Hawkesbury Saturday

mitch

G'day Raiders,

Been a while between posts so thought it was about time I put one up. After doing a bit of work on the boat over the last month or so I decided to go hit my fave little piece in my backyard down the Hawkesbury.

Got on the water with thte missus at a gentalmanly hour of 0730 and with the water pretty high decided to hit some usually productive potoons. We both pulled a few fish but nothing overly exciting so decided to make the run down river to a few deeper rockwalls and point which finally started to produce some better results and we had a few crackers thrown in the well.

After this it was off to some old "racks" as the missus had never fished them before. First cast my atomic hardz met a big bream and then some sticks, it must have liked em because that was the last I saw of that lure. The missus ended up with aroud 10 flatties from the first set of racks. with the tide dropping we hit one last set of racks and i went on to lose 2 more Atomic Hardz and pulled a couple of fish. The missus got smoked by a bruiser.....ooooh yeah baby love those racks.

To finish off the day decided to do a bit of my fave deep water breaming. A heap of choppers, a couple of missed strikes and the missus comes up tight with her first jewie. Not a biggun but at 35cm she was stoked. It was gettin pretty hot so I decided to jump over for a quick dip. As I got back in the boat we had moved off the reef and I noticed a big bait school on the sounder in around 11m so I quickly rigged up a 1/6th and cast to the edge of it. Hop Hop Hit... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ I usually do all my deepwater with 2000+ size reels and I had the 1000 Stradic. I wasn't feeling too confident when I could see my line creeping towards the backing so I gave chase with the nearly flat leccie. After about 5-10 mins I started to get some line back and off it goes again ZZZZZZZZZZZ so I go tthe missus to start the main motor and follow it for a whil until it stopped. about another 7 mins and I seen some colour. oh yeah nice Jewie, a couple of last ditch lunges at the boat side before she cam aboard and a new PB jew for me

Caught it on Strudwick SofBodz 2-4kg, 1000 Stradic, 4lb Platypus super braid and 4lb Platypus Stealth leader.

Went home a happy angler at the end of the day

Cheers,

Mitch

Trying to upload pics but wono't let me. Would I be able to email them to someone?

Mitch

It sounds like you had a crackin' day on the water Mitch :yahoo:

The missus set a new PB and was introduced to the productive yet cutthroat world of the oyster leases :biggrin2: That jewie is a brilliant achievement on the very light gear you were using mate. All in all ... a very memorable day on the water :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

Thankd Guys,

Andrew, I love the Hardz, they remind me of some old australian made lures (not sure of the name. Great range of colours. the thing that stands out to my style of fishing is that they float very quickly back to the surface so great for thick weedbeds and sunken timber etc

Mitch

Jenno,

unfortunatly the flatties were a pesky bycatch yesterday. we were both using Strudwick SofBodz and Sofbodz Pro in the 2-4kg range in the racks with 2000 Certates and Quantum Energy reels. 6lb main line and 8 - 15lb stealth leader. lures we were using in the racks were Atomic Hards, Strike Pro Blades (lost a few to flatties), Wrigglers and unweighted stickbaits.

For the breamin i mainly fished Gulp 2" watermelon grubs and 3" gulp minnows. The missus was using mainly Gulp shrimps adn Wrigglers.

The missus picked her jew up on a Banana prawn shrimp and mine on a 3" swimming mullet

For the Hawks flatties I usually like to use a variety of Squidgy fish and Berkley saltwater range. infortunatly the racks are now rails and poles but the bream are still there, some racks are not near as productive as they used to be but there are still some that I find produce regular kilo plus blue noses

Mitch

Well done Mitch,

Great day for you and the boss. Only mistake was that you didn't let her reel in the big Jewie mate. That'll come back to bite you one day :wife:

Seriously good fish on light gear mate.

Cheers

Mitch

Well done Mitch!!

In the water about the same time as us but in different spots!!! Pretty sure we didn't spot you! Shame we didn't meet up - we got lots of smaller jewies tho Pete got a terrific 43.5cm bream & a nice 55cm flattie ......

Better luck next time 'for the big ones'' for Sails & Pete (Tide'n'knots) next time we hit the Hawkesbury!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Thanks everyone,

it was the cherry on top. I was surprised at how well conditioned it was. it had a pretty fat gut on it.

Iceman, I use the crank 38's

Roberta,

I ended up going a bit further down river than were you probably were, 43.5 nice bream

Driftfisher,

I usually electric up and down the rows casting as close as possible towards the edge of the rack and retrieve right along side it. Although I have caught quite a few good bream on off cast that have landed in no mans land also. On a high tide I will also fish stright over the tops.

Mitch

Good effort on the jewfish on the light gear Mitch. :thumbup: I used to do ok upriver when I fished leases and banks with the shortest run to good depth behind it instead of the fishing longer shallower runs towards structure, but the top of the tide bream result was usually better where the backdrop was shallower.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: