Huskisson/jervis Bay Any Reports ?

fishopete

G'day all,

First post on this site, glad to finally find a site with plenty of nsw related reports! :thumbup:

I'm heading down to Jervis Bay next week, staying at Huskisson. Taking the tinnie (and the family) to hopefully pick up a few fish (mainly estuary) and maybe a few squiddlies.

Haven't fished the area before, has anyone been there recently and any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

Hey mate I fished the creek after christmas for a few days land based mostly but also had the use of a friendly neighbours canoe. The Creek is alive with activity but it's hard work finding good spots at times. The creek is partially protected as mentioned above for its large weed beds that extend over the flats out from the mangroves towards the deep channel. It's near the first bend in the river moving from the mouth heading upstream/. So this area is right out for fishing. I was using soft plastics and found the weed really annoying at times - as your lure gathers it on the hook as soon as it hits the water. You want to find the sandy deeper water adjacent to the weed beds. There is some opposite the marine protected zone in the main channel. you can fish here legally. This channel continues up to the next bend where it switches from the right to the left hand side of the river. Towards the island along this stretch was productive however in and around the island saw only pickers and weed being caught. There is a good section if you head upstream past the island towards and around the next bend in the river. There are a few houses here and another large flat covered in weed opposite. try outside the houses. Past this section there is another good straight before the water beings to shallow and the weed comes back fairly thick. This is the furthest I went in the Canoe.

My best fish all came from the area around the mouth - I simply walked down the big sand bar you can see from town at low tide. Flicking plastics into the deeper water where the boats are moored closest to town from this sand bar got me into some table sized flattys.

Hope this helps - otherwise there are plenty of other places to fish in the area. Make sure you get a marine park map from the tackle store, as they are free.

Overall the creek was hard work - but prawning at night showed me the system is alive with bait -so you should find some predators. There are plenty of boats contending for space in the holidays- it can be a bit of a pain.

Thanks for the advice fellas, I was aware that there was a sanctuary zone in the creek but I really appreciate your detailed guide to the area, Camo. :thumbup: I'll get an updated marine park map today.

I will try the mouth area as you suggested and maybe venture around the bay itself if the weather is kind.

I really want to give my tacklebag full of sp's a serious workout over the next few days, hopefully it will convince me of using them over bait! Might even try to scoop a few prawns.

I'll let you know how I go, thanks again.

Make sure you visit the maritme and fisheries pond, ask locals for directions, it's very near to town. Full of bream, blackfish and flathead etc. Enclosing a pic, hope it turns out. You can fish it, just take along a lazy $10,000 for the fine.

Rick

Make sure you check out the maritime and fisheries pond. Full of bream, blackfish and flathead. It's right in town, ask any locals for directions. you can fish it, just take along a lazy $10,000 for the fine.

Rick

post-11436-1263867670_thumb.jpg

Hey Rick,

That's an awesome photo. :1yikes: I can count at least 12 lizzies there. I haven't seen a photo of flatties laying in the rocky shallows before! What sort of size were they?

Looks like the sanctuary zones seem to be working. I bet the pelicans,gulls, etc are well fed!!!

I will definitely go and check this out with my camera gear and not my fishin' gear.

Thanks for the pic!

This is an enclosed area with a grating at the outlet so nothing can get in or out. you can feed these fish with bread etc and watch the speed of the flathead when they pounce, it's awesome. with the bream and blackfish, when you throw out the bread it's like pirannas attacking. enclosing another pic of more sunbaked lizards.

post-11436-1263871108_thumb.jpg

I stayed two houses down from the pond and it was a sight to behold. there was one flatty there that must have been in excess of 1m!!! it was huge. It made my 50cm models (caught from the house) look like poddy mullet.

The fine there is actually $22,000 for fishing in the enclosure. One of the first things that I an going to do when i win the lotto is to take some sp's for a flick in the pond.

Ahhh, Yes ive been there, Got a vid of like 100 bream hitting my bread , I'll throw it on youtube when i find it,

Hmm i remember seeing everything in there ! Flathead, Flounder, Bream, Mullet, Leatherjacket, Toads!

You could probs throw it in ur own fish, Wouldnt mind throwing a few kingies in there :P

Edited by cut_loose

same, been there a couple years ago...great little dam to see a good variety of local fish and the fish in there are huge!!!!

not sure if the above photos do it justice as the lizards are at least 65cm and fat!!!

fishopete: if you're fishing off the boat, grab some live poddies - there are plenty aroud the boat ramp and fish around the breakwall in the creek, try drifting as well

if landbase, try near the mouth of the creek. also, along the beach in the bay, you should get some whiting / flathead.

If you are taking the boat and want some squid you can either go to Callala Beach or Murray's Beach. Both of these spots have heaps of sea grass which holds huge amounts of squid.

In those ponds at the Lady Denman Museum (which are well worth a visit) there are also some Snapper which are pretty cool if you are lucky enough to see them. According to the ladies who work in the museum there, there were a lot of big Snapper (which I can remember from visiting there around 10 years ago) that used to be in there and some one come in at night and caught most of them. They were apparently disturbed in the act and dumped their gear and took the fish and weren't caught.

http://www.ladydenman.asn.au/content/fishpond.html

Make sure you visit the maritme and fisheries pond, ask locals for directions, it's very near to town. Full of bream, blackfish and flathead etc. Enclosing a pic, hope it turns out. You can fish it, just take along a lazy $10,000 for the fine.

Rick

Make sure you check out the maritime and fisheries pond. Full of bream, blackfish and flathead. It's right in town, ask any locals for directions. you can fish it, just take along a lazy $10,000 for the fine.

Rick

Rick

Thats a cracker of a pick of the Flatties.

have y ou come across that sight often ??

G'day all,

First post on this site, glad to finally find a site with plenty of nsw related reports! :thumbup:

I'm heading down to Jervis Bay next week, staying at Huskisson. Taking the tinnie (and the family) to hopefully pick up a few fish (mainly estuary) and maybe a few squiddlies.

Haven't fished the area before, has anyone been there recently and any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

G'day mate, I fished the creek around this time two years ago from a kayak and had a ball....I fished close to the creek opening to the Bay (close to Huskisson wharf) using SP's (Squidgy bloodworm + 3" flick baits) and up the creek as well. Caught some nice whiting and lot's of good sized flatties....I find it was best to get out there early morning.

Also, throw some small metals off the Husky wharf after sunset, and you should encounter the Tailor school that works it's way up the creek.....they don't hang around for long but makes for a frantic 20 minutes of fishing fun... :)

Cheers,

S.

Edited by spizza

Rick

Thats a cracker of a pick of the Flatties.

have y ou come across that sight often ??

This is basically a fisheries pond and it's like this all year round and i think they may use it for breeding, unsure. And no, I've never seen this in natural waters unfortunately