Parramatta River Lb

SimJ

Had some time before uni today so went and bought a tiny 4ft 6 bait catching combo. I didnt plan on it but couldnt help having a quick test run at a wharf. Only had 2 or so hours before uni so just bought 5 presalted pillies from the tackle shop.

I normally take 3 or 4 rods when I fish but with a time limit I just took the small new one and a 6ft Penn combo. Burleyed up and got yakkas straight away :thumbup: the new rod was awesome for bait fishing.

I sent out a livie on the 6ft and kept getting yakkas great fun on the tiny rod with 4lb mono. Satisfied that my new rod was worth the $ I was about to pack up, when a friendly older lady(i think maybe greek) turned up and offered to "show" me how to catch yakkas. I already had 20 or so and didnt need anymore but I set her up with a handline as she seemed pretty keen. Needless to say she actually did get the next one before me :1prop: .

As the nice lady is leaving I see what looks like a Kingy come to the surface and eat some of the pilchard I was burleying. I quickly grab my 6ft with the livie on it and reel it in, then drop it near where the kingy came from. He comes back straight away and makes some half hearted attempts to eat the yakka(which is swimming on its side by this time half dead). He seemed to lose interest and went back out of sight :mad3: I decided to very quickly change to a new 'fresh' yakka and as soon as it hits the water and starts running... SMASH... ZZZZZZZZZZ. :yahoo: but I couldnt get too excited as I had recently lost 2 kings at a wharf because of structure. No playing around with him this time tighten the drag the most i can without the line breaking. after about 3 tense minutes of him zooming under pylons and me gently easing him back out, I finally manage to land my first LB Kingy :biggrin2: .

Not anything special as he was only 66cm but Im still pretty stoked because i was starting to think id missed my chance for a king this yr and it was a lot harder getting him in than others i have caught by boat.

post-9568-1243848586_thumb.jpg

post-9568-1243848726_thumb.jpg

Shocking pic i know but it was hard to take it by myself holding the kingy :1prop: .

Cheers,

Simmo

Congrats on the capture! Sounds like an awesome little session there... before uni as well! how do u find the time?!

Would have thought that the kings would be gone by now seeing that its winter. Gives me some hope of catching one.

By the way, interested in what time it was when you caught the kingy and what strength line did you use on that 6ft penn combo?

Thanks Kingslayer they certainly are a challenge!

Monch, it was just before hightide, rig was 20lb mono(the cheapo 99c type) smallish bean sinker with about 50cm of 30lb trace.

Ray, as ur the master of photos Im glad to hear u approve :1prop:

Cheers,

Simmo