Bass In The Deua River

Hodgey

G'Day all,

There has some terrific bass reports on this site of late. Whilst I really enjoy the estuary/lake fishing offered in my local area, I am still a bass nut at heart. :biggrin2: There are bass to be found in the upper reaches of the Tuross River, but I have been given some information this morning (from a breathless fisho mate :074: ), who has discovered some very good sized bass in the Deua River, outside Araluen. I needed to investigate!

Sunday is Family Drive Day in my house, so we set off for the beach ... via Araleun :1prop: Left the family safely esconced in the airconditioned car, and fought my way through lantana and blackberry bushes.Have a look what I found...

post-3198-1223780832_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1223780886_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1223780962_thumb.jpg

These rocks are undercut by deep water

post-3198-1223780994_thumb.jpg

And this snag will be worth a cast or two twilight or dawn

post-3198-1223781577_thumb.jpg

Well, there you go folks. I was determined to make my milestone post something worth looking at :biggrin2: For those who are interested, the lures doing the damage on the bass in the Deua at the moment are cicadas and sammys on the surface, and betts spinners w/3" grubs on a 1/8 oz jig head. I hope to get 're-acquainted' with the bronze battlers in the very near future!

Cheers

Hodgey

What a magic little hideaway Hodgey. I didn't miss it afterall... congrats on the 1000. :banana:

When you get your gear into that stretch of water may the air be humid & warm, the sky overcast, the Cicadas singing and the bass biting their heads off.

Some great shots of what should be henceforth known as "1000 Snags".

Tight lines and looking forward to the next 1000 posts. :1wine:

Cheers, Slinky

congrats on a 1000 post hodgy that looks like a bass meca

and a special thank you from me[the little chat you had with dylan my son]at the botany bash as you know he hated fishing he now has a pashion for sp's thanks again ian fishing with my son was a dream come true

as i never thought it would happen :thumbup:

cherrs gary

congrats on a 1000 post hodgy that looks like a bass meca

and a special thank you from me[the little chat you had with dylan my son]at the botany bash as you know he hated fishing he now has a pashion for sp's thanks again ian fishing with my son was a dream come true

as i never thought it would happen :thumbup:

cherrs gary

Hodgey, the Fisherman Whisperer :074:

That's great news Gary. Dylan sounded pretty well solid on his opinion that fishing wasn't his thing. There's nothing more fun than fishing with your own kids.

Cheers, Slinky

Well done Hodgey on reaching the milestone of 1,000 posts, very pleasureable indeed. Always feel like I'm in the boat with you from the descriptive and photographic posts.

Can't wait to see some reports from that new "neck-of-the-woods". I think there would definately be some lure smashing specimens in and around those ledges and snags.

Congratulations.

Cheers

Carl

Well done on the 1000 posts Hodgey...

:beersmile: Here is to another 1000 :beersmile:

Top shots mate, would love to give that a go definately...

When the Narooma trip happens may make a detour and possibly catch up and give it an assault or something...

Cheers

Ben

Thank you for your kind words folks. :blush:

Picked up some more surface lures today and have dusted off a packet of Betts Spinners ... not that I'm keen at all :074:

I am landbased this weekend, so weather permitting, I will wander down to the river and see what I can't scare up :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

:1clap::1clap::clapping: Congratulations on your 1000th post Hodgey & what a gorgeous spot to celebrate it with! I can see the next time I visit, I will need to book my site for at least a couple of weeks, whilst you reel off the spots to fish!! :1yikes: Will have to coincide some weekends to hit the water together! :thumbup:

You don't want to lose too many of those sammys at $25 a pop!! I saw 3 go 'bye bye' in BIG tailor mouths this week just gone (none of them mine :) :) )!!

Last week, on a river somewhere down there, I got done 'big time' by a bass with a purple spinner bait (having never used them before!) The fish is still swimming around with it in its mouth!!! I wanna go back & find him!

Well done & here's to the next 1000!! :)

Cheerio

Roberta

Nearly fell off my chair when I saw your photos. I have a couple of shots exactly like them.

I was only fishing that very spot on Saturday afternoon to no avail. The bass just aren't there.

My mum moved down to Moruya in 2001 and I have fished that spot at least twice a year ever since.

The first time I discovered it in 2001 the bass were everywhere.

The following two years the fish were harder to find but a decent size. I got bricked by some monsters.

But haven't caught a single bass there since.

As you know the Deua is very long narrow river and I think the fish move from pool to pool. But there are very few places you can fish due to the terrain or private property (you wouldn't want to test the NO TRESPASSERS warning signs in that neck of the woods if know what I mean :ranting2: ).

2003 was the beginning of the drought I think that may have had something to do with the fish being harder to find as well.

There is a great camping ground, Bakers Flat I think, half way between Aruluen and Moruya that has some very nice looking stretches that would be best tackled in a small kayak. I've always wanted to spend a few days camping up there and giving the it a real bash.

That said I often get bass and EPs off the bank of my mum's place much further downstream in the saltwater tidal section and so don't see much point driving all the way up the river when I can just walk down from the house with a bass outfit in one hand and a beer in the other.

The banks are full of large granite boulders and dead trees that fall in and get stuck between them. The bass and bream love it.

No doubt about it that whole river system is a gem.