First Real Trip In The New Boat

GregL

Hey guys

Finally got the new boat out last Monday just before the Barra trip.

Conditions went to poo pretty quickly with a solid 20-25kn with a storm fast approching while I was spinning reds off Longy.

Perfect conditions to test the fish-a-bility of the Contender.

No problemo!

Cruised in at a solid 28kns, dry and no banging!

I LOVE THIS BOAT!

So here we are heading out with the Opera House on the bow.

post-3563-1226457607_thumb.jpg

Next 2 are as we past the bridge

post-3563-1226457625_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1226458297_thumb.jpg

Little shot of the wheel.

post-3563-1226458328_thumb.jpg

Here is the first fish on the boat, Little samson?

Here is a shots showing the true walk around of this boat plus check out thos conditions!

post-3563-1226458543_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1226458558_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1226457764_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1226458399_thumb.jpg

Edited by GregL

This one shows the padded combings, worth every cent when fishing in these sorts of conditions. No bruises on my legs!

post-3563-1226458719_thumb.jpg

This is heading back just eating it up!

post-3563-1226458760_thumb.jpg

Another week on and 2 more trips out in it, I'm starting to get confident in driving the boat. Totally differnt than a bass boat!

Using two thottles and especially being hand driven was the hardest thing to get use too.

Trimm tabs are sensational, it really makes a huge difference in crappy conditions.

Last Monday Pat and I had a spin down to Woolongong and back. Boat performed beautifully.

We went south and stayed near the coast as I wanted a long run but didn't want to risk and long way out run in a boat that I'm not use to.

On the way back we cruised back in 2 and a half hours from the front of the islands to hunters hill and not even half a tank of gas.

Yep I'm one happy camper!

Greg

This one shows the padded combings, worth every cent when fishing in these sorts of conditions. No bruises on my legs!

post-3563-1226458719_thumb.jpg

Greg

Fantastic photos Greg. :thumbup: This photo gives a great indication of just how much room there is to fish! :1yikes: Looking forward to many successful reports in the future mate

Cheers

Hodgey

Hi Greg, that is one great looking boat/engine combo you have and I hope you get many hours of enjoyment out of her. Yes twin rigs take some getting use to. Have you seen what she will do on one engine, I imagine seeing 6100 with both running, it should get up planing quite well on one engine and that is the most important thing with twin rigs, having the torque to safety get out of trouble.

Cheers,

Huey.

Yeah Hodgey, the room on the front of this boats amazing, easy 3 up spinning for reds or pelagics plus then another 2 in the back.....

Can't wait to mow down bill fish in it from the front. No backing down in this boat, stay nice and dry with easy tag shots.

Hi Scotty

The Branzino is matched with the Branzino Daybreaker. It's a 8ft 2 or6, cant remember. Perfect for throwing plastics for reds. The Saltiga reels are on saltiga SG game 68s. and the 63s. Longer is better for casting and short one for jigging.

Browney, Good luck with your quest, remember pause over thos rocks that sit out from the bank and they will come!

Huey, they need to make a rev equalizer, pick which motor you want to be the master and the other slave should automaticly equal out. Would take out a lot of playing around every time you play with the trottles.

Cheers

Greg

Hi Greg, yes mate I agree and that is coming, it is one cool feature of the Verado technology. I have driven some twin rigs with the I-6 Verado and with the DTS Merc have it has "shadow" technology that enables you to do this. I remember years ago before clean engine were coming out Merc also had a gauge that allowed you to sycronize twin rigs, so nothing new and I would of thought with the amount of twin, triple and even quad rigs in the States this would already be available.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Greg, that is one great looking boat/engine combo you have and I hope you get many hours of enjoyment out of her. Yes twin rigs take some getting use to. Have you seen what she will do on one engine, I imagine seeing 6100 with both running, it should get up planing quite well on one engine and that is the most important thing with twin rigs, having the torque to safety get out of trouble.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Greg

Glad you are getting out there and brilliant that it is dry.

Just a note to be cautious if you do some practise on one motor. We have done it and we trimmed the motor not running up but you may lose a lot of steering depending on how the steering and engine wells are. Fine when offshore to only have 10-15 deg lock to lock and not be dragging a leg in the water but in the harbour you need more steerage.

Trim and tilt syncronisation , rev syncronisation would be so much more convenient on twin rigs and surprised it isn't a standard accessory that can just be turned on. That could mean one gauge or display for everything and if it was fly by wire only one thin cable when rigging up which would save on rigging expense.

Pel

PS Greg you do have a old style rev syncroniser - It's called the rev limiter as it will keep them both bouncing off 6100rpm or if you want to be nice to the new motors you will hear the "harmony" when both motors are "ön song". They may not be at the exact same revs either as due to loading of the boat ,wind or swell one will always work just that little bit harder ( that's why some don't like syncronisers on fast revving motors) . You'll soon give up looking at the rev gauge and just listen as it is unmistakable.

Congratulations Greg !!

It looks brilliant with loads of space and plenty of rod holders

Maybe oneday when lotto / ozlotto / $2 lottery comes my way - until then I can still dream and lookout for your reports instead

Best of luck

tony

:dito::dito:

Greg, I'm not sure if I read in any of your posts the actual length of your new rig, or tonnage. :secret:

It sure is one serious combination indeed. :clapping:

You could just about host a " dance competition" on that front deck. :banana:

How's the name selection going, I guess that is one hard decision also.

Good luck, it's a bloody ripper rig. :biggrinthumb:

Cheers

Mariner

:dito::dito:

Greg, I'm not sure if I read in any of your posts the actual length of your new rig, or tonnage. :secret:

Cheers

Mariner

Hi Mariner

The model is a Contender 25 Open, which is 28ft over all.

3.1 ton

G

Edited by GregL