Jb Squid

mako1

I was planning to go to La Perouse yesterday for a Squid session but made a last mintue decision to head to JB.

Arrived at Callala Bay at 8am and I quickly had the Kayak out on the water.

Fished the weed beds close to the ramp. The first half hour was a bit slow but they soon came on the bite.

Got to try out the new live well and soon had it filled. It worked great and kept the squid alive the whole trip.

post-2229-1248092896_thumb.jpg

Ended up with my bag limit in a couple of hours. Dropped a few bigger ones.

Had some dolphins play around the kayak and it was great to watch them in the clear water but I wasn't quick enough with the camera to get a photo.

Size 2 and 2.5 sqiud jigs wroked the best in pink,brown and orange.

post-2229-1248092876_thumb.jpg

Dude, the actual bag limit for Booderee National Park (JB) is 10 per person per day.

They have their own rules!

The fines are also pretty steep there, your lucky the authorities didn't catch you out as they are pretty prolific in JB.

P

popeyepete Posted Yesterday, 04:15 PM

Dude, the actual bag limit for Booderee National Park (JB) is 10 per person per day.

FYI, Callala Bay is not part of Booderee NP.. .

http://www.environment.gov.au/parks/booderee/visitor-information/pubs/walking.pdf

JG

FYI, Callala Bay is not part of Booderee NP.. .

http://www.environment.gov.au/parks/booderee/visitor-information/pubs/walking.pdf

JG

Poseidon is correct. Booderee NP is only situated in the SE corner of the bay at Murrays beach, which has a bag limit of 10, the rest of the bay is NSW bag limit.

Top catch Mako.

Cheers Silvo - Bentstik

Edited by Bentstik

Thanks for the replies.

The squid were beautiful.

I'm going to get a few feeds from this catch and some nice fresh heads for snapper baits.

Great Haul :yahoo:

Mate are they the kelp beds literally just off the boat ramp and over to the right towards the rocks?

I launched from the ramp and then fished the weed beds about 100m from the last of the moored boats, more towards the beach side. I didn't try near the rocks but I'm sure they should produce too.

I found that the weed beds in 4-6m fished the best.

The fines are also pretty steep there, your lucky the authorities didn't catch you out as they are pretty prolific in JB.

P

Thanks for the warning.

I checked before I went as I know they are always updating the rules in the marine parks.

Most of JB is part of the Jervis Bay marine park and the normal fisheries bag and size limits apply in the

habitat protection zone and general use zone.

The marine part of Booderee national park is in the southern part of JB between Bowen Island and HMAS Creswell.

Bloody hell, i was told the whole bay was protected by one of the bastards who fined me for having 15 of the tasty buggers in the bag.

Now i know, i'll lauch from the other end!

I recal my statement to you earlier - Good catch.

P