What Reel Would You Choose

slayer666

Daiwa vs Shimano  

108 members have voted

1. 1. What reel do you prefer?

• Daiwa
    • Shimano
    • Other

Both manufacturers have their strengths. For example, you don't see many Gameboats using Daiwa reels.

On the other hand, most bream fisho's use Daiwa, most jew fisho's use Shimano, most beach fisho's use Alvey.....etc

Personally use several brands and have a preference for Shimano when it comes to pricing of parts and after sales service :thumbup: .

Cheers

Red

Edited by Red

In my opinion, if you want a rugged 4WD that you will not pamper much in way of maintenance and servicing I would go with Daiwa, but if you are after a Ferrari that needs garaging, washing and servicing I would go with Shimano. (This especially refers to Saltiga vs Stella range)

Doesn't seem to matter what I but but everything ends up seizing up.

Local tackle shop suggested taking them in a hot shower to give them a clean.

I said YOUR JOKING!

Haha, I was my outboard from my tender in the shower and my Marlin gear, works a treat, all my gear looks the same as when i bought it. Give it a go, it works.

Cheers, Tobe

Doesn't seem to matter what I but but everything ends up seizing up.

Local tackle shop suggested taking them in a hot shower to give them a clean.

I said YOUR JOKING!

agree with that too

i use many but for my bream and bass and even snapper gear i'm now running abu soron's

game gear is still a mix of shimano and penns

After spending what adds up to quite alot of money on rods and reels, the conclusion i have arrived to is:

Daiwa does it for me baby!! They look great, feel great and perform great...

Not to mention the spool capacities in relation to the size of the reel compared to Shimano are bigger.

Cheers.

This topic could be compared to the good old holden vs ford debate. You will never have an outright winner. My personal preferences both happen to be made in the USA. Spin reels I love Browning reels (Browning as in the firearms company) and for overheads I love avets. I must say but I have been temped in buying a saltiga spinning reel due to the toughness of the reel. I bet 10yrs ago no one would have thought 30kg drag out of a spinning reel. I will never buy a shimano reel due to one of my mates loving them and we are pretty competitive, and I love to pay him out, it would be blasphemy for me to use one let alone own one!

• 2 weeks later...

My shimano saros is extremely smooth and the line lay is perfect. My Okuma V-Systems on the other hand are so much more robust and are very tough reels with amazingly strong drags. Very solid reels but they do cost twice as much.

Small Penn reels have been crap to me.

Shimano Baitrunners are indestructible. Use my 4500 for livebaiting and it has never failed me. Come to think of it, the reel has performed flawlessly. Never had a need to look at another wannabe baitrunner style reel to complement it - will definitely be getting another Shimano baitrunner in the future when the need arises.

Just got a Daiwa Emcast recently and will see how it stacks up with the other reels. It's running 40lb braid on a 15kg stick.

I have no preference for one brand over another. Am happy to test out all brands and see the merits of each.

This is a tough question and has always come up in the past, I own plenty of Daiwa and Shimano gear, the best way to go about it is to have a play at the reel you intend buy and pick the one you like, always buy the best you can so that later on your not upgrading all the time. For the quality products I have to say you won't be disappointed from either camp.

Cheers,

Sz1

I love my Okuma Beach Spinning Reel, its got awesome drag and requires bugger all maintenance.

Other favourites are my Shakespeare Agility 2000 and 3000 series spinning reels and my all time favourite Alvey C650 and my trusty old ABU Garcia 7000C3 (swedish one not the jap version).

I always take my shakespeare reels with Penn integrated tips on every outing, along with my Okuma and 13' Shimano Beastmater 6-8kg beach rod- I even use this off the wharves chasing big flatties and jewies, makes 3 of the best outfits I ever used.