What Winter Species Do You Target?

diver1

i love me drummer fishing off the rocks in winter, but im wondering about the lakes n estuarys :1prop: . people say that the flattys are a summer fish but last winter in lake macquarie i got more flathead than i did all summer? also do the bream come on thick in winter?

i love me drummer fishing off the rocks in winter, but im wondering about the lakes n estuarys :1prop: . people say that the flattys are a summer fish but last winter in lake macquarie i got more flathead than i did all summer? also do the bream come on thick in winter?

Funny you mention that, I was also under the impression Flatties were a summer species, but I was reading an article the other day that said they were a winter species. I only seem to ever catch Bream in the winter.

Winter = flatties .... they're just a little sleepy ;)

When the entrance is open, the big sea-running breambos come in, and that is FUN!

Sambos off the beach on metal slices for a bit of variety

Winter time is traditionally BIG Murray Cod weather. Numbers are usually down ... but the quality is bonza!

Hodgey

This'll be my first winter that I've been consistently fishing. Any tips?

I'll probably stick with the staple bream in my estuary using unweighted prawns both in rod holders sitting back with a beer. I like doing it this way because if I get a fish it's a bonus, but if I don't then I still got to enjoy some beer

for me its blackies mainly with the odd winter hoody king hunt ;) ..

and at least 1 or 2 tuna trips :thumbup: ..

gotta love this time of year :yahoo::yahoo: ..

except the cold that is :frozen::frozen: ..

may even have a hairy bash this year but think were in for a bloody cold winter this year....

cheers....steve.....

Why is it that a lot of people think blackies are a winter fish they are an all year any weather fish! If its a winter fish big blue nose whiting off the beaches and john dory! Funnily for the first time in 30 years i found truly seasonal blackies in New Zealand we only seem to get them from October till March with the occasional winter fish up the far north! Here in New Zealand for me its the steelhead rainbow runs up the rivers in Taupo!

May, June & July are when you get the really big jew off the beaches.

You don't get as many hits because of the lack of rays, sharks, small jew & pickers but when you get a run it's usually from a good fish.

When you find the right beach it is often warmer on the sand than inland as well. Many nights we would fish with a light sou'wester over the shoulder on sand that had been in the sun all day & a water temp of 18-20C.

Clear skies, shooting stars, not too cold & a chance at a big jew. It's as good as it gets! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Grant.