First Trip In Bobans Sailfish 7 Mt

Hit the water around 7 am with outdoordan and Mitch (Boban) in his new 7 mt Sailfish Kat :1yikes:

The idea was to head wide looking for the temp break.

We were joined by RZEE and his two mates aboard thier 6.5 mt Barcrusher.

We didnt see a lot of action,but the other boat who were right beside us for most of the day got a few fish and I will let them report.

We got a couple of small stripeys for our efforts.

We didnt find the temp break after going over 60 klms to sea :( but the new Sailfish handled the conditons beautifully and was a sweet ride home in the large swell and slop at over 25 knots all the way.

There were a lot of dolphins out there or porpoises :tease:

Great to get out even thogh we didnt get onto the fin :05:

Thanks Mitch and Dan and Rzee and crew for a great day out.

post-256-1223544934_thumb.jpg

post-256-1223544922_thumb.jpg

post-256-1223544821_thumb.jpg

post-256-1223544833_thumb.jpg

post-256-1223544906_thumb.jpg

post-256-1223544810_thumb.jpg

post-256-1223544945_thumb.jpg

Cheers Stewy

We didnt find the temp break after going over 60 klms to sea :1yikes:

Strewth that's a bloody long swim home! The new boat looks great Mitch :yahoo: It's just a shame the fin didn't read the script. Still, it was a day spent on the water with mates, and that sounds alright to me :thumbup: Top photos, Stewy!

Cheers

Hodgey

Stewy,

I just had a shower and im getting ready for bed.

LOOOONGGG DAYYYY!!!

I will put a detailed report tomorrow..

Just briefly, We brought home 4 small fins to 15kg, a respectable dollie around the meter mark and a couple of stripies to be cubed over the weekend.

I will post some photos and tell a story of how i barely got away with keeping my thumb after a hook up and long battle with a large YFT.

Thank you for the day out guys... great company!

stay tuned.

R_zee

Mate that's a block of flats!! It's huge!

Mighty fine piece of boat you have there Mitch, you'll be able to take on near any conditions in that beast. Good luck mate, may your rods be bent and your kill tanks full.

Greg

Thanks for the compliments on the boat guys. It is everything I expected and a little bit more.

Unfortunately, the conditions and luck were not with us yesterday, and to top it all off the mutton birds drove us crazy. But thats fishing I guess.

At least I got to finally put the thing in the water and test her out. We cruised back at 3500 revs doing 25knots in less than ideal conditions. In that regard, I still have a smile on my dial. The enclosed cabin is heaven as far as I am concerned. Even my youngest son, who normally gets scared in those conditions was very laid back about the trip home.

Isn't it funny how you run within a few metres of another boat, run the same lures and only pick up a couple of stripeys while they nail four decent fish on the troll. I've been on the other side of the equation a few times and I know the feelings are chalk and cheese. I guess it all makes the good trips stand out and I have no right to whinge given the trip earlier this year when we could have caught as many 40kg plus models we wanted.

Mate that's a block of flats!!

Now I've heard some people tell me I should of bought some instead of the boat. Bloody heathens.....

Cheers

Mitch

Very nice outfit indeed.

I bet the young bloke felt comfortable with that wrap around cabin.

Pity about the fin but, for me, just being out in that beast would have sufficed.

So what are you going to buy the :wife: for xmas to appease her :wacko:

Mate, beautiful machine.

And by all looks, a great day had by all just being on the water.

Thanks Stewie ( I was a little confused at first by the photos) both rigs you captured nearly have the same donk!!

Very nice outfit indeed.

I bet the young bloke felt comfortable with that wrap around cabin.

Pity about the fin but, for me, just being out in that beast would have sufficed.

So what are you going to buy the :wife: for xmas to appease her :wacko:

Mate, beautiful machine.

And by all looks, a great day had by all just being on the water.

Thanks Stewie ( I was a little confused at first by the photos) both rigs you captured nearly have the same donk!!

The Big Boy has twin 150 evinurudes and the Barcrusher has a single 200hp :biggrin2:

Some great shots Stewy. That's a sweet looking ride. Pity the petrol companies can see you coming with one of those on a trailer behind you... it makes enjoying a day on the water just a little less carefree.

Hope you find that temp break and a few fin next time out.

Cheers, Slinky

Some great shots Stewy. That's a sweet looking ride. Pity the petrol companies can see you coming with one of those on a trailer behind you... it makes enjoying a day on the water just a little less carefree.

Hope you find that temp break and a few fin next time out.

Cheers, Slinky

Surprisingly we only used around 200 litres and we didnt spare the horsepower on the way out or in.

Cheap day out I reckon shared between mates :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

• 1 month later...

Hi Boban,

beautiful boat mate, I hope to own somwthing similar one day. Just curious on your choice of outboards. I was doing some reading about ETECs and a google search I done gave me a link to a fishraider thread about ETECs from mid last year where you didn't seem to be real keen on them and much prefered your 4-stroke, and while I was reading your posts I remembered this thread from a little while ago. So I'm just wondering what changed your opinion for you to buy a boat (a bloody spectacular boat at that) with TWIN ETECs. I've copied some of your replies into this post incase you forget the thread as I don't know how to post a link o the original thread. Would be very interested to hear about why you changed from 4-strokes when you seemed to be very happy with your previous outboard.

Here is my opinion for what its worth.

If you want ski boat type of acceleration, and will be working at high speeds constantly, then I think the DFI's are a more suitable option. If you any amount of trolling, with the motor at low revs, or spend large amounts of time outside, then I think the four strokes are more suitable.

My experience with my four stroke has been all positive so far. The same cannot be said for that technology that has been around for ever, the humble 2 stroke.

Today I got a call from an outboard engine mechanic of some standing. He is one person I trust and one person in the industry who many respect.

After we discussed the matters which he rang me for, I asked him about which motor to buy for my upcoming purchase in the 225Hp category. He told me that the Suzuki 4 stroke is one sweet motor. He advised against the ETEC for a number of reasons but none that I will repeat, as I couldn't answer any in depth questions as to why he doesn't like them. He did say that "in the end its still a 2 stroke".

I think 30+ years in the industry is a reasonable amount of experience. And I know for a fact that he has had a long association with 4 strokes and 2 strokes.

Edited by LittleNoah

Fantastic boats both of them! Brilliant, hop ethey serve you well.

Mitch, mate I hope you get to use your new boat more than me. I bought Pog in Feb & have been out about 6 times. Cancelled numerous trips in the last few months due to work or weather.......I will get out I will I will!!!!

Congrats mate well done, how bout some pics of inside?

PS - No name yet?

Hi Boban,

beautiful boat mate, I hope to own somwthing similar one day. Just curious on your choice of outboards. I was doing some reading about ETECs and a google search I done gave me a link to a fishraider thread about ETECs from mid last year where you didn't seem to be real keen on them and much prefered your 4-stroke, and while I was reading your posts I remembered this thread from a little while ago. So I'm just wondering what changed your opinion for you to buy a boat (a bloody spectacular boat at that) with TWIN ETECs. I've copied some of your replies into this post incase you forget the thread as I don't know how to post a link o the original thread. Would be very interested to hear about why you changed from 4-strokes when you seemed to be very happy with your previous outboard.

Here is my opinion for what its worth.

If you want ski boat type of acceleration, and will be working at high speeds constantly, then I think the DFI's are a more suitable option. If you any amount of trolling, with the motor at low revs, or spend large amounts of time outside, then I think the four strokes are more suitable.

My experience with my four stroke has been all positive so far. The same cannot be said for that technology that has been around for ever, the humble 2 stroke.

Today I got a call from an outboard engine mechanic of some standing. He is one person I trust and one person in the industry who many respect.

After we discussed the matters which he rang me for, I asked him about which motor to buy for my upcoming purchase in the 225Hp category. He told me that the Suzuki 4 stroke is one sweet motor. He advised against the ETEC for a number of reasons but none that I will repeat, as I couldn't answer any in depth questions as to why he doesn't like them. He did say that "in the end its still a 2 stroke".

I think 30+ years in the industry is a reasonable amount of experience. And I know for a fact that he has had a long association with 4 strokes and 2 strokes.

Yes I still love my four strokes and had I bought the boat new, I dare say that I would have chosen a pair of four strokes. The biggest issue I had with purchasing this second had boat was the fact that it didn't have four strokes on the back. I took it out for a good run before putting down a deposit and in the end I must say I was very excited about how this boat performed. Even with one motor it got onto the plane very easily. You can imagine what it is like with the two down.

There is a lot of hype and BS about when it comes to motors and Evinrude contribute their fair share in their advertising. Before I purchased my Honda, we owned a Johnson, Mercury and Yamaha old tech two strokes. We had various problems with these motors but nothing really too bad. The Honda was like a breath of fresh air and in so many ways was the perfect motor for a fisherman. Not fast, but reliable. You never got that feeling that maybe she wouldn't start first time. That perhaps explains my preference for the four strokes.

Up to this point in time I had only owned the old type two strokes and a couple of four strokes. A close mate of mine has the Evinrude 200Hp and the few times I had been in his boat, the experience has not been negative. We both bought our boats at the same time. His boat left my old boat (which my brother in law now owns) for dead on the speed front, but mine would cruise very nicely outside (which is where I fish 90% of the time) and was a lot quieter than his boat and the Optimax's I have experienced. I still prefer the four strokes for trolling.

Now, I have nothing so far but positive experiences with the motors on the Sailfish, but they have something like 60 hours on the dial, so I guess it's early days. The acceleration is awesome in the new boat and after a trip in Greg Lee's boat, this did not come as a surprise. The fricken thing flies for a 7m boat.

Now if you ask me what I would buy if I was to buy two motors tomorrow, I'd still buy the four strokes. It's not all about speed for me and the servicing costs don't bother me. That said, I'm sticking with these motors until they die.

I hope that explains it for you.

HEY BOOFHEAD,

Mate I know how you feel and I'm not fairing too much better than you are. I can't wait till I get up to Port this year. I'm really looking forward to some time off. I hope the weather plays ball this year.

I'll get some more pics of the inside up for you soon.

Cheers

Mitch