Blackfish,bream,lizards

soft-on

Morning Everyone,

Yesterday the weather was pretty average but it seemed ok to go for a quick flick, the predicted weather was rain & wind and it was windy but wasn't raining as yet….

I have got my self a few Blades but am yet to get any decent fish on them, except for the lost lizard at Tuross on the weekend and a few Sweep and other things. So I headed down to this little spot of mine. The water at this spot is Brackish and does often become intertidal during parts of the year, it hasn't this year as yet but due to heavy surf help feed its upper reaches with some new salt water. I have found this to make the fish pretty active. Nice coloured water plenty of snags and a quiet secluded area provide the near perfect fishing habitat.

These Blades have a very heavy vibration but are fussy to a fouled hook or some weed. They also cast exceptionally well so keep a keen eye for how far you're actually casting. I was using the 1/8oz TT Blades in Pure gold. I started to flick around and it wasn't long before I was connected to a Bream, yeah not much size in the little beggar but it was a Bream. I found that the drop and raise technique was proving deadly and this offers the Blade to vibrate before sinking in a mundane fashion to near the bottom before up she goes again vibrating to the top then sinking…..you get the drift

This technique proved not only deadly on Bream but I wasn't long before little lizard scoffed it down and did a little aerobatic display before posing for a quick shot and he was off again. By this time I couldn't give rats if it rained I was having a Ball and these blades were slowly winning my heart over plastics….

It wasn't until after a few more fish when I was connected to what I thought was a bream at first until it a few weird runs & pulls made me change my mind. I haven't caught a blackfish in years so I forgot what they fight like so when this little guy surfaced I was stoked!!! I have caught blackfish on wobblers before but Blades! Ha

After that I was just about to trek a little further but it started to really pee down so I called it an afternoon.

Good Little sesh for the day anyway.

Cam

post-6143-1216858539_thumb.jpg

post-6143-1216858552_thumb.jpg

post-6143-1216858572_thumb.jpg

post-6143-1216858648_thumb.jpg

post-6143-1216858660_thumb.jpg

You are on a roll Cam! Terrific action on those blades! I must get mine out there & give it a go! How deep was the water you were fishing? Our lake is mainly sooooo shallow & full of ribbon weed beds! ! :(

Great photos too! Well done

Roberta

You are on a roll Cam! Terrific action on those blades! I must get mine out there & give it a go! How deep was the water you were fishing? Our lake is mainly sooooo shallow & full of ribbon weed beds! ! :(

Great photos too! Well done

Roberta

Roberta, Very simple design but great action. I am obsessed with them :074:

The water averages depth from 0.5m to 3m. It was over sand and weed.

Cam

Congrats on your continued success with the blades Cam :thumbup:

I reckon that little dark gold bloke is a beauty and will account for more fish in the future. You are certainly catching a variety of fish on your blades :074:

Keep up the great work mate. I will be interested to see if you have similar success at night ...

Skip

im getten meself sum of them blades, are they expensive? and do i just ask 4 blades or they got a specific name?

I might be wrong but aren't they SX40's or something like that... I think they are around $20 - $25

I did buy one a while back haven't used it, but after this post i think i'm gonna break it out... :biggrin2:

I might be wrong but aren't they SX40's or something like that... I think they are around $20 - $25

I did buy one a while back haven't used it, but after this post i think i'm gonna break it out... :biggrin2:

Hey Ryhno, SX40's are small bibbed harbody lures and blades are small metal lures.

Cam

.... The water averages depth from 0.5m to 3m. It was over sand and weed.....

Sounds just like what we have!! :) The only time I tried using mine was when I tossed it from the yak, under the bridge but inadvertedly high .... and it hit a bloke walking across the bridge! :wacko:

post-2231-1216871665_thumb.jpg

I had instant action (thought it was a fish :)) & only equated it to the bloke on the bridge after he bent down to see what was preventing him from walking freely! :1prop:

I must perservere with the blades - seems the gold ones are pretty popular all round! It looks very big to only be 1/8th oz! Mine doesn't seem to be that big (but also can't remember the actual size, either!)

Not sure if mine is a TT or lookalike! Hope to get some more in various colours tho - 'specially the gold! :)

Cheerio

Roberta

Seems they are also nailing the bass in the USA just now! There is also a black or silver one available - by Maxi Vibe Lure

Edited by Roberta

Hey Roberta

The Maxi is big! They are more the size of a Jackall TN60(60mm).

The ones for bream are in the 35-40mm range.

Try find a VX35 Ecogear as they are the smallest/lightest one. I fish flats in the 1-3ft mark with them. Try a slow roll over the weed beds or sharp consistant hops that don't hit the bottom ;)

Another thing we I have been playing with is filling the holes with a paste type scent like Megastrike or S factor. Seem to get more hits at night and even when dead sticking them on the bottom or down deep.

Of late I've been sounding out bream on deep flats in the 20-30ft range and fishing the 40mm ones after them. Resaults are bloody encouraging and definately something I'll be doing more of while I'm still breaming.

Keep going and fish as slow as you can......

G

Well done Cam, looks like you had fun even with the crappy weather that's been hanging round at the moment. I've been hearing some good reports about those TT Blades, and will have to pick a few up to add to my luring arsenal. Nice to see you picked up a good variety of fish there and even got a blackie in the mix hehe. :thumbup:

Regards, Pafisho (Bob)

Edited by Pafisho08

Thanks Gary, yes i will keep you updated on my new found sucess :1prop:

Cant wait until the weather warms up a bit, fish will be going nuts over these things.

Mick, thats no good to hear, thought this post would have given some sought of encouragement to have a flick with them. Some of us are just to loyal to the old fantastic plastic. Dont give up that easy mate. I think your spot on there, the Bass season will be an interesting one this year.

Thanks guys

Cam

Yeah Bob, the weather wasnt too crash hot on Wednesday either overcast Southerly, but it didnt get me down...just wet :mad3:

Oh my when i saw the Blckfish i thought i was seeing things maybe a new species....but nope she was a blackfish.

Cam,

I read a report that Blackies are regularly being caught on Blades in the George's river and it's really the only Hard body lure that has every brought the finikey blacky undone outside of the occassional blacky being picked up on a popper....

Cam,

I read a report that Blackies are regularly being caught on Blades in the George's river and it's really the only Hard body lure that has every brought the finikey blacky undone outside of the occassional blacky being picked up on a popper....

HI CAM

I will now have to take my flick stick & one of these blades & all the blacky gear next trip out to see if they

respond to a lure when the bite is on ?.

Regards Pafisho (BOB)

just had me 1st go with blades off the shore got a small bream . can really feel the vibrations when lift and winding ,hey cam , theres 3 holes in the top of the blade (i have the same as you) which one do you go thru? ( midle)? what sort of retrieve you use? when i pause it 4 a bit like when im useing me plastics, it hits the bottom and picks up bits of weed :mad3:

Diver good on you mate, at least you had a go and no matter what size fish you still produced the goods!

look at your packet mate, on the back it tells you what holes are suitable for what.

I use the midle because it gives off the most vibration and slows the lure down alot.

I use it like a plastic for flatties but very gentle if you know what i mean.

The water own's a few of mine already so yes keep it off the bottom. You must pick it up before it drops otherwise you will snag or fould up with weed.

Be gentle and finnese! Dont be eratic thats how i use them anyway diver.

Cheers Cam

PS: Thanks Roberta, it fought good too but now sorry couldnt tell you if it tasted good or not because its still swimming around. :074: I dont mind the blackie in foil whole on the fire.....YUM!!!

Edited by soft-on