Sydney Harbour Kings And Snapper 15/12/09

doug43

Hi All,

Thought i'd share some pictures from this mornings trip onto the Harbour with my Boss ( gotta love having a Boss who loves his fishing ).

With all the Kingfish lurking around the harbour at the moment i thought it'd be worth a shot at them with some livies. With some advice from Raiders ( Thanks Josh88 The tips worked a treat ) We went to gather some early morning yakkas. The baits came in easily and as we were catching them we noticed some kings appearing under the yakkas from time to time waiting for an opportunity i spose.

Seeing this we send out an unweighted yakka set on a light drag and continued to gather bait. 2 mins later and the bait is off and running. The boss sets the hooks and is into a nice fish. After a great fight we net a beauty and swing him on board. It's not until we turn him over we realise what a tough bugger he really is. Hanging out of his side is a broken off spear prong thats been there for so long it has barnicles growing off it! Incredible!

That's a first for me and i kinda hope it's the last.... Tough fish.

post-7411-1260871600_thumb.jpg

post-7411-1260871635_thumb.jpg

We couldn't find decent schools of fish offshore after this so no more kings were boated still a great morning on the Harbour.

As a footnote i thought i'd add a picture of a nice snapper i caught just of Vaucluse last wed afternoon.Sounded up a nice school of fish and fished plastics through them. Most fish were small pinkies but in going to a lighter leader i managed to fool this nice one. This was the first legal snapper i've ever caught in the harbour and i was stoked. It was a real handfull on 6lb line as well.

post-7411-1260871715_thumb.jpg

You have to love all this action that comes with summer.

Cheers.

Doug.

Nice fish Doug!

Amazing that he survived with that Spear in him!! How big was it?

I have seen Kings smashing the Yakkas as i have been catching them and caught some last year with the same method as yourself.

I have a reliable source i.e. one who has no reason to bullsh#t - who tells me that he had a yakka stolen off his bait jig the other day. He put the fish at about 120cm and about 20-25cm across the top of the head! In my books that would be well in excess of a 20kg fish. Tough to land when you're gathering bait in water that is normally 10 or less metres deep!

There are some bing lunkers in the harbour at the moment!!

I'm looking forward to holding on to one instead of getting busted off :1badmood:

Once again - good catch.

Another great report, Doug. I don't suppose your boss needs some more employees, does he? :biggrin2:

That's an amazing photo of the kingy :1yikes: How the hell the poor bugger has survived with that thing embedded in it is a mystery. Very nice snapper too, mate. Is that a hollowbelly plastic?

Cheers

Hodgey

Great report Doug!

Will try putting a livie out next time we gather bait.

It is amazing the fish survived with that spear on the side. I think somehow the spear missed all the important organs. Poor king, I felt uneasy first seeing the photo. Did you end his misery or let him go?

Edited by QVCiticaDSV

Looks like you had a good day out Doug, thats a good king how long was he?

Cheers

Josh

Hey Josh,

Measured it on an 80cm sticker and he was about 150mm past the end of that. But as you can see in the photo he had lost a bit of condition.

Thanks for the tips the other day they were much appreciated.

Cheers. Doug.

Another great report, Doug. I don't suppose your boss needs some more employees, does he? :biggrin2:

That's an amazing photo of the kingy :1yikes: How the hell the poor bugger has survived with that thing embedded in it is a mystery. Very nice snapper too, mate. Is that a hollowbelly plastic?

Cheers

Hodgey

Hey Hodgey,

Anyone who catches the amount of nice flatties you get would be welcome in our company!

That Lure is an imitation of the berkley hollowbelly. I can't remember the brand I bought them up at lake macquarie. They are a bit cheaper but are a little more rigid... they've accounted for some nice flathead however.

Interestingly i was fishing over those snapper with 12lb leader and was only catching small models. After 1/2 an hour i changed to 6lb and hooked the pictured fish straight away. A few casts later with the 6lb i was dusted by another decent fish.