An "old... Oldman Snapper"

Andy-Z

Report before the blow hit earlier in the week.

Hit the water a bit late. Plan was to get out to the 50's and get into some pearlies. Conditions were ok until about 5km from our mark where we run into a stiff SE & conditions were crap! Sounded out a few marks & was barron, so we started the slow trog back into shallower water. I noticed as we were traveling that the targa was starting to move a bit, only to find we snapped a stud off on the rocket launcher, so we stopped braced it & continued on our way. As we got close to the mark the sounder lit up with some good showings on the leading side of the ledge. We anchored only to find that there was zero current, less than zero in fact!!! Our baits were sitting right under the boat. We were about 20m from our ledge so we berlied hard. We had a few tentative touches and then the RLF20 takes off. The bail arm was flicked and the rod loaded up to the hilt. A long powerful run to start with and we thought he might not stop it. I eventually pulled it up and we called it for a kingy. This thing didn't give an inch and all through the fight would take some long powerful runs. We thought that a kingy would have bricked me, so we started to call it for a cobia, that was until those tell tale head shakes started. Finally we got colour and the bulk of this thing kept getting bigger & bigger. It finally hit the surface, where we all gasped at the size of this thing. It was slipped into the net and just as we got it over the side the net buckled and snapped!!!! Calling it a contender it was put on the lie detector and pulled the scales down to 28.5lb !!! At home just the head weighed 7lb and the dead weight of the fish bottomed our drag measuring scales out & they go up to 20lb!

It was a monster!

post-1978-1217070652_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andy_Z

Not too far wide. Most of our fishing is done within 5km of the shore.

Great red mate, was it caught deep - it has more of the SA look about it than the chunky ones we've been getting out of shallow water.

Wish i lived on the Goldy with the choices you blokes have out wide.

Off the Gold Coast

what area were u fishing mate?