Old Man's Hat & Beyond

tan the fisherman

Gday Raiders,

Well Kev and I went out again this morning from Rose Bay armed with one fresh squid, a handful of pillies and some salted bonito from our last venture.

I wanted to try Clifton Gardens for some squid. We wnt over for an hour however we had no luck.

We fart arsed around here and there and then we hit North Head for nothing.

Kev puts on a 16-18cm Halco lure and brings up a leatherjacket :wacko: about 25 cms.

I whack on a $3.00 Berkley lure about 5cms long and we move to South Head to troll out front.

Within 10 mins my okuma starts singing :thumbup:. I grab it and bring up a nice 60cm bonnie.

Gut and esky for him. The lure has now paid for itself and then some!

I change lures to the trusty Rapala X-Rap SXR8 in Blue Sardine and we made another pass.

Again the reel starts singing. I hand the rod to Kev and take over at the wheel. Another bonnie in the bag - this one a little bigger at 65cm.

Again the reel sings as we make another pass however we lose this one (another bonnie) at the boat.

Another pass - this time I get a healthy 70cm salmon that pulled so hard that I almost got spooled.

Gut and esky for him too.

At Middle Head the bite went cold real fast and we couldnt work out why - Then we saw a large fin followed by another one. As it was only for a split second we thought they were sharks - Kev pulled his dangling foot out of the water. They were dolphins cruising around and only about 3m from our boat. We followed them for about 10mins then carried on fishing.

A few more passes for no takers and we headed inside. A quick trip to The Spit and Bantry Bay for nothing.

Over to Watson's Bay for a quick beer and Kevin gets a smile from quite a beautiful lady dining on the wharf. I drag him back to the boat and we have a beer each drifting in 1.5m of water out the front of the bay with Kev trying to garner the lady's attention. :1prop:

Back to Sow & Pigs for 3 trevally, what looked to be two undersized Surgeon's (but without the dark spots along the tail???) and an undersized snapper (Sammy - we always catch him!!)

I was using 4lb line for these ones and they all fought hard even though they were small.

We didnt get alot but what we got was good enough for us. :yahoo::yahoo:

1 Salmon and 1 Bonnie on the XRAP and 1 bonnie on the Berkley lure

Trevally was on tiny amounts of the fresh squid.

It was a great day and water was around 21 deg.

Thanks again Kev!!

post-6058-1245743902_thumb.jpg

Edited by tan the fisherman

congrats on the bonnie's nothing compare's to the xrap everytime i use them im certain 2 catch bonnies at the least

ive proved to my mates xrap over halco's everytime i go out mine goes off atleast 3 times more then there halco's hehe!! :tease:

Well done Kev, you did better than me.

I was out today on the Kayak and trolled between the Q station and Nth head a few times for zilch.

Caught two undersize trevally and a sargent baker :mad3: on some salted Bonny.

Put in a lot of effort for nothing.

Maybe next time.

Wobbler

Did you EAT that salmon ??? :wacko: our cat wont even touch em!

nah mate - salmon will be bait or burley!

Nice one Tan. Did that 3 buck lure go down to the bonnie you lost? I really think bonito give a good account of themselves for their weight.

no mate - saved the $3 lure - bonnie lost on the Halco

Great report mate made me think I was there in the thick of the action,

some nice fish and a lunchtime beer and a flirt..

What a day..

Cheers...

We wish you were there Ray!

PS: the flirt was Kev's PB of the day:thumbup:

Well done Kev, you did better than me.

I was out today on the Kayak and trolled between the Q station and Nth head a few times for zilch.

Caught two undersize trevally and a sargent baker :mad3: on some salted Bonny.

Put in a lot of effort for nothing.

Maybe next time.

Wobbler

Wobbler - we saw you out there - the guys off Old Man's Hat almost cast into your kayak a few times!!

We'll say gday next time mate - and maybe give you a tow if you want a break!

sounds like you had some fun no squid running

but you caught a few keepers well done :biggrin2:

No squid today Kenny - great to meet you last week to!

congrats on the bonnie's nothing compare's to the xrap everytime i use them im certain 2 catch bonnies at the least

ive proved to my mates xrap over halco's everytime i go out mine goes off atleast 3 times more then there halco's hehe!! :tease:

XRAPS win everytime mate!!

Edited by tan the fisherman

I forgot to mention:

At Middle Head the bite went cold real fast and we couldnt work out why - Then we saw a large fin followed by another one. As it was only for a split second we thought they were sharks - Kev pulled his dangling foot out of the water. They were dolphins cruising around and only about 3m from our boat. We followed them for about 10mins then carried on fishing.

G'Day Tan the Fisherman,

Yes i did get a little close to the rock hoppers, everthing is much harder fishing from the

Yak and you tend to get distracted.

Do say hello next time a friendly face is always welcome, especially if those fins ( above ) are attached

to a bull shark I need a lift/rescue.

As for the tow, if I started heading to NZ when westerly springs up I might take you up on it.

Rgds,

Wobbler

Edited by Wobbler

G'Day Tan the Fisherman,

Yes i did get a little close to the rock hoppers, everthing is much harder fishing from the

Yak and you tend to get distracted.

Do say hello next time a friendly face is always welcome, especially if those fins ( above ) are attached

to a bull shark I need a lift/rescue.

As for the tow, if I started heading to NZ when westerly springs up I might take you up on it.

Rgds,

Wobbler

We saw you - were you in a yellow kayak, nice rig too! - we were in the blue halfcabin that came over for a few minutes. Saw a rock hopper drop a cast within 2 m of you!

Will come over if we see you next time!