Whales Breaching Off The Royal National Park

james7

Between Marley and Garie, four whales put on an amazing show for us, as I mentioned in my fishing report.

I was very pleased that I had the "good camera" with the zoom lens. Eventhough, I still ended up with about a hundred photos of "water" and quite a few "splash" pictures. (My reflexes are not what they used to be! Also, thank heavens for Photoshop!)

post-4381-1223809334_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1223809403_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1223809476_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1223809672_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1223809770_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1223809835_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1223809896_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Great shots

Well done on being out there to record it

You gotta watch for the buggers.

On Saturday we were heading back from out front of Cronulla bacl to the bay when out of the blue one come up about 30 metres (or less) right in front of us. Thank god for a sharp eye of the skipper could have been very nasty for both parties

Wow Peter!! Amazing Shots!! You caught some top action there!!

A buddy was on their way from Forster to Blackhead travelling at about 20knots when a whale came up right in front of them ...... they tried to turn quickly, but still hit it & the boat nearly capsized .... catapulting the occupant not steering to the floor & busting lots of teeth, a shoulder & popping ribs, plus 20+ stitches to the jaw/lips.

They both had their life jackets on, but weren't tossed from the boat. The boat righted itself & didn't sustain any cracks or leaks, altho they put the bilge on, just in case! THe motor was still attached & amazingly, still worked. There were a few dents in the side of the boat, but they made it back to Forster OK under their own steam!

Moral of the story - be very careful around whales!!! Both men were experienced boaties & had not seen any whale activities before this one came up in front of them!

THey were 2 very lucky fishos!

Roberta

• 2 weeks later...