Photos And Video Of A 3m Bull Shark Caught In Sydney Harbour

cobba

I wondered how long it would be before someone had a serious go at the bitey around Cliefden. Trust Al to be the one. The pick of him totally loaded up on the 24kg outfit in the harbour is great.

Now ehere did I put that shark shield?

David

I wondered how long it would be before someone had a serious go at the bitey around Cliefden. Trust Al to be the one. The pick of him totally loaded up on the 24kg outfit in the harbour is great.

Now ehere did I put that shark shield?

David

LOL go Al!~!!

Yeah - if anyone has fished Clifton G in the last few weeks - they would have seen the bull shark...

Trust the media to go and try catch it...

When people go on safari in africa - they expect to see lion.... and when they do - they dont pull out a rifle and try and shoot it...

What the hell were the media up to? I say someone should have sent them in for a swim...

Just venting - but I dont think an all out shark hunt is the answer to the latest media feeding frenzy...

:ranting2:

Can of worms opened!

Chewy

Edited by Chewy

Don't wish to get into any catch and release debate or anything, but if there was ever a case for catching and killing a shark this is it.

A large , obviously resident, bull shark is not what you want in the Harbour.

I personally don't care because I don't swim in the harbour.

The angler released the shark but that fact seems to be lost in the frenzy.

What I don't think is good is the extra attention recreational angling will now get from the animal lovers.

It all seems to me that it was a media setup which will earn the angler some publicity but at what cost?

Edited by shaune

What a beautiful looking fish...

Not that that's what I'd be saying had it just taken my leg for lunch :1yikes:

I also agree with Shaune and Chewy though. It's pretty disgusting how the media has portrayed this. The last thing we want is irresponsible fisherman, and there are plenty of them out there, to get the idea that they are going to go out shark hunting. I realise the bull shark is a killer and a menace to humans but it still deserves as much respect as the great white shark.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

Edited by Bodyboarder

That would most certainly not be the only bitey in the harbour and there would probably be some that would bite Als fish in half. I think the fact that they stated that they didn't use burley was great ( no reason for anyone to get upset thinking fisho's were attracting more sharks ) also the qoute that the harbour is fishing better than ever and why is a good thing.

I have some really old fishing books with stories from 1920's-1940's about shark fishing in the hawkesbury and 1000lb tigers were not uncommon and whites over 2000 were encountered as well. Hopefully we can see some of these awesome fish back.

I think the report was pretty fair. It promoted catch and release, which is a good thing for that shark anyway. The Harbour looked great and maybe those kids on the front of that boat, and anyone else that looks at the link might consider that a swim in the Harbour might not be the best thing right now. It was only going to be a matter of time before someone got hurt and they did.

A media beat up? Sure maybe but, last weeks Bondi attack got international attention so maybe a report of this type, rather than indiscriminate hunting may save the species and shows that we can got on with things and not go out and huntem down to kill them.

Who watched Jaws last week? Still as good as the first time.

I think a picture may surface soon, of a great white off Sydney a few days ago. I got it as an Email from a mate who knows one of the bloke who was out there. I saw it and and yep, "You're gona need a bigger boat"

Cheers,

BP.

PS: Anyone here fishing an event in the Hawksbury next week? See you there.

Well guys we had better get used to this stuff and become as a group more media savvy.The greens for years have been saying we need to stop polluting the harbour and stop killing the fish.Well now that we have I would like to know what they think we should do now if more people get attacked.Do they want us to cull the sharks? Do they want all of us to stay out of their habitat, (just like marine parks)?

This may be a chance to turn the tables on the enviro-nazis, and gain some positive PR for our cause.

Interesting to see on the news footage this afternoon on nine network (with local guide stretched on his rails getting stuck into serious kings in background :074:) that someone caught and killed a 2-3m bull shark last night at Clifton and a swimmer hauled it's guts back to the sands this morning where a film crew was waiting.....

The media are having a ball with this.

Cheers,

Spizza

the last time I fished the harbour we were heading back up the parra river to go home and we spotted a charter boat anchored near goat island with very heavy game fishing tackle and a massive burley trail/slick out the back of the boat - no prizes for guessing what they were fishing for!

Interesting to see on the news footage this afternoon on nine network (with local guide stretched on his rails getting stuck into serious kings in background :074:) that someone caught and killed a 2-3m bull shark last night at Clifton and a swimmer hauled it's guts back to the sands this morning where a film crew was waiting.....

The media are having a ball with this.

Cheers,

Spizza

Here's the Chanel 9 video: http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-AU&...d4-075cafe3c4a6

Edited by cobba

Its good to see the Al McGlashan let the shark go, catch and release is definatley the go.

N.S.W should bring in the rules that QLD is on shark fishing you can only keep one shark and

it has to be under 1.5 meters, a shark any bigger is no good to eat any way because of the build

up of heavy metals in its system. I cant see the point of killing something if it gets wasted.