New Boat, New Rod, Pb!

g.t.

Greetings raiders.

Having just bought my long awaited boat on Wednesday, my mate (and half boat owner) and I were extremely excited to be taking it out on our first fishing trip. By the way, can I start off by saying how bloody wrapped I am to finally have my boat :yahoo: ! Having spent so long standing on the shore and wishing, it really feels like a dream come true to be able to head out in my own boat whenever I feel like it. You may not think she's the prettiest thing, but she looks pretty fantastic to me, and has performed beautifully so far.

post-4617-1226409279_thumb.jpg

We launched at Tunks at 0530, and made our way to the bait grounds, having a half-hearted flick for squid along the way. We drew a blank on the squid, but did manage plenty of yakkas fairly quickly.

With a tank full of bait, we headed to our most reliable spot in the hope of christening the new boat and also my newest rod (Daiwa Monster Mesh) with a couple of kingies. Unfortunately the kings wouldn't come out to play, and all we managed at this spot was a couple of whopper Sgt Bakers, one at 50ish cm, and the other at about 60ish cm.

Having persevered at this spot for a couple of hours we decided to make a move, and agreed on trolling some yakkas inside Nth Head. None of us had had much previous experience or success trolling livies, so we weren't expecting much. With 2 baits set out the back it wasn't long before my new rod was bucking over and the drag was singing my favorite song.

With a certain amount of disbelief, I scrambled for my rod, lifted it from the rod holder, and felt the weight of a hefty fish. Although probably not quite as strong as some of the kingies I've caught, the battle was hard fought and absolutely spectacular. By leaping a good metre out of the water on 2 separate occasions, my welcome adversary revealed itself to be a thumper sambo, which I could tell would be a PB for me even before I got it to the boat. After an exciting little battle my mate gladly managed to net this beautiful looking specimen.

post-4617-1226409338_thumb.jpg

post-4617-1226409386_thumb.jpg

The photo angle doesn't quite do it justice, particularly the thickness, but it measured 75cm and was a really fat, healthy, looking unit.

Anyway, this week at work has been hell- I can't wait to get back out there this weekend.

Thanks for reading :thumbup: ,

Geoff.

Edited by g.t.

Good on you, your boat looks like a serious fishing rig. :thumbup:

You can't half tell your pleased with your purchase. :yahoo:

I hope you get much more enjoyment out of her. :1fishing1:

Good to "pop" the boats "cherry" on your first trip - and with a PB - can't ask for much more than that. :1yikes:

Great report, look forward to more fishy reports in your rig.

Cheers

Mariner

post-4617-1226409279_thumb.jpg

Hi geoff, congratulations on finally getting a boat!!! who cares what it looks like mate as long as its reliable and gets you where the fish are! good salmon too! your phot shows perfectly the stabiliser bar on the back landing near the motor where I lost my big flattie last weekend. :(:05: .

Hope your new boat catches plenty!

Pete.

Hi Geoff,

Talk about 6 degrees...

Saw you at Tunks ramp on your return. We were in the Webster cat doing happy laps whilst waiting for cpt clueless to move his behemoth...we had already waited a good 10-15 before you arrived grrr. We fished the same areas, the kingis were around Sth Head. Landed 7 with two bustoffs, they were thick as thieves there on the incoming & followed our prop wash, very thoughtful!

I live in the same suburb

I have (& love) the same MM rod

& the same Plano box(es)

So you must be a top bloke :thumbup: lol.

I also noted your motor starts with ease & very clean exhaust, I think your rig is a ripper.

I'll be sure to give you a howdy when we see you again :biggrinthumb:

Jig.

PS you should submit your sambo as a bait record. It beats the current mark by 6cm :1yikes: