What Knot Do You Use And Why?

arron

G'day all,

I'm going to start using a shock leader on my 50lb braid king set up... Have been doing some research on what Knots to use to join the braid to the shock leader while maintaining breaking strain as well as size of knot so it will run reaonable smooth over my guides....

Just was wondering what you guys use and the pro's and con's you've found...

Cheers Arron

Edited by arron

G'day all,

I'm going to start using a shock leader on my 50lb braid king set up... Have been doing some research on what Knots to use to join the braid to the shock leader while maintaining breaking strain as well as size of knot so it will run reaonable smooth over my guides....

Just was wondering what you guys use and the pro's and con's you've found...

Cheers Arron

Hi Mate

I have been using a spider hitch and have yet had it fail and it moves through the guides OK. miind you there ar\e better knots but are far more complicated.

Cheers

Luke

Slim Beauty is a good knot and will tolerate slight imperfections int he execution. Albright (and its various aliases) is also a cracket but, I have had a few fail due to slight imperfections.

Try a few and work out which one you like. Rat Kings are a great way to test your knots out. :thumbup:

Can I ask what an improved albright is. (I guess I just did)

Would that be with a double. I have just started using the bimini twist in my braid to create a double and the using a double uni knot to join the braid and flourocarbon leader. Saw it used on a vid but haven't had it tested on a fish yet. Any comments?

Can I ask what an improved albright is. (I guess I just did)

The Improved Albright involves wrapping both up and down the loop in the leader opposed to just up in the albright.

Edited by reLapse

Thanks to all for there advice.... :thumbup:

I have been using the (Standard) albright on my lighter outfits and am happy with it...Up until now i have been tieing the braid directly to my snap swivel and then about 2m of flurocarbon trace of that,,, i've only just recently learnt of shock leaders and the benifiets...

At the moment i'm leaning towards the improved albright...

If i was using 60lb leader with 50 lb main line,,,

Would i make the shock leader out of 60lb?.... Is there a "rule of thumb for this"?

Cheers Arron :thumbup:

albright works with all line diameters!

albrights still work well even if the leader is way heaver than the main line.

double uni falls short in that situation cause the thinner line tries to slip or cut under the heavier line.

when choosing your leader strength make your choice on where you are fishing, eg what terrian, and what your target species is.

don't always use the same leader sometimes lighter is good and vice versa.

hope that helps a bit.

but just remember it's up to you! making choices is part of the fun.

If you want to try something different, google the 'Sebile knot'. I've tested it successfully on a few impoundment barra up to 30kg. It is slimmer than an albright (yes its possible) so casts super well. I've also got it to 100% about half the time ie breaks elsewhere in the braid not at the knot without a double.

Spider Hitch ....... eek!!!! I can highly recommend NOT using that one.

If you really need a double then a bimini is fast and easy and much stronger.

As for the braid to leader knot, I can highly recommend the Slim Beauty. It ties fast, and is tapered so that there is no catching on guides during casting and it does tend to hold better than a double uni or albright.

If you spend some time practising and being meticulous with your knot tying each one will come out perfect and you will have a huge amount of confidence with your fishing.

One other thing to keep in mind is to always use a quality leader material. I normally stick with Yamatoyo or Frog Hair. The Frog Hair is a little on the expensive side but a pleasure to use.

Edited by NickN

Guest Big-Banana

Spider Hitch ....... eek!!!! I can highly recommend NOT using that one.

If you really need a double then a bimini is fast and easy and much stronger.

As for the braid to leader knot, I can highly recommend the Slim Beauty. It ties fast, and is tapered so that there is no catching on guides during casting and it does tend to hold better than a double uni or albright.

If you spend some time practising and being meticulous with your knot tying each one will come out perfect and you will have a huge amount of confidence with your fishing.

One other thing to keep in mind is to always use a quality leader material. I normally stick with Yamatoyo or Frog Hair. The Frog Hair is a little on the expensive side but a pleasure to use.

Spider Hitch is fine in mono, retains about 80%, is quick an easy to tie when the kings are on the chew!

In braid it's terrible! About 40%.

Stick to the Bimini in Both if you have the time to tie it.

i've decided i'm going with the improved albright with a bimini in the braid...

I've finally got my Torsa 20 loaded up and matched with a jig rex and as this my first overhead reel with a lever drag i've had to set my own drag for the fist time and thoroughly enjoyed doing it..

i've loaded it up with 50lb "snake head / frog / power braided line and will be using 60lb "FC 100/ system leader" as leader material....

I,ve set my drag at 8kg at sunset which left me about 5 1/2 kg's on strike...

I've learnt and tied the bimini in the braid and am yet to purchase my shock leader material to tie the improved albright...

I plan to test every knot on my set up to hopefully insure not only that i'm tying them correctly but that i can maintain 8kg drag all the way through to the fishies mouth.

Daylight savings starts soon can't wait :1fishing1:

Cheers Arron :thumbup:

Edited by arron

Aaron, great choice with your knots you took the high road and put the time into the Bimini, well done.

Always good comfort knowing you have the best knots connecting you to the fish.

I hope the extra time spent with the knots is rewarding for you.

Nick

I must still be in the imperial units days.

Spider & bimini have served me fine for the last 20 years or so. Really can't recall too many, if any failures due to knots in that time.

Still willing to learn though - if what I have been using is less than "meets the mark".

Still need a little convincing - honestly can't remember failures due to these knots.

Maybe the new type of knots that are being quoted relate more to braid than mono???? - or braid to mono?