End Of A Good Reel

Guest bluecod

Guest bluecod

Well after 30 odd years of excellent service [20lb Spanish mack, 18 lb mack tuna, 3kg snapper and zillions other pan fish and salmon] the roller guide on my trusty old Shakespeare has finally seccumbed to wear - pity as the drag is still as smooth as silk!

I've been seriously looking as a Penn Spinfisher 6500SS to replace it [abt $200]. Anybody got other suggestions in that price range?

The old blue Shakespeares are legendary reels. I have the smaller version to yours that is still going strong and I reckon that I will wear out before it does. Have you inquired anywhere for spares, or are you just ready for a new reel? If they made them new today, I would buy another one!

I also have a Penn Spinfisher of a similar age that is also a great reel , but I have heard good things about the Penn that Allen Glover suggested too.

Guest hottuna

actually bashir the bg90 is heavier at 875g than the gs9 at 790g. There the same size.

gS9 have a horible clicking noise that can not be turned off. BG90 woble way too much when retreiving line. We sell 8500 spinfishers at 10:1 of the rest mentioned here.

Bluecod, i Personally went for a penn liveliner same as the penn slammer but with a baitrunner feature, both are made in the good old U.S of A. There smooth, balanced and strong as.

Dan

George,

I'd keep an eye out on eBay. I know Gregg recently managed to secure an old and rare reel there and you may be able to get one cheap for spares.

36902[/snapback]

I own and still use a 2400, 2410 and 2430. The 2430 is just about cactus though.

They were the pick of the crop in the late 70's early 80's.

From memory, the roller on the 2430 is still in reasonable nick as it was replaced at least once. But the rest of the reel is on the way out. I'd be happy to donate it to a new and loving home for spares, if you are at all interested Bluecod.

Cheers

Ken

Edited by cajun

Penn slammer 560. a few more$$$ than you state but its a classic in the making.

makes all the others look agricultural in comparison

36892[/snapback]

Hi Allen

I don't know much about these reels, but a sales rep at Freddies warned me against them, as he said that they were making them cheaply these days and that the spinfishers were a better option.

I ended up buying an okuma eclipz anyway, but thort I'd add my 2 cents here.

Cheers

Tim

actually bashir the bg90 is heavier at 875g than the gs9 at 790g. There the same size.

gS9 have a horible clicking noise that can not be turned off. BG90 woble way too much when retreiving line. We sell 8500 spinfishers at 10:1 of the rest mentioned here.

Bluecod, i  Personally went for a penn liveliner same as the penn slammer but with a baitrunner feature, both are made in the good old U.S of A. There smooth, balanced and strong as.

Dan

36910[/snapback]

I never reccomended the BG90??? I just said a BG. When I said the gs9 is huge it was because he asked about a 6500ss which is a fair bit smaller than a gs9. In comparison, the smaller graphite spinfisher's are crap compared to the daiwa BG's.

Tim, freddy's will try there very best to not sell Penn for some reason, they tend to make heaps of excuses why.

:A bullet proof Daiwa GS9 could be an worthy option   :biggrinthumb: 

Chris

36859[/snapback]

A GS9 is substantially bigger than a 2430. It is also not reel (sorry) fast.

ken

Edited by cajun

Tim, freddy's will try there very best to not sell Penn for some reason, they tend to make heaps of excuses why.

36938[/snapback]

That's a good point. I've noticed that they really want to sell you Okuma & Daiwa reels. I've experienced this a couple of times. I remember once I was asking them about lever drag reels. They showed me a couple of star drag daiwas and some okuma reels. The sales guy didn't want to show me the shimano TLDs. Go figure.

Blues were legend reels; like others they were the first "real" reels I ever got, a 240, 2410 and the 2430 lasted from late 70s into the late 80s. They were ahead of their time (metal body! line roller which rolled, and sweet sweet drag, better than some highly spruiked reels now). Okuma currently has the closest thing to a Shakespeare Blue series oil soaked felt (?) drag if that might help. Cheers Bombie

Guest hottuna

Yeah your right bashir. Alot bigger....

Dan

Give you all a rundown on returned (under warrenty reels) we get in store

BG`S and gs9s daiwas we rarely see back. if only for an anti reverse spring

Liveliners/ slammers rarely if ever

spinfishers we get a fair few back for anti reverse springs and clicker noise springs ohh and cracked spool knobs (penn have fixed this now with and inproved knob)

Okumas - well lets just say we got that may back its not funny! We`ve now stopped selling them as loyal customers just got sick and tired of faults, i have records of reels going back for warenty 5times!!!!!!!

Anything made in china should only be used as a part time (less than 12 times a year ) reel otherwise things go wrong.

Dan

Guest bluecod
From memory, the roller on the 2430 is still in reasonable nick as it was replaced at least once. But the rest of the reel is on the way out.  I'd be happy to donate it to a new and loving home for spares, if you are at all interested Bluecod.

Cheers

Ken

36912[/snapback]

Mate :thumbup::thumbup: That is an offer I am not going to pass up - anything is worth keeping the old girl humming sweetly [particularly under solid drag]. My particular reel was in the first batch brought into Aus. and has a lot of good memories.

I'll send you a PM later :biggrin2:

Edited by bluecod

Guest Jocool

Seeing the picture you put up reminded me. Thats the same reel I had. It was the first reel I ever bought in the early 80's. Mated it to a Butterworth 2 piece rod and I loved it! My uncle lost it overboard about 1990. Nearly killed him! :thumbdown::ranting2:

Mate  :thumbup:  :thumbup: That is an offer I am not going to pass up - anything is worth keeping the old girl humming sweetly [particularly under solid drag]. My particular reel was in the first batch brought into Aus. and has a lot of good memories.

I'll send you a PM later  :biggrin2:

36986[/snapback]

Done Deal. :thumbup:

Look forward to the PM.

Ken

Yes had alot of probloms with the okumas since the day i bought them. Everything goes wrong its not funny. Like the shaft on an eb80 was bent and was unused. Took it back and went to use it the baitrunner no longer worked. Got an efs 20 for breamin and the grease or something they had used acted like a super glue and could not wind the handle at all. Took it apart myself and cleaned it up and a new lube and grease and its an awesome little reel.

Edited by tyrone07

Seeing the picture you put up reminded me. Thats the same reel I had. It was the first reel I ever bought in the early 80's. Mated it to a Butterworth 2 piece rod and I loved it! My uncle lost it overboard about 1990. Nearly killed him! :thumbdown:  :ranting2:

37011[/snapback]

My first serious beach outfit was similar, a 2450 (Which still works) and a 2 piece butterworth rod with wire runners. Both state of the art in the early 80's :thumbup: