Out From Sydney Harbour 26 08 08

saltrix

Went out on my own from Rosevile about 6.15 am. I was the only car in the parking ground, made me think I got the forecast wrong.

There was a bit of a long low swell so I didnt bother trolling close to the headlands and headed straight out to the flathead grounds.

Within seconds of hitting the bottom I got a nice marbled flathead but then it went quite for a while before the bite started again. It was quite a nice day apart from a bit of swell which made it a bit lumpy from North Head to Manly but once clear of the bounce from the cliffs it smoothed out. The wind dropped off so much there was not much drift but the fish were consistant.post-3961-1219737420_thumb.jpg

Only one fish was undersized although I dont bother with them less than about 38cm.

Finished with 4 Eastern Blue Spot and 5 Marbled Flathead (the marbled are by far the better eating fish), and a couple of good sized Morwong (45cm and 42cm). The biggest flathead was 53cm, and the smallest 38cm, most were 45-50cm.

Got a couple of Red Gurnard. Got a couple a few weeks ago, one Spiny and one Red, but again the Red was much better eating. They are a bundle of spines and sharp gills but have a firm white flesh. The spines are reputed to be venemous.post-3961-1219737501_thumb.jpg

Dropped a plate sized snapper and headed home about 11am.

post-3961-1219737250_thumb.jpg

post-3961-1219737421_thumb.jpg

Went out on my own from Rosevile about 6.15 am. I was the only car in the parking ground, made me think I got the forecast wrong.

There was a bit of a long low swell so I didnt bother trolling close to the headlands and headed straight out to the flathead grounds.

Within seconds of hitting the bottom I got a nice marbled flathead but then it went quite for a while before the bite started again. It was quite a nice day apart from a bit of swell which made it a bit lumpy from North Head to Manly but once clear of the bounce from the cliffs it smoothed out. The wind dropped off so much there was not much drift but the fish were consistant.post-3961-1219737420_thumb.jpg

Only one fish was undersized although I dont bother with them less than about 38cm.

Finished with 4 Eastern Blue Spot and 5 Marbled Flathead (the marbled are by far the better eating fish), and a couple of good sized Morwong (45cm and 42cm). The biggest flathead was 53cm, and the smallest 38cm, most were 45-50cm.

Got a couple of Red Gurnard. Got a couple a few weeks ago, one Spiny and one Red, but again the Red was much better eating. They are a bundle of spines and sharp gills but have a firm white flesh. The spines are reputed to be venemous.post-3961-1219737501_thumb.jpg

Well done Saltrix,

You managed to clean up once again.

Its great when you get to the ramp on your own for a mid week session.

Nice feed and I think you picked the best day of the week.

Congratulations once again mate.

Twin 1 :thumbup:

NICE CATCH MATE.....AT NEARLY $40.00 A KILO FOR SKINNED LIZARDS ( LAST TIME I CHECKED IT WAS ) YOU DID WELL....ENJOY YOUR FEAST.. ARE THOSE WRETCHED JACKETS STILL ABOUT

Those gurnard are top tucker. But you Do Not want to be hit by those spines! No no no no no!

I agree, they look pretty nasty especially on the spiny gunard. I sometimes worry that mentioning that they are good eating might encourage some fishos to handle them who would otherwise cut them off. The same applies to red rock cod who also can deliver a nasty sting but the large ones are good eating also.

On the boat a carry a small club which I use to quickly kill fish I am going to keep, and also have pliers hany to handle the spikey types.

NICE CATCH MATE.....AT NEARLY $40.00 A KILO FOR SKINNED LIZARDS ( LAST TIME I CHECKED IT WAS ) YOU DID WELL....ENJOY YOUR FEAST.. ARE THOSE WRETCHED JACKETS STILL ABOUT

Did not lose a rig or a hook so there were none around where I was fishing. Those flathead only seem to be around in the numbers they are now from around mid August to early October. They are so thick now that the bait only seems to last a few minutes , may be the jackets dont have time to find it.