Sydney Harbour (last Weekend Of November)

fishmaniac

The water is warming up and the fishing is certainly starting to fire up.

Got the girlfriend and younger brother out over the weekend to suss out some summer pelagics. After landing the big king two weeks ago, i was keen to get my younger brother and girlfriend into their first kingfish of the season.

All went to plan and my girlfriend managed a nice 60cm kingy on fresh calamari. Unfortunately we lost the downrigger bomb in the process (and so spent sunday afternoon melting down some lead to make a new one). After a few quick snaps the fish was quickly released to fight another day. We managed another rat and then had to call it a day due to other committments.

post-6215-1259663963_thumb.jpg

Took my younger brother out on saturday in the harbour. We left late (10:30) as he had sport in the morning. We stayed inside the harbour as by this stage the wind had picked up and had a ball catching heaps of fish. We landed flathead, bream, trevally, snapper, salmon and my brother's first kingy for the season. Another rat which he quickly released without a pic as i was also onto a solid trevally at the time. The final tally for the day was:

- 22 legal bream

- 1 legal flattie (1 throw back)

- 8 legal trevally

- 2 salmon

- 1 kingy

- 7 throwback snapper

All fish were released except one flathead much to the dismay of boats nearby. We just love the sport of catching fish and seeing these beautiful creatures go free to get even bigger!!!

post-6215-1259663975_thumb.jpg

post-6215-1259663985_thumb.jpg

post-6215-1259664005_thumb.jpg

post-6215-1259664015_thumb.jpg

On the way home my brother called some splashes so i tossed out a plastic stick bait. Never caught anything on these things and was not expecting anything. But a nice salmon smashed it. Great fight, a few pics and then off he went. Great way to end the day!!

Sounds like a great days fishing.

too bad about the bomb, do you have a bomb cast mould.

Yea, i made it out of concrete. I line with al-foil and then pour the molten lead in (which i melt down in an old cast iron pot). Wait 5 mins and tip it out. Then i touch up the edges with a file.

Presto, Downrigger bomb. Certainly beats paying close to 50 bucks for a chunk of lead.

The water is warming up and the fishing is certainly starting to fire up.

Got the girlfriend and younger brother out over the weekend to suss out some summer pelagics. After landing the big king two weeks ago, i was keen to get my younger brother and girlfriend into their first kingfish of the season.

All went to plan and my girlfriend managed a nice 60cm kingy on fresh calamari. Unfortunately we lost the downrigger bomb in the process (and so spent sunday afternoon melting down some lead to make a new one). After a few quick snaps the fish was quickly released to fight another day. We managed another rat and then had to call it a day due to other committments.

post-6215-1259663963_thumb.jpg

Took my younger brother out on saturday in the harbour. We left late (10:30) as he had sport in the morning. We stayed inside the harbour as by this stage the wind had picked up and had a ball catching heaps of fish. We landed flathead, bream, trevally, snapper, salmon and my brother's first kingy for the season. Another rat which he quickly released without a pic as i was also onto a solid trevally at the time. The final tally for the day was:

- 22 legal bream

- 1 legal flattie (1 throw back)

- 8 legal trevally

- 2 salmon

- 1 kingy

- 7 throwback snapper

All fish were released except one flathead much to the dismay of boats nearby. We just love the sport of catching fish and seeing these beautiful creatures go free to get even bigger!!!

post-6215-1259663975_thumb.jpg

post-6215-1259663985_thumb.jpg

post-6215-1259664005_thumb.jpg

post-6215-1259664015_thumb.jpg

On the way home my brother called some splashes so i tossed out a plastic stick bait. Never caught anything on these things and was not expecting anything. But a nice salmon smashed it. Great fight, a few pics and then off he went. Great way to end the day!!

g'day. just reading your post and recognised you - you were the bloke that I gave the yakkas to on sunday morning. did you turn them into kingfish?

jhs,

Thanks for the yakkas. I worked over a few of the markers and caught a decent flathead which snaffled the live yakka. The remaining 4 were released at the end of the day.

seriola lalandi,

The trevally had a deformed mouth. But he was certainly a fit and healthy fish.