Harbour Blackies 25/9

andrew399

Met up today with roosterman after months of trying to get out together so that i could learn the secretive art of blackie fishing. It had been a long time coming and when i received a msg from steve at 2.00 in the arvo saying he was leaving work early to have a quick session I was more than happy to leave my massive uni assignment (due tomorrow and no where near done) for a few hours and join him!

I arrived only to be told that my fluoro leader was about 8 times to long! A quick adjustment had me ready for my next lesson, bait presentation. I had no idea that there was so much work involved with everything. After a quick run down i had the a fresh stringy weed bait in the water. It a very exciting way to fish watching the float dipping under water all the time. There were plagues of very small fish attacking our baits which meant alot of rebaiting. Whilst steve was annoyed with all the tiddlers, i was happy watching the float dipping under!

Soon Steve was on to a nice fish that promptly went in to the keeper net. I honestly did not expect to catch any fish as I know it is a bit of an art form but minutes later i was on!! Unfortunately I was a little over zealous with the fish and ended up pulling the hooks. Was very surprised at how hard they pull for a little fish! Steve gave me a few tips on handling them abit softer and I was ready for the next one!

We moved location and straight away I was on again! I played this one out a bit more and managed to get it in the net, my first blackie!! I looked up to see Steve on as well and quickly netted his fish too. Over the next 10mins I managed to get another one that also went in the keeper net. Unfortunately it was about this time that I realised how long Id been down there (only 2 hours) and decided Id better get home and smash my assignment. Steve stayed on and managed another half a dozen fish or so which had me spewing I didnt stay!

Anyways, had a great time and a big thanks to Roosterman for teaching me the intricacies (spelling??) of blackie fishing! I will definately be spending more time chasing them and the fillets tasted great tonight! I dont have any pics but steve took a couple on his phone so may put them up if he sees this...

Thanks for reading!

Congratulations on your first Blackies, Dicko!! :thumbup::yahoo: Well Done!!

Welcome to the Blackfish Brigade - a word of warning tho - this form of fishing is seriously addictive! :1yikes: You can't just stop at ONE!! It is not uncommon for Blackfish addicts to be found scrounging around ponds & creeks, looking for their 'special' weed & are very secretive about where they do get it. This sport may also affect your bank balance, as you will probably be on the lookout for that 'perfect' blackfish rod, just like the one that Roosterman was using & may even feel inclined to buy a Centrepin Reel, to see how the 'professionals' do it. Eventually, you will find yourself continually thinking & dreaming about your next blackfish session, so much so, that your partner will begin to feel neglected & may ask for a divorce! Or worse - they may even join you on your Blackfish Outings!! :1badmood:

NAH!! Only kidding (sort of ......)

For 'little' fish, they pull like a steam train - just wait till you get one over 40cm! Then you really know how 'they go'!!!

Sounds like you had a great session with a great teacher & I know "YOU'LL BE BACK''

Cheerio

Roberta

congrats again on getting your first blacky mate :thumbup:

thought id let you post due to such an important day,your initiation into the dark art :ph34r:

the downs there are very hard due to the plagues of tiddlers and you did well to get a couple nice ones.

that first mongloid one went 31cm :1yikes: so a bit bigger than first estimates...

it was funny to see the hoards of tiddlers follow my bait into shallows so i could watch them attacking my baits,float hardly moved but baits getting ripped from side to side by 6 to 10 blackies of prob 10 to 15cm :tease: ..

heres a pic of the ones i took home

post-2219-1222420588_thumb.jpg

the tiddlers thinned out as the sun got low and i fished further in the deep..

all up for the day i prob caught about 10 legals (let 4 go around the 28 - 32cm) and numerous tiddlers including a whopper around 10cm :1yikes: ...

got dusted by a 40+ model after about 3 min tussle but as i had a good feed already was no great loss but awesome fun in tricky conditions...

all in all a great arvo weather wise and the fish were there to play...

the company was good and hope to do it again soon...

cheers...steve......

Edited by roosterman

Congratulations on your first Blackies, Dicko!! :thumbup::yahoo: Well Done!!

Welcome to the Blackfish Brigade - a word of warning tho - this form of fishing is seriously addictive! :1yikes: You can't just stop at ONE!! It is not uncommon for Blackfish addicts to be found scrounging around ponds & creeks, looking for their 'special' weed & are very secretive about where they do get it. This sport may also affect your bank balance, as you will probably be on the lookout for that 'perfect' blackfish rod, just like the one that Roosterman was using & may even feel inclined to buy a Centrepin Reel, to see how the 'professionals' do it. Eventually, you will find yourself continually thinking & dreaming about your next blackfish session, so much so, that your partner will begin to feel neglected & may ask for a divorce! Or worse - they may even join you on your Blackfish Outings!! :1badmood:

NAH!! Only kidding (sort of ......)

For 'little' fish, they pull like a steam train - just wait till you get one over 40cm! Then you really know how 'they go'!!!

Sounds like you had a great session with a great teacher & I know "YOU'LL BE BACK''

Cheerio

Roberta

G'day Roberta,

For other Raiders, Roberta hits the nail on the head.

I can reacall fishing for hours after the "downs" have stopped - but just in case, you must present another bait - much like the "last cast" that lure fisherpeople talk about.

Have a look at my favourite spots - give them a go. Sorry, not very clear but look for the two red marks

Good luck

Edited by Mariner 31

You must now keep many secrets not share anything become cranky and most of all sell all other gear and dedicate your life to luderick that was in 1930!

Welcome my friend and enjoy! :1prop:

Its addictive and if your not a full timer then its always a great standby for a feed! If you become a full timer you need to come out! Ha ha its a great o see a resurgance!