Tuna! ... Dollies! ... Tailor! Non Stop Action!

james7

LOL - I was driving along the beach at Cronulla and I saw that bait school about 2-3km off the coast late in the afternoon. The gulls were going crazy. Was half thinking about running home to launch the boat.

I'm glad someone got out there in the action. There was no boats nearby when I saw the gulls.

Was this late Saturday?

Hi wttmrwolf. That's right. It was the last hour or so before sunset. We left just after dark. I'd never seen such a large concentration of bait schools in Bate Bay. Some schools were 50m across and there were several schools working. They were small pilchards judging by what the tailor were regurgitating. (see picture below)

post-4381-1242086964_thumb.jpg

I am surprised we were the only boat chasing them. There was another boat in the area, but they were anchored or drifting. It was the same when we were getting the stripies and dollies earlier in the day. We saw a heap of boats around the Jibbon bommie area. They must have wondered why we continually trolled the same small area for about 4 hours! None of them joined us and plenty of boats passed us by. Go figure?!?

Im just wondering, are stripies any good to eat at all? If you were to bleed and ice them down etc.

Hi Dan. I've tried stripies twice and believe they are in the same class for eating as quality fish like Sgt Baker, Aussie salmon and Wirrah. :074: Seriously, I have heard that if bleed and iced down they are okay sashimi style.

Cheers

Peter

well dont fellas, awesome day.

Im just wondering, are stripies any good to eat at all? If you were to bleed and ice them down etc.

I reckon they are great on the tooth.

cut into thick slabs / fillets roll in cajun spice on all sides of slab, sear edges of slab so that just the edge is cooked and the inside is raw. Then slice into thin sashimi style slices.

Couldn't happen to a nicer pair of blokes! Well done fellas .... what a crackin' session. Top photos, terrific report, and the usual high quality photos. Good stuff Peter and Syd :thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

Couldnt agree more Ian, that was a terrific session Peter and makes you and Pic-A-Box-Syd quite a force to contend with in the Hacking area :thumbup:

Cheers mate and well done!

jewgaffer :1fishing1: