35 Flatties For The Day

Hodgey

:frozen::frozen::frozen:

I don't know how all you Hairtail Hunters managed to spend a night (or two) on the water, because Dene and I were out on the water at a respectable 8:30am and we still bloody froze! Fortunately the breeze was pretty mild, otherwise it would have been unbearable.

We started the morning fishing 'Cam's Corner' but it was a lot quieter there today. I stuck with the lime tiger minnow and Dene was trialling a mango ripple bug. After nearly two hours of fishing we had only managed to boat 10 flatties, and another blackie that Dene hooked (again) in the ... ummmm... tail region :biggrin2: I did manage to hook a nice fish of 68cm.

post-3198-1217137655_thumb.jpg

Decided to relocate to our favourite bay (that didn't perform when Cam was here unfortunately :( and we found some very well-conditioned fish in good numbers. I started using a mango ripple grub and Dene changed to a rootbeer gold grub. I landed one good fish at 60cm and together we scored several solid fish around the 55-58cm mark, until Dene caught this girl.

post-3198-1217137889_thumb.jpg

This fish was 70cm. Although it was only 2cm bigger than mine, you can see by the photo that it was a MUCH better fish. Strewth she was fat! 15 minutes later and Dene is releasing yet another fish approx 65cm. The water temp is icy cold and the flatties are still very timid. Final tally for the day was Hodgey 18, Deno 17 and 6 flatties between 45 -58cm taken home for a feed. Another terrific day on the water :thumbup:

Hodgey

What were their names? :074:

Do you still use that fishing whistle? :1yikes:

It's like Seaworld, Hodgey rewards each lizard with a tasty morsel before releasing them. They do their bit for the camera, listen for the whistle, then jump back on the line again to receive their reward again. :tease:

You guys should have borrowed the whistle for the social. It's the silver one with hair & slime all over it!! :wacko:

Well done Hodgey & Dene!! I think we should call it the Hodgey & Dene Show!! Top fish - that one of Dene's is in brilliant condition! So fat! Imagine how much better it will get when the prawns start running again! :) :)

Pretty cold up here too! Been wearing my scarf most of the day - even in the house! Windy & cold today - yesterday it was colder in the house than outside! :wacko:

Great report & pics of the action!

Cheerio

Roberta

do you worry about the tides 4 your flathead or just get out whenever u can?

I prefer to fish all the run-out tide if I can but, this time of year, it seems as long as I target deeper water, the tide isn't as big an issue. They tend to go quiet for a while at the top and bottom of the tides though.

Hodgey

in rivers or channels i know the water really gets moveing with the tides but lake macquarie is huge and when fishing out around pulbah island and thurther south i dont think you can even notice the tide moveing? im just wondering if i should be just getting out there when i can or makeing sure i only go on a certain tide? also just wondering what depth you get most of your flathead? you seem to go really good with them and i am aiming to try and get more consistent results to. (im hopeing anyway) :1fishing1:

• 2 weeks later...