Monster Squid Caught In The Harbor.

Kiwi Dan

Hello all,

Hit the harbor Saturday with a mate to try and score a couple winter kings. Started out with the mandatory drift for squid at the Spit which again didnt produce. At sun up we cruised into MH for a couple hours trying a couple spots with some fresh frozen squid but with no luck. Once we started running short on Squid we decided to hit the harbor at around 11am to get some more squid. We got to our first spot and after the first cast Steve was on to a nice 1kg green eye. After few more minutes went by and I was retreiving my jig when I noticed a bit of weed or plastic on the end of my jig. On closer inspection I realized that it wasnt rubbish and it was actually a squid.

post-4176-1214809458_thumb.jpg

Jig was a 1.8g and the squid was roughly a quarter of the size. Absolutely smallest squid ive ever seen, id like to see if anyone else has caught one smaller!! We put it back in the water to fight another day, but I wont like I did think about chucking a hook through it live.

10 minutes later Steve said to me whats that up there on the cliff. I looked up straight away to a very large very naked old man bending over giving me a vertical smile!! Once Steve stopped laughing and I finished dry reaching we pulled the pick and moved on.

Unfortunately we had no luck with fish for the rest of the day but it was good to be out there.

:074:

I reckon we need a record tiniest captures section....

This weekend I reckon would've broken all the records!

The big smile from above sounds like it was consistent with the moon phase, ceretainly not a full moon at the moment..

:074:

:1fishing1: AJ

G'day Kiwidan, mate that squid would have been perfect size bait for my huge reddie I caught on Sunday.. :074:

My mate caught a yellow fin bream that size on saturday! nice bright yellow fins... had never seen such a small breambo before..

That's a monster reddie!

:1yikes:

Geez Dan, I hope you've got a friend who's a chiropractor. I'm guessing it'll take a while to recover from pulling in that monster.

I'd like to see you try to tie up a twin hook rig for that boy.... maybe a couple of size 22 Gamakatsu fly hooks??

For some reason everyone seems to have reported catching small stuff over the last few days (except for the odd offshore report). I'm betting all our baby snapper were chasing all your baby squid.

Cheers, Slinky

:1yikes:

Geez Dan, I hope you've got a friend who's a chiropractor. I'm guessing it'll take a while to recover from pulling in that monster.

I'd like to see you try to tie up a twin hook rig for that boy.... maybe a couple of size 22 Gamakatsu fly hooks??

For some reason everyone seems to have reported catching small stuff over the last few days (except for the odd offshore report). I'm betting all our baby snapper were chasing all your baby squid.

Cheers, Slinky

mate i think i got whiplash trying to look away from the nudist sun bathing!!

The last few times out we have been getting some good size squid just not at the normals spots mate.