Who Are These People?

marcel haber

Hi fellow Raiders,

Just would like to know if any of you guys have fished the Hawkesbury,

Ive been there twice of late and when packing the boat onto the trailor and tying down for the trip home have been approached by men wanting to ask a few questions about our day out on the water.

These guys ask questions like

how often do you fish

in the last 12 months how many times have you been out.

did you catch anything today

where did you fish

where you targeting a particular species

do you fish any where else bar the hawkesbury and if yes how often.

how would you rate your day out from 1 to 10 etc.

Im abit hesitant to answer there questions and did not feel comfortable so did not give them too much info.

These guys wrote everything down and also asked for our postcodes.

Are these people collecting info for the greenies to save the sea kittens?

Just thought I would post this here to see what you guys think.

Twin1

Marcel

I hav been approached 3 times this month

My last time was at yowwie bay in the hacking the guy sits there all day waitting for boats to come in I said to the guy i have been question alot recently where are you's from he said he is doing research to see how our waters are going and if they are healthy or not they also said they were from the fisheries yet not checking my license and a guy next to me was fishing with no license and keeping undersized bream

A.dawg~~~

My last time was at yowwie bay in the hacking the guy sits there all day waitting for boats to come in I said to the guy i have been question alot recently where are you's from he said he is doing research to see how our waters are going and if they are healthy or not they also said they were from the fisheries yet not checking my license and a guy next to me was fishing with no license and keeping undersized bream

A.dawg~~~

i wouldnt talk about that on here

but yeah i guess its a good research program if they get more people doing it it would be interesting to know the results of it

Edited by hawksburydave

They are all Volunteers, not being paid and spending their own free time on trying to help the Rec fisherman as the Gov't will only listen to statics (when it suits them).

So be pleasant as they are on our side.

Don't think they can dob someone in if they have undersize fish ..... I'll try to find out a bit more if no one post today.

Anyone collecting information I would imagine should let you know who they are collecting it for. Anyone from the DPI or Fisheries is welcome to any information I have... one of the purposes to which it has been put in the past that I have seen is to calculate average and total fishing effort = amount of money spent on rec fishing = a very good argument to support rec fishing.

As opposed to some of the vested interest groups who want nothing more than to shut down the 'killing of sea kittens' :1badmood: DPI & fisheries are there to manage the resource and I believe that my best approach to protecting my fishing rights is to work with them, not against them (burying my head in the sand won't make the issues go away).

Just make sure who you are talking to before you give out info... and if they start asking where you keep the keys to the boat, be afraid :074:

Cheers, Slinky

A.dawg~~~

That guy at yowie bay is a good bloke.... i see him at the ramp every time i go out on the water on saturdays. He is a volunteer with the DPI and they are doing research on the health of the hacking. He is a good guy to talk to as he lets you know what has been caught that day and how the fishing has been going in general. I dont mind sharing information with him because at the end it is just going to make our sport even better and at the same time they share information with you on how the fishing situation.

hahaha..id probably go thru their data sheets and find some tips, spots as i dont know rats about Hawkesbury, yet! :biggrin2:

...so if they approach me, its a win-win situation for both parties! :biggrin2:

..or i might get in to trouble for not knowing much about the system yet fishing there... :biggrin2:

..for some reason im ver sarcastic today...ummmm..Friday.."BeerDAy!" :yahoo:

Same thing happened to me at parsley bay in dec. I was a bit defensive at first but soon warmed to him after a quick chat.

Said he once ran a charter in the area years ago and gave me heaps of advise as where and how to fish certain areas of the system. [most of which iv'e forgotten]

He also said he had copped heaps of abuse over the santuary thing and that he had nothing to do with the greenies but was collecting info on how to better manage the fishstocks for fishos.

*BTW ..he also said that the government can't impose any new fishing restrictions before current fishing licences expire.

But i wouldn't put money on that!!

Edited by hooked4life

.........*BTW ..he also said that the government can't impose any new fishing restrictions before current fishing licences expire.

Can't see any problems here ......Our licences expire on different dates and can be renued before they expire..... If that's right it's a top idea by a great government :yahoo: If it's not right they'll need eighty years to wake up :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

In years gone by you wouldnt have ever met a paranoid fisherman. Whats happened to the world.

Asking fishos how they went has to be the best way of collecting information about the actual state of our river systems. If it leads to another program like the Georges river Jewfish stocking then all the better. These people have been all around NSW for the last couple of years. Originally they had a pamphlet they handed that explained that the information was for the use of the DPI to help accertain the quality of fish stocks.

You dont have to give them any information at all if you so choose but if we all did that then the DPI would lose access to a hell of a lot of local knowledge.

Dave

Hey Marcel,

I was approached on wednesday as i was leaving Hacking. He said they are contracted by the fisheries to gather info for research purposes. He asked me those exact same questions, and measured my fish too... He didnt ask about my fishing licence though... nice enough fella

the bloke at Parsley bay is getting paid....

also the information collected is for the DPI and the statistics used will be presented under sustainability issues in the near future.

Very important information which i dont like sharing with them, i think it can only be negative

Hi jewfishnetter,

I wouldn't worry about angling restrictions in the hawkesbury any time soon...be hard for anyone to put blame on us whilst the trawlers are still running.

They have been contracted by the DPI to gather information from fisherpeople as they come back from their trips to gather information on the Hawkesbury system . To the best of my knowledge , this information is for the DPI only , not for Political parties.

Ross

I am one of those people,it is totally volunteer,non polituical invovles lots of different activites eg fishing with kids,teaching anyone who fishes rules and regulation,going to fiching clubs,educating about our waterways.I am an avid fisherman and anything that helps to educate and promote and preserve this great sport and pastime for future generations is worth supporting.I do have a uniform which consists of blue shirt and hat with dpi and fishcare logos,I also have identification badge.We are not empowered to check licences and fish sizes we come under the guide lines of the dpi and have to do a course and training before we can join fishcare.If you are unsure who you are talking to ask for id.Its all about education.

I was given a free catch and release kit containing hooks, a pair of fishing gloves, a pair of pliers, bragmat, etc. by the guy at Bayview boat ramp. Nothing was mentioned before i answered the questionaire so it was a pleasant surprise.

I was asked the same questions at Port Kembla a couple of months ago.

I think giving these people the required information can only help therefore I am pleased to give any information that is asked (except for the keys to the boat up they can have the cost bill).

I think it is safe to say , if some one approaches you after a days fishing , that they only have our sports best interests at heart !!

Having been asked several times about my activities on the Hawkesbury , I have only been too happy to respond.

The more positive info we can give them ( that is accurate ) the better off we will be !!

Ross