Two Men & A Beakie

Mik

Two Men & A Beakie

After what has seemed like an eternity since my last fishing jaunt I finally aligned everything for a weekend in Sydney.

I spoke to Splinters through the week & our plan was to hit the wide FADS & possibly push out toward the shelf for a crack at PóG's first Marlin. My anticipation was high and given that the last time Splinters was on the boat we scored a lovely Yellowfin Tuna the last few days before this weekend were slow & drawn out . Saturday was coming way too slow so I rang Splinters & told him I'd meet him at the ramp in Botany anytime after midnight, he says "cool, see ya at half past then!" Ya gotta love a fellow that shares your desire to get on the water, not matter what hour.

So we launch, fluff around for a few hours, drift & catch up then its nap time. We caught a few hours between us & at 6am we slipped through the heads & made our way to the first Botany FAD. The water was around 20 degree & conditions were pretty good. Expecting the forecast wind change we wanted to get in, fish & get back by a reasonable time. We trolled for awhile & listened to the Botany GFC comp. on the radio with interest as it sounded like a few beakies were being raised.

As the skeds came in we trolled to Botany Wide & danced around that for about ¾ hour. I thought I saw a fish off the long rigger but couldn't be certain. After awhile we decided to try our luck a bit further east & set sights for Browns with the intention of seeing if we could find a temp break. It was at the 95 fathom mark that we got a very short hit on the long corner but we're certain it was probably a stripped tuna as it didn't really sound too serious.

Finally we had a solid strike at 110 fathoms in 21.3 degree water on the long corner (stayed that temp for most of our trolling efforts) & we were faced with a little battling stripe that seemed to know I was a newbie to all this. As my third ever Marlin played with me for awhile I managed to gain some invaluable experience & knowledge from my old mate Splinters who did a fantastic job driving PóG around this fish & teaching me what he was doing at the same time. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of fighting a fish from a small boat after my first two Marlin last year were aboard Glenn Hunters boat Billfisher. There is a big difference in the style from large game boat to trailer boat & without the skill of Splinters I think we would have lost this fish at one point when he turned from out wide off our starboard to dive a bit deeper & try to slip under the boat. Quick thinking & even quicker action saw him realise that the skipper at least knew what he was doing & that was the turning point I think. He played around a bit more with only two real surface actions once at first hookup & one about ½ way through with a tiring effort to get above the waves & shake that damn hook.

Anyway, the end result was a great fish, great company with two being enough on this day & Some great happy snaps to prove to the wife I wasn't doing anything other than fishing at those ungodly hours.

The forecast southerly change hit right on cue as we were rigging down at the ramp car park Kyeema & I drove home exhausted, delighted & chomping at the bit to get PóG out again soon.

post-3284-1232802802_thumb.jpg

Hooked up!

post-3284-1232802818_thumb.jpg

What a rush!

post-3284-1232802835_thumb.jpg

Team effort aboard PóG

post-3284-1232802848_thumb.jpg

She swam away but I'll remember her.

Amazing adventure – Yes

Knackered fisho – Yes

Cheshire Grin – Yes

Addicted – Oh yeah baby!

Thanks Splinters mate you are a star for PóG's maiden beakie. Battle scarred & still grinning like an idiot.

Boofhead

Well done,

I heard all about it before you blokes got in, very boring when you're home with the kids. I believe the lure choice was outstanding. I hope you're still keen in a few weeks as Santa delivered a roll of Black Bart lures that I am dying to try.

Next on the list will be a good blue. Hold on to your're pants when you hook-up.

Cheers,

Rabs. (brother of Splinters)

Terrific read Mik, and some outstanding photos of a great little beakie. :yahoo::thumbup:

Sounds like you and Splinters have become a formidable team on the PóG ! The first of many beakies to land on the deck, I reckon. Look forward to more reports in the future mate!

Cheers

Hodgey

Thanks peoples, nice to share this moment with folk who understand the thrills & spills. It's VERY early Monday morning now & I'm still high from it all. Can't beleive such a beautiful creature was in my hands literally.

Speaking of which, I'm gonna take the time to put gloves on next time, man those beaks are like 40 grit sandpaper! still, it's all part of the story. I have raw hands, sunburn & a nice little battle scar upside Pog. I can see myself grinning alot when I look at the scrape in the paint. Funny but any other cause of a scratch & I'd be cranky on it. :1prop:

I count myself as very priveleged to have the opportunity to do something I discovered almost by accident and now feel is a HUGE part of me....... Fishing!!!

Well done on the marlin Mik is it :thumbup:, I don't like calling you boofhead. You're going from strength to strength and anyway there's a huge sculpture of the original boofhead character on a propery at Katoomba which according to Blaxland and Henry Lawson is somewhere between you and me and Sydney :D

Well done mate

Cheers

post-829-1232927557_thumb.jpg :D:lol:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Well done on the marlin Mik is it :thumbup: , I don't like calling you boofhead. You're going from strength to strength and anyway there's a huge sculpture of the original boofhead character on a propery at Katoomba which according to Blaxland and Henry Lawson is somewhere between you and me and Sydney :D

Well done mate

Cheers

post-829-1232927557_thumb.jpg :D:lol:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks Byron, I'll keep my eye out for that one next time I pass through there, which will probably be soon as the Beakie bug has been rekindled in muh thick skull!

My nikname wasn't from anything other than a reference to my (At the time of joining FR) very large head of hair! Its since been reduced to rubble so perhaps a nik change is in order.....maybe Deboofed!

Mik what a top fish it looks the goods :thumbup:

good to hear your getting the full effect of the

billfish virus :074:

Splinter looks a happy camper too, haha everybody

goes off when you hook up on a marlin

Battle scars are badges of honour and scratches

are just annoying

Chris