Keeping Your Favourite Fishing Spot Clean!

Land based

Idiots everywhere. I imagine they don't leave that mess in their loungeroom. They should just clean up after themselves like normal people before they ruin it for everyone. No doubt stupid politicians will outlaw fishing in these areas if nothing is done just like you can't take a camera to a beach because of two wankers. . Fine them and make it a good fine I reckon.

it had to happen! some people are just pigs and dont care. The police probably have enough to do without keeping these 'tossers' under control. Its a real shame because they not only ruin these spots for everyone but they give genuine fishos a bad name in the process. When these places are shut down and roller doors placed on them stopping fishing activity at night the w##nkers will just move onto something else like illegal drag racing or something. Most of them dont have a genuine passion for fishing they are just chucking a line out and hoping for the best to pass some idle time! I have witnessed them at abbottsford wharf and in a group of say half a dozen or so there is usually 1 serious contender the rest are just hangin with their mates and are more interested in playing doff doff music and drinking, so they couldnt care less about their conscequences and how it affects our sport.

If the police have to go there to control these people then I say give them more power and fine them very heavily for any unruly behaviour or littering offences.

pete.

I agree with your comments Pete,

These clowns give the fishing community a bad name.

I feel very sorry for the residents and commuters who have to wittness the foul language and litter that these idiots leave behind.

I think the damage created is already too big to turn around and I feel that the councils will head down the path of heavy fines and roller shutters at tax payers expense to prevent further anti social behaviour.

Twin 1

Yes we do live in a society where the actions of a few create penalties for all. The silly thing is that littering and noise are already offences but we are burdened with pollies who crave the media moment where they Ban activity to prove they were men of action.

It takes the same enforcement to enforce a ban as it takes to infringe litter bugs.

However, Local Councils are complaint driven. If you are a resident I suggest you WRITE to council and complain about noise from a pub or take away, where exactly the same problem occurs. Make a few fishermen seem trivial compared to hundreds of underage youths drinking or street racing at the local park.

Give pollies something to do other than persecute us!

tight lines all

Gar

ive seen the mess at some of these wharfs and it is gross :/ and ive also seen people using the seats for cutting boards for their fish/bait etc.. which is even worse i think camera's need to be in place that are monitored constantly or gaurds should be placed at wharfs as they do at train stations etc.. these D*&^heads are giving anglers who give a sh*t about these things look extremely bad :/ its not only on the wharfs ive seen it done even under tom ugly's bridge, captain cook bridge public wharf, Avoca beach - Rocks, even at alot of the boat ramps its a bloody mess.

We might organise a clean up your local fishing spot day and take some video and photos and show the media and people who are baring the brunt of the not so nice few that we care and wish to keep our fishing spots as just that "fishing spots " and not rubbish tips.

I will speak with the Admin team and get back to the members.

Regards Admin

sounds like a good idea and maybe get the newspapers involved in it too to show not all anglers are tools :)

We might organise a clean up your local fishing spot day and take some video and photos and show the media and people who are baring the brunt of the not so nice few that we care and wish to keep our fishing spots as just that "fishing spots " and not rubbish tips.

I will speak with the Admin team and get back to the members.

Regards Admin

now thats a positive idea stewy - great idea.

pete.

Hey all,

I've fished afew wharves and have noticed many do not have bins,

I always try to take my rubbish home, but i think it would be great if local councils could place

bins on the wharfs for fisherman,commuters, and people coming off boats as well.

Hopefully it would encourage other people to throw rubbish in the bin.

Hi All,

I occasionally fished at Pier 2. There are bins there for all fisherman to drop their waste and also fishy stuff. But I still see idiots refused to put their waste there and just put the waste between the wooden pillars. It is a magnificant spot to fish, please don't let these idiots ruined it....

Hi all

When Keith was an active member of the Competitive Kayaking group in Forster, the Coach, Anita Roche, would organise everyone to get together on the "Clean Up Australia" day & we would clean the bays & creeks in behind Lanis Caravan Park, as they allow the yakkers to set up their permanent 'slalom run' in the creek & it was the yakkers way of saying 'thank you'.

We would all be given a few big garbage bags & pair of rubber gloves & sent out seeking to find any flotsam & jetsom that shouldn't be on or in the water or along the sides/edge of the water & on land, for that matter, within 3-5m of shore. It was amazing how quickly the bags filled up.

When each bag was full, you just left it on shore (we had designated dump spots where vehicles could reach it) and then Anita would have a BBQ back at her place (BYO food & drink) & celebrate a good day on the water, doing good!

It was a win - win situation - we felt good having cleaned up one spot meticulously & the Caravan Park had clean foreshores & immediate surrounds, until the next time.

As FRs, hopefully, by setting a good example to others, we may shame them into not chucking stinky yucky rubbish around our wharves & foreshores!

Cheerio & what a great idea, Stewie, to work on it with NSW Maritime. :thumbup:

Roberta

That's a fantastic thing to do Stewie.

I do hope my son and I can be involved and look forward to helping out as much as we can. It's a matter that's come up a lot lately and one which is close to my heart. It's just so easy to clean up after yourself but makes so much difference to peoples enjoyment of a place.

to be continued . . . . .

This is a real problem and oddly enough the 3rd time today i am responding to this topic via different fishing sites .

These idiots ARE providing fuel for councils and extream green groups to have us ALL banned from fishing these areas .

Is it feesable to not only fine these people but also rip up there fishing licences for a good period of time ?????? i certainly would not have a problem with it .you only have to go down to your local waterway and u WILL mostly find evedence of some fishermans rubbish . i am on colleroy beach every week [ nippers] and on most occasions i pick up some form of rubbish mostly fishing stuff . this week was a good length of fishing line ????

so yes count me in on your brilliant clean up idea and maybe it should be an anual clean up day .

i work on the idea that i leave a area in BETTER condition than how i found it , and im sure serious fisher folk , like those on this site do as well .

craig

p.s

nice new site

p.ss

ive also taken the liberty of of telling 2 other yak fishing sites of the project[ with a link to this site ] ,hope this is ok .

i figue the more the merrier .

Edited by craigtempo

This is a real problem and oddly enough the 3rd time today i am responding to this topic via different fishing sites .

These idiots ARE providing fuel for councils and extream green groups to have us ALL banned from fishing these areas .

Is it feesable to not only fine these people but also rip up there fishing licences for a good period of time ?????? i certainly would not have a problem with it .you only have to go down to your local waterway and u WILL mostly find evedence of some fishermans rubbish . i am on colleroy beach every week [ nippers] and on most occasions i pick up some form of rubbish mostly fishing stuff . this week was a good length of fishing line ????

so yes count me in on your brilliant clean up idea and maybe it should be an anual clean up day .

i work on the idea that i leave a area in BETTER condition than how i found it , and im sure serious fisher folk , like those on this site do as well .

craig

p.s

nice new site

Thanks Craig and yes we have some very good plans in progress. We will be posting info soon on all this.

I contacted NSW Police directly and they palmed me off to Waterways on 95638511. Apparently the police can and will issue fines on behalf of Maritime.

I got confirmation from Waterways that the fines that were imposed by police officers were for littering on said wharves.

I'm looking after the interests of fishos that do the right thing so anyone that is fined doing the right thing (i.e. have license, not making a mess, not blocking ferry traffic), they should contact Waterways for clarification.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I fished under the Figtree bridge at Hunters Hill with my son a few weeks ago. It was my first fishing outing after a lengthy hospital stay.

What a mess. Birds nests of fishing line. Newspaper with rotten prawns inside. Flies everwhere. It stunk!!

Some real pigs out there. :ranting2:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to Linley Point on 04/04 to find it in a mess again. Its only a matter of time before they ban fishing there due to the mess thats left.

Disgusted to find dead smelly prawns on a seat.A group of yobos had empty cans of energy drink lying around.PEEEEEEd off. This is a very popular

spot for many locals and visitors are making a tip of it.

I am prepared to be a volunteer and have the authority to warn and issue fines to these people. I would be prepared to spend as much time needed

to be trained in the law enforcement in this matter.

However I feel the council could install a few extra bins closer to the shoreline to encourage people to use them.(WISHFULL THINKING)

I also believe councils must erect signs warning fishos if they dont clean up their rubbish that they will ban fishing altogether.

I was at this spot earlier in the week and cleaned up a few bits of rubbish.

Guys forget the volunteer and hero status, We dont need any want to be heroes messing with this bunch.

By all means tell the rubbish makers off and be prepared for a smack in the mouth if not worse.

It is not worth a fishing knife in the guts.

If you happen to see the guys making a mess ring the authorities - local police and waterways, do it discreetly take there number plates down and hand this over.

Let them hand out the fines and move the anti social behaviour on ( do not take the law into your own hands).

It is out there in the media atm and the wharfs etc will become a no fish zone due to these clowns.

We pay enough money thru licence fees, tackle and bait.Lets speak up together and get more bite for our fishing dollars.

Get the inspectors to keep on these guys till they learn to respect the freedom we enjoy.

I am one who has picked up rubbish many a time by these idiots and will keep on doing so - but to call a " LETS CLEAN UP OUR WHARFS, JETTIES CAMPAIGN" after these scum, I dont think so - fine the B#@#@#@s hard.

Not having a go at this sites actions or think tank to combat the issue, the majority of us who do the right thing should not have to pick up or show the wider community the 'Good' that we do - just need the authorities to get hard on the rule breakers.

Twin 1

Twin 1

Edited by twin1