First Blood For Pog Mo Thoin

Mik

Hi all

Travelled to the big smoke last week for some well deserved R&R with our work crew. Itention was to have a few laughs & hopefully get into a fin or two on Thursday.

Tuesday & Wednesday were a great laugh with Jet boat rides amoung the pilgrims & go-karting that was not exactly what the track owner had in mind :1prop:

Thursday was the day for me. We arranged for the Hunter lads to get the boats into some fin but after talking to Ross the night before we decided to send Glenn out wide so we could follow in the Mighty Pog & Ross would hug a little closer to the hard stuff & see what the reefs had to offer for the less adventurous of our crew.

Unfortunatley the fin were as scarce as the previous reports I had read & we only managed one fin, but...that one fin was aboard the Mighty Pog & as it was her first taste for Tuna Turmoil I loved every second of it & count the trip as a smashing success. I'm sure the guys onboard Billfisher would have prefered some action too but as most were not what I'd call serious fishos I think any day with Skipper Glenn would have made for a great day for them. Broady faired a little better with a good selection of table fish for the boys to take home to their families so all in all the trip was great moral booster.

We (Boofhead, McGoose & Splinters) slipped out in front of Billfisher on a glorious day & got to Browns in good time. This was Pog's first real offshore run so I am delighted to report she handled the conditions with ease. Confidence is growing by the nautical mile.

Temps were pretty sad on arrival & at 17.9 as the best we could find we said a prayer & started our pillie trail. I honestly thought we would drift all day for naught but after only an hour or so we got a hit & the smiles broadened considerably.

Splinters, being the only fella who had actually even seen a tuna before was quickly harnessed up to my shinny new Tiagra 50W LRS on what we at first called for a shark. No mad runs at the start, not real surges & a dead weight was all the indication we had. But as he inched back some line it started doing the good 'ol tuna circle & when we saw colour the cheers were enough to scare the knickers off the brides mother in-law.

During the first few minutes of the fight the second bait got smashed & the destinctive tuna run had the (Dare I say it...wash my mouth out) Penn 50W screaming. But alas we kinda muffed it due to a small birds nest that needed to be run out before setting the hook. Unfortunatley it needed more running out than the fish needed to realise he shouldn't have swallowed that thing & he came to his senses & spat the bait before we got a chance. Oh well, we know better next time. :mad3:

I got a chance at my first ever gaff shot & even if I do say so myself I nailed the sucker. One 30-35kg yellowfin now thrashing & after a quick knifing he was painting POG's decks with a lovely shade of fishing. What a sight. We all stood there for a moment in disbelief then the cheers went up again & I couldn't get the camera out quick enough.

I spoke to Glenn not long after & I am positive he thought we were pulling his leg as he hadn't had a touch all day.

After a free jumping Mako jumped near the boat (About 80 metres away) we thought we might be in for a chance for some crazy fun but alas even the sharks left us alone for the rest of the day.

We did see a couple of whales & McGoose did his beast to encourage the birds to eat our bait by feeding them! (Take him anywhere twice.......second time to apologise)

At about 3:30 Glenn pulled the pin as the forecast winds started to come in so we followed suit & punched POG into a stiff noreasterly & managed to enjoy the ride home. We used 100 litres & had a great day. I love my boat!

Splinters & the mighty POG!

post-3284-1216723992_thumb.jpg

We were never going to be out gunned!

post-3284-1216723924_thumb.jpg

Nervous anticipation on the gaff!

post-3284-1216724025_thumb.jpg

The prize for patience & some good advice

post-3284-1216724086_thumb.jpg

Hey Mik

good to hear your trip to the big smoke was all go :1prop:

nice fin mate even if it was only one landed :thumbup:

good to see you posting in "gamefishing reports" :biggrin2:

especially in you own inimitable style ROFL :074::074:

So is the POG replacing Fanta Pants ?

It's a nice looking set up mate

Chris

Thank guys

Chris, mate nothing can replace Fanta Pants, she rests in our hearts always....and in my shed :1prop:

One day she may ride again under the hand of one of my sons, maybe with a new look too! In the meantime the good ship Pog Mo Thoin is well and truly making her mark as the best thing this family ever purchased (Especially since Fanta was an inheritance) great for the fin, hopefully just as good for the beakies come summer & oh yeah, she does ok on the harbour for the compulsory cruising with the boss. Just don't anyone here ever, ever tell her its a fishing boat, she will never beleive me again! :biggrin2:

Nice one Mik.

Fantastic way to blood the boat :thumbup:

I wonder if Coastal patrol have any idea when you call out Pog Mo Thoin 3 times :074:

They may make you get a SY number :074::074::074:

When my next boat arrives (soon I hope) she will have an Irish name as well "Embarr" Hows your Gealic mythology? :biggrin2:

Robbie.

Nice one Mik.

Fantastic way to blood the boat :thumbup:

I wonder if Coastal patrol have any idea when you call out Pog Mo Thoin 3 times :074:

They may make you get a SY number :074::074::074:

When my next boat arrives (soon I hope) she will have an Irish name as well "Embarr" Hows your Gealic mythology? :biggrin2:

Robbie.

Should have plenty of horsepower then mate *wink*

Dunno about the coast gaurd but the main person who it was named about now knows what it means, & I take great pleasure in that knowledge. And as far as I'm concerned he can Pog Mo Thoin!

Edited by Boofhead

Boofhead and Co.

Well done on the 'fin. That splinters bloke looks familiar. I think I have seen him in a gamefishing magazine at some stage. I hope the bundies warmed you guys up.

Cheers,,

Rabs.

congrats for the first of hopefully many yft ,love the photo of the fish with the gaff in the forground

like all that blood on the deck,i just hoped out of my boat got some leader out of the cabin happen to notice a bit of blood on the cabin sides ,then looked up at the nice light grey rooflining and its covered in BLOOD not happy thats gona take a while to wash of,can only blame myself for the half arse tub i gave it on saturdaY

WELL DONE TOP STUFF

cheers arman

Thanks guys, we certainly enjoyed our little escapade.

Boofhead and Co.

Well done on the 'fin. That splinters bloke looks familiar. I think I have seen him in a gamefishing magazine at some stage. I hope the bundies warmed you guys up.

Cheers,,

Rabs.

Yeah mate that splinters is certainly a character, a little crazy too...apparently it runs in the family. :1prop:

Oi, Celtic Princess or whatever ya name is... Auk Eye Tha Knew buddy, you may well slight my little tub & her precious name, right up to the point when you next go to step aboard & she majestically slips aside & drops you in the drink!

You seem to always enjoy her sleeping quarters though! :biggrin2:

congrats for the first of hopefully many yft ,love the photo of the fish with the gaff in the forground

like all that blood on the deck,i just hoped out of my boat got some leader out of the cabin happen to notice a bit of blood on the cabin sides ,then looked up at the nice light grey rooflining and its covered in BLOOD not happy thats gona take a while to wash of,can only blame myself for the half arse tub i gave it on saturdaY

WELL DONE TOP STUFF

cheers arman

Yeah mate it was a bloody experience, thankfully at least one of my deckies (Read - the one that will be allowed back aboard) did a great job of giving her a tub whilst underway back to port. When I got her alongside the jetty I was amazed at how clean she was, I hadn't even noticed the cleanup job going on. :thumbup:

Edited by Boofhead

That wouldnt be my old mate McGoose would it Mik? :074::074::074:

Ross

Methinks you could be right there Ross, I fear though that McGoose has lost his password or something. Perhaps the added pressures of fatherhood have rattled his brains recently :1prop:

yes :yahoo: i honestly still knew it that the fin were and are still out there.

and the proof is right above.

a nice fin there :thumbup: .

Yeah mate I have to admit I was a little unsure of how our day would progress after reading lots of reports of people not turning a reel the past few weeks. But, we had the trip booked for ages & I could'nt change it, so you can imagine the delight when we actually got a hit, let alone pulled one in. 17.9 degree water wasn't exactly what you would consider ideal.

Methinks you could be right there Ross, I fear though that McGoose has lost his password or something. Perhaps the added pressures of fatherhood have rattled his brains recently :1prop:

Yeah mate I have to admit I was a little unsure of how our day would progress after reading lots of reports of people not turning a reel the past few weeks. But, we had the trip booked for ages & I could'nt change it, so you can imagine the delight when we actually got a hit, let alone pulled one in. 17.9 degree water wasn't exactly what you would consider ideal.

Boofhead,

Sorry about the lack of tuna but that's tuna fishing for you. :05: At least you guys caught one so the whole show was not a total disaster. I enjoyed our day on the reef with the lads and they took home a reasonable feed of reds, mowies and assorted reef species.

Great to catch up with you and Gordo again Don't forget Pt Stephens '09 let me know ASAP what's doing before we get too booked out.

Ross

Thanks guys, we certainly enjoyed our little escapade.

Yeah mate that splinters is certainly a character, a little crazy too...apparently it runs in the family. :1prop:

Oi, Celtic Princess or whatever ya name is... Auk Eye Tha Knew buddy, you may well slight my little tub & her precious name, right up to the point when you next go to step aboard & she majestically slips aside & drops you in the drink!

You seem to always enjoy her sleeping quarters though! :biggrin2:

Yeah mate it was a bloody experience, thankfully at least one of my deckies (Read - the one that will be allowed back aboard) did a great job of giving her a tub whilst underway back to port. When I got her alongside the jetty I was amazed at how clean she was, I hadn't even noticed the cleanup job going on. :thumbup:

please forward the helpful deckies phone no to me, lol

cheers arman

Boofhead,

Sorry about the lack of tuna but that's tuna fishing for you. :05: At least you guys caught one so the whole show was not a total disaster. I enjoyed our day on the reef with the lads and they took home a reasonable feed of reds, mowies and assorted reef species.

Great to catch up with you and Gordo again Don't forget Pt Stephens '09 let me know ASAP what's doing before we get too booked out.

Ross

No worries mate, we had a blast & the boys loved their high seas adventure fish or no fish. Considering the weeks previous I think it may have been divine intervention that got us onto that one. Maybe the big fella felt sorry for us having to put up twith the Celtic Princess all day :074:

please forward the helpful deckies phone no to me, lol

cheers arman

Sorry mate, that particular deckie :ph34r: has been packed away back in his box & will not be brought out again till we need him again. :biggrin2:

Selfish I know :besetzt: