPED AROUND THE REEF OFF TOWNSVILLE AND WAS UNRETRIEVABLE - VERY PAINFULL HAVING TO CUT THE ROPE!

21. snapped a rod tip in the car door - NO, BUT CEILING FAN IS GUILTY

22. dropped the bait knife overboard - YES, EXPENSIVE BUCK WITH CARVED HANDLE

23. putting a livie on a new trace / leader and throwing it overboard only to realise is not tied to the main line - NO, BUT CAST THE ROD & FLICKED THE BAIL ARM OVER BY MISTAKE ONLY TO HEAR THE "PING" & WATCH THE TERMINAL TACKLE FLY OFF BY ITSELF

24. lost a hat / cap / beanie whilst underway - YES

25. lost your mobile phone overboard - YES, HAZARDOUS PASTIME

26. put fish in the keeper net and forgot to tie the keeper net to the boat - YES, I USED TO USE AN OLD BIRD CAGE AS A KEEPER AND KNOCKED ITS' DAMNED HOOK OFF WHEN IT HAD 3 NICE BLACKIES INSIDE - SORRY FOR THE FISH TOO AS i GUESS THEY WOULD HAVE DIED

27. cast out only to have a seabird take your bait and get hooked. - YES

28. Left bait on the hook and "caught" your, or your neighbours cat - YES

29. Gone out several miles, ready to set your lures only to find you didn't bring them - YES

30. Frustrated with jellyfish so put the engine in reverse and chop the shit out of them for 1/2 hour or so - YES

Edited by Mariner 31

a great post !!!

committed a few of the offences as listed and added a few along the way

* had the steering wheel come apart in a hefty swell - that impressed the wife and kids ...... not !

* ' what's that noise dad ? ' . nothing except the engine temp alarm going off due to the muff's being left on the engine .

* ' what's that stink ( from all in the family ) ? . nothing except the bait still in the bait containers in the garage a few days after being out .

* being told by my good mate and long term fishing buddy that my trailer rego sticker appears to be out of date by 12 months - he's a highway patrol cop - big bugger .

* thrown the anchor over the side then remembering that i had just re-greased the shackles - another bugger .

still here and still enjoying it all .

like NASA , each launch can be a whole new adventure .

have fun

scott

oh , one last major catch of the day ( out of the water ) .

the poor old postie , minding his own business going over the bridge at Port Macquarie .

' dad how far do i need too cast ? ' . as far as you can is the advise .

out and up it goes to catch the biggest non water based creature to date .

i was only 10 then .

a million moons ago .

all the best

scott

Great thread Mike.

I've had the pleasure of watching my old man fill up the rod holder. I was in the boat so it didn't quite get to 110 litres.

Experienced a lot of the above plus I have been stung by the lovely Red Rock Cod.

Left the top of my Loomis at Chatwood Rail Bridge along with 300m of braid when I forgot that I left it in the Rocket Laucher. Took the less expensive rods out though.

You are not a real fisherman until you have

"been out pumping yabbies and instead of walking back to the bucket you put them into the front pocket of your shorts. Of course the big one with the large nipper takes offence and latches onto your manhood"

Its amazing how much it hurts and the bloody things won't let go (even after you have dissected the yabbie from the nipper it it still clamped on) . :ranting2:

it leaves a wonderful bruise which takes some explaining to the missus :wife:

Edited by Suttons Curse

Having your steering cable break 10 miles off shore in a building sea then jury rigging a paddle to the donk for the trip home and bar crossing that was an interesting day. :1yikes:

Falling off a wharf trying to get a bucket of water :074:

While prawning stepped on a bullroute “spelling” :ranting2:

Got a bad cut on my foot while fishing at the tubes at JB 5 k walk back to the car the had to drive to Nowra hospital for 25 stiches then 3 weeks off work “ not happy jan” :1badmood:

1. launched the boat and left the bungs out - YES

2. lost a rod and reel overboard - YES

3. got the anchor rope caught in the prop - NO

4. run out of fuel - NO

5. left the bait in the eskie for a week - YES

6. got a hook somewhere in your body - YES

7. got smoked by a monster who knows what - YES

8. left the boat strap on the boat tied to the trailer when launching - YES

9. dropped the boat off the trailer on the boat ramp - NO

10. cast a fully baited rig ( with sinker ) into another boat - YES, AND THE OWNER WAS ON BOARD

11. hit a submerged log - YES

12. got fishing line around the prop - YES

13. got bitten by a tailor - YES, and bream, flathead, snapper

14. got a birds nest on an overhead - YES

15. got spiked by a yakka - YES, and bream, flathead, snapper, gurnard and almost every fish I catch

16. tried to launch the boat with the safety chain still on - YES

17. had a dead battery more than once - NO, only once at 2.00am with Jewgaffer & Arked on board

18. got to the ramp only to find you have left your tackle box / bag at home - YES

19. got a plastic bag around the motor - YES and don't forget in the bait tank inlet

20. lost and anchor (or two) - or 5... YES (that's what comes from being too lazy to switch to my reef anchor)

21. snapped a rod tip in the car door - YES

22. dropped the bait knife overboard - YES, they bounce out of the holder on my bait board all the time

23. putting a livie on a new trace / leader and throwing it overboard only to realise is not tied to the main line - NO, but I threw a downrigger bomb overboard without clipping it onto the cable last year

24. lost a hat / cap / beanie whilst underway - YES

25. lost your mobile phone overboard - NO

26. put fish in the keeper net and forgot to tie the keeper net to the boat - NO

27. cast out only to have a seabird take your bait and get hooked. - YES, and I had to play it out like a model airplane... once with a seagull and once when a swallow took my dun while fly fishing

28. Left bait on the hook and "caught" your, or your neighbours cat - NO... oh dear!

29. Gone out several miles, ready to set your lures only to find you didn't bring them - NO

30. Frustrated with jellyfish so put the engine in reverse and chop the shit out of them for 1/2 hour or so - NO

31. Been squirted with squid ink - YES, every time Little Slinky catches one

32. Caught a windsurfer in botany bay - (Father in Law... YES) and it required stripping down the drag in a reel... a 200m run at 20 knots doesn't do it any good.

33. Gotten totally confused by the dozens of channel markers in a North Coast estuary and run aground - YES

34. Gotten overconfident and cut a corner and run aground - YES

35. Attempted to teach someone to fly fish and had them hook you - YES

36. Thrown an anchor over only to realise the chain's not connected to the rope - YES

37. Have a break from fishing on a deserted beach with girlfriend (now :wife: ) to enjoy some conjugal diversion only to realise later from the rustling in the nearby bush that what must have been a whole bushwalking club had arrived and caught the show. - YES

Cheers, Slinky

My best one was first time i took my boat out was dark and i forgot i left the deckwash on. And the hose in the side pocket. Crusin along doing 8 knots listing to the 2way. when i hear the radio make a funny noise.. I said to my mate whats that?.We look around then he walks to the back of the boat then comes back with a funny look on his face... :wacko: . I turn to look back and see the back of the boat filling with water.. :1yikes: .The noise was the auto bilge going off. (never had an auto bilge b4). So i open the boat up heading for shore dont want to get wet that time of the morning.. But the faster i went the more water came in. Got to the shore after ages looking to see if the bung fell out of the boat had it crack.. we look at the deckwash hose and its dribbling. The rest of the day i was a nerves wreck. Keeped looking to see if there was water in the boat...

Cheers Benny.

How about when your mate decides to give the engine some throttle, before putting it into gear...

Forget the gearbox! I went overboard!

Never assume your mate knows how to drive because he's watched you so so many times!

:thumbup: