2nd Kingy This Time Legal!

Brooker435

Raiders,

Got a call from my mate wanting to have another crack at the kingies so I took him up on it...

I managed to jig a couple of Squid last night so I brought them along and arrived at around 1:30.

Quickly set up the rod and away it went....

I was constantly getting tap after tap till about 2:15 approx then Whammo!!!!! I grabbed the rod struck it hard then it went loose and I tried to take the slack away and realized the King had charged towards me came right up to the pier and straight down so I gave it everything I had as I had the feeling that It was about to go for a run and locked up the drag as the line started to peel!!!!! I could only just manage to hold it close to the pier then luckily for me a helpful by-stander jumped down closer to the water and gaffed it through the lip and lifted it onto the pier do not think I could have gaffed it was way too full of adrenalin and If this thing went for the run I would have had some work on my hands!!!!!

It measured 67 but id say 66 as I was shaking when I measured it!!!!!!!

Cant wait to taste it have a fillet cooking in the oven now and will be dropping off the other half to my mum & dad....

Regards,

Nathan

post-9366-1261377859_thumb.jpg

allright, now your in the kingie club, who is the good looking chap in the photo.

Yeah That bloke is really something isnt he???? hehehehe

I always post my catches weather they are legal sized or not just to keep the raiders in the loop...

Honestly did not think it was going to happen this quickly will have to try and better my pb jew of 52cms.

Regards,

Nathan

Congrats Nathan. Im real happy for you.

Just a tip on gaffing though. I don't recommending gaffing just legal kingies. If they end up being undersized, they arent going to be too healthy when you release them.

Regardless, good onya for your efforts.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by spongy

Raiders,

Got a call from my mate wanting to have another crack at the kingies so I took him up on it...

I managed to jig a couple of Squid last night so I brought them along and arrived at around 1:30.

Quickly set up the rod and away it went....

I was constantly getting tap after tap till about 2:15 approx then Whammo!!!!! I grabbed the rod struck it hard then it went loose and I tried to take the slack away and realized the King had charged towards me came right up to the pier and straight down so I gave it everything I had as I had the feeling that It was about to go for a run and locked up the drag as the line started to peel!!!!! I could only just manage to hold it close to the pier then luckily for me a helpful by-stander jumped down closer to the water and gaffed it through the lip and lifted it onto the pier do not think I could have gaffed it was way too full of adrenalin and If this thing went for the run I would have had some work on my hands!!!!!

It measured 67 but id say 66 as I was shaking when I measured it!!!!!!!

Cant wait to taste it have a fillet cooking in the oven now and will be dropping off the other half to my mum & dad....

Regards,

Well done - congrats. I am still waiting for my first LB kingie - so far not much luck but am sure it will happen sooner vs later. Just have to try some different spots. THey seem to be where I not. I look over Lavendar Bay and everytime I can't go, due to as I work from home, they seem to be there and when I can go they aren't - but hey thats fishing.

Again well doen hope you a few more and bigger to boot.

cheers

Nathan

bingo your first legal king

what out fit did you catch it on nathan

mike

The out fit Is a penn magpower 7000 with a abu garcia beach rod running on 30lb Suffix Mono (Mainline)

ezy rig, 4 ounce snapper sinker then bead then swivel on 60lb leader and x2 snelled (Gamakatsu Octapus Hooks Sz 8)

There's probably a name for this rig but I don't know it but what I do know is that the results are starting to show!!!!! Id say its a running sinker rig as that is the principle of it I guess

Regards,

Nathan

Beginners don't catch kings like that :1prop: Well done and let the PBs keep coming!

hahahaha Trust me I still have allot of learning to do its just lately Ive got alot of time on my hands so I am putting the time into fishing and the odds are higher and I'm learning new stuff each time!!!!

And yeah I hope I can improve my PB Jewwie of 52cms but don't mind just targeting kings as they are great fun!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Nathan, well done buddy and good work on smashing ur pb

they only get bigger from here on. I'm sure there will be

plenty more to come! Keep it up and I'm sure that big Jewie

is just around the corner!

Cheers

sz1

Hi Nathan, well done buddy and good work on smashing ur pb

they only get bigger from here on. I'm sure there will be

plenty more to come! Keep it up and I'm sure that big Jewie

is just around the corner!

Cheers

sz1

Thanks Sz1 Its looking like a cracker of a season ahead and I bet the lucky few on boats will clean up

Regards,

Nathan

Good onya Nathan, so glad you got a take home king, great shot of you and your captive.

Congrats buddy.. :thumbup:

Thanks Ray!!!

I did not want to make the same mistake again so the camera goes everywhere I go!!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

Top one Nathan, at this rate you might as well leave your pb's empty as you just seem to be firing so well you'll get sick of having to upgrade them each outing. :thumbup:

Reagrds Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I am just a man on a mission now hahahaha only have 2 weeks off work and plan to put alot of time into fishing honestly I have always been chasing the kings just like every other raider got the 1st on Saturday which I was very happy with and to get a 2nd within 2 days just blew me away!!! at least when I go back to work ill have something awesome to remember!!!!

Regards,

Nathan