Who Has Right Of Way?

Tiger Cam

Could someone please clarify who has right of way in this scenario?

a') Amateur fisherman trying to flick plastics off the back of his roundabout or;

b') Coxless Sculls heading in your direction (back to you so they can’t see where they are going).

I managed to dodge a couple by reversing the boat out of their way but in one case I just didn’t hear them coming as they approached (silently and at a rate of knots) but fortunately they caught sight of me and changed direction. One “lady” on the scull bleated out the obvious: “We haven’t got f****g eyes in the back of our heads” as they swooshed past us. I waved apologetically but later wondered who has right of way?

Cheers,

Cam

I'm not sure I've got everything from your post (e.g. were you anchored and where, was the other boat reversing, etc), but the general rule (and I mean rule, not just "practice" is) - quote:

A good lookout must be kept by sight and hearing. The master must be fully aware of the boating environment, especially in bad weather, restricted visibility or darkness. Don’t forget to look all around – even behind you.

Don’t confuse the lookout duties of the master with those of the observer when the boat is towing a person on skis, tubes, etc.

The master is responsible at all times for keeping a lookout for dangers.

- end quote

So that lady should have told the person in charge of her boat (instead of you) to have ... eyes in the back of his/her head - its the must when you driving the boat no matter what others are doing on the water!

P.S. I assume you were kind of drifting - e.g. not chasing that other boat from behind :D

a') Amateur fisherman trying to flick plastics off the back of his roundabout or;

b') Coxless Sculls heading in your direction (back to you so they can’t see where they are going).

I managed to dodge a couple by reversing the boat out of their way but in one case I just didn’t hear them coming as they approached (silently and at a rate of knots) but fortunately they caught sight of me and changed direction. One “lady” on the scull bleated out the obvious: “We haven’t got f****g eyes in the back of our heads” as they swooshed past us. I waved apologetically but later wondered who has right of way?

Cheers,

Cam

Edited by Kruzenvax

From the boating Handbook (available here):

The master must continuously assess the risk of collision with other vessels and power vessels must give way to:

• sailing vessels

• vessels approaching head on (by altering course to starboard)

• vessels approaching from the right (starboard) hand side (ie, crossing)

• vessels displaying the special lights and signals shown in this chapter

• large vessels restricted in their manoeuvrability

• any vessel being overtaken and

• vessels engaged in fishing activities and showing appropriate signals.

A vessel drifting is deemed to be underway and has no special right of way. It is required to comply with the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea.

So since you are a power vessel, and underway (assuming you were drifting and not anchored), and they are a sailing vessel, you must give way.

But note that in an accident, both captains can be found responsible. It is the responsibility of all vessels to avoid collisions at all costs.

Mike

Edit: Oops - I realised you were talking about rowing, and not sailing. However, the situation still remains - power must give way to unpowered. Drifting is considered to be underway. It's a hard situation - and both vessels need to be careful.

The master is responsible at all times for keeping a lookout for dangers.

So that lady should have told the person in charge of her boat (instead of you) to have ... eyes in the back of his/her head - its the must when you driving the boat no matter what others are doing on the water!

That's absolutely right. Just because the unpowered vessel has right of way, doesn't mean they aren't responsible at all times for keeping a lookout for dangers.

Mike

Edited by Mike Doyle

One “lady” on the scull bleated out the obvious: “We haven’t got f****g eyes in the back of our heads” as they swooshed past us. I waved apologetically but later wondered who has right of way?

Cheers,

Cam

But really, that is so typical of em..

Every run in I've had with them has proved that they think they own the river.

I used to go wading down at Figtree bridge; I will ALWAYS get out of the water when I see them coming.

Unfortunately, a fisherman wading in water isn't as fast as a scull at full speed, I've had a near miss with a scull being aimed at me, and another with oars narrowly missing my head!

Dunno why they're like that that.. the rivers are there to be shared.

hey guys if your talking about parra river to gladsville there should be a boat at the start and finish off all the rowers problem is there maybe 2 km between first and last row boat

a few things to consider

they usuly start at 5.00am in darkness

they usuly stick to the right side going up river and and the same going back

they have to avoid river cats fishing boats and every clown at the worst possible time dawn

i'm not saying they have right off way but if they seem to be in a hurry i would be to with 4 inches off side to the water and bull shark lurking :1yikes:

if they get a bit close just start with the hawai 5 o theme song that's what we do with the yakkas it seems to be a song no one like that is paddeling :biggrin2:

gary

There is a rowers etiquette, code of conduct that the clubs signed up to so they didn't all have to have floatation, display of rego number or safety gear. It will be on the waterways website I think.

They should be lit, they should have an observer boat. Both boats are at fault if there is ever a physical collision.

If you are not under power are you a powerd vessel. I don't think so as you could just as esily pull out your oar and say you are a row boat!!! Then it is back to the ol'port and starboard.

Most boats or rowers have markings or uniforms , call the club captain and coach and tell them what is happening as they really don't want the conflict as without a observer they are in the wrong. Follow up with waterways if you happen to encounter a moron who doesn't understand his rowers obligations and the concession they have been given concerning carring of safety gear and speed zones.

We just do 5 quick blasts on the airhorn when they are very close if they are morons - wakes them up if they are coming stupidly close to us.!!!

And on a positive note corporate Dragon boat season can't be far away with daylight saving starting early - lucky us - noisy people who paddle!!! Don't know what I prfer ,silent death or floating fish scarer.

Go the bull sharks. You could always burley up a lot of cows blood and offal near the rowing sheds so they could see the pretty fishy'.

Edited by pelican

Maybe,

today's morons

possibly,

tomorrows Olympic Champions???

These guys were morons, apparently doing circles round the ship MV Tomoko

News-National

Tomoko hits boat, slices it into two

Wednesday, 17 September 2008

A 19-FOOT bray boat powered by a 15hp engine was hit and sliced into half by MV Tomoko on Monday night – throwing all three men into sea.

Reports reaching the Solomon Star on Tuesday said the incident happened after 10pm when MV Tomoko was leaving for Ranoggah through Gizo harbour.

Reports from Gizo said the three had been drinking and partying in the boat since Monday evening.

A man in his early 40s received head injuries while two others received minor injuries from the impact of the clash. The three were immediately rescued by another canoe and rushed to the Gizo hospital.

Gizo police yesterday confirmed the incident but declined to comment and give details, saying it’s under investigation. Informants in Gizo said the three deliberately raced against and circled around MV Tomoko as the ship heads out of the harbour.

“The driver must have lost control during one of their next turnaround strips resulting in MV Tomoko ramming the bray boat in half,” one informant said.

Dr Allen Alepio of Gizo Hospital said two were discharged after treatment, the third was admitted. De Alepio said the one admitted got head injuries and a fractured jaw.

MV Tomoko was on a special trip to Ranoggah to bring Adventist members for a weeklong camp meeting in Kukudu when the incident occurred.

By MOFFAT MAMU

Unfortunately, a fisherman wading in water isn't as fast as a scull at full speed, I've had a near miss with a scull being aimed at me, and another with oars narrowly missing my head!

And interesting enough - as a swimmer, you have right of way over them.

Mind you - hard to argue that when you're sitting at the bottom of the harbour.

Mike

And interesting enough - as a swimmer, you have right of way over them.

Mind you - hard to argue that when you're sitting at the bottom of the harbour.

Mike

Isn't it a requirement not to exceed 4 knots within 100 metres of swimmers, wharves, moored boats , or what is construed to be a built up area.

Those guys rock at speeds of 10 + knots I would imagine.

There is a rowers etiquette, code of conduct that the clubs signed up to so they didn't all have to have floatation, display of rego number or safety gear. It will be on the waterways website I think.

Available here. I don't think they need an observer boat - but certainly need lights, to be visible, and to keep an eye out.

They have right of way - but both vessels are responsible for a collision if either could have taken steps to avoid it.

If you are not under power are you a powerd vessel. I don't think so as you could just as esily pull out your oar and say you are a row boat!!! Then it is back to the ol'port and starboard.

If you have a motor, and aren't anchored, then you are a powered boat underway. So if you're drifting - you still need to give way to non-powered boats. Check out here (in particular the bold - waterways site) that points this out.

Of course this doesn't excuse them being idiots or rude. They still need to be visible and keep a look out. We all need to share, and often it doesn't take much to keep out of each others way - if both groups try.

We just do 5 quick blasts on the airhorn when they are very close if they are morons - wakes them up if they are coming stupidly close to us.!!!

Sounds like a good call!

Mike

Edited by Mike Doyle

To be honest i dont think its a question of "who has right of way", i think its more a question of "what F***head was stupid enough to travel across your path whilst you were casting?!!".

You certainly have right of way, you were fishing there first, they have a whole river mouth in which they could have passed through.

I use to do rowing on the regular down at birkenhead and looking behind you was always routine and i always knew what was up ahead so dont believe them when they say they are rowing blindly (or they dont have eyes at the back of their head).

The problem today is that the majority of people that get their boat license instantly throw out everything they learned the moment they hit the water and people that operate vessels that don't require licenses don't know the basics.

It's cars and bicycles all over again in my opinion.

Edited by reLapse

Are these rowboats (not powered, not sailboats)?

Kruzenvax

I’m talking rowboats. Coxless sculls do not have a cox, which is a guy in the back of the boat facing in the direction of travel yelling at the rowers with instructions.

Just to clarify – I was drifting slowly in Middle Harbour near Sugarloaf Point around 7:30am - my first time out that way. They weren’t racing however they do move pretty quickly across the water ... and they kept coming ..... one after another! You can see an example of them in the background of a photo here: http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=34301

Pelican

This is a good option in particular when they catch you unaware!

Thanks for your replies - I think it's pretty clear now :tease: - keep one eye on the SP, one eye on traffic and one on the oyster covered rocks your drifting towards! :wacko:

Cheers,

Cam

In my oppinion its a joke, Do you walk bakwards or run backwards and expect others to get out your way...........

NO.... you go backwards at your own risk mate.

If you were anchored...... what then........ If they are coming towards you and not looking at what they are doing just line them up with your paddel or a big fish you just cought and SLAP them at the back of the head when they zip past ya..........and then givem the :05: card or one of these :tease: