Polarised Sunnies

Raii

Hey, I was wondering with Polarised sunnies is there a difference between brands, like do more expensive brands result in greater visual images, would you be able to see more with the more expensive brands?

Are the specifically designed sunnies for fishing better than the everyday polarised sunnies ?

Thanks.

Hey, I was wondering with Polarised sunnies is there a difference between brands, like do more expensive brands result in greater visual images, would you be able to see more with the more expensive brands?

Are the specifically designed sunnies for fishing better than the everyday polarised sunnies ?

Thanks.

i would say lense quality is what varies personally i scored a pair of mako sunnies 3yrs ago worth $400 and they are my absolute favorite i have other sunnies but they would be nowhere near as good as my more expensive ones

I used polarised glasses for years in one of the best possible testing grounds... Tasmania's lakes (yeah... I admit it... I'm a Tasmanian originally)

My personal opinion is that there's no appreciable performance difference between a pair of $30 Polaroids with carbonate lenses, and a pair of $400 Maui Jims or similar.

Let me qualify that though... there's no appreciable difference in real fishing situations... but that's when new. Good quality glass lenses will last a whole lot longer. Scratched lenses really make polaroiding fish, hard. I'd back my ability to spot more fish on a Tassie lake with el-cheapo glasses, than someone inexperienced with any other pair at any price. The glasses are a tool only.

The lens colour is something that makes a lot more difference. Different colours better suit different applications and circumstances.

If you're the sort of person who loses glasses regularly, stick with the good quality but 'low spec' options... it hurts less when they disappear. If you look after them, get a good pair and hand onto them.

Cheers, Slinky

yer personally the other sunnies give me headaches while wearing them :/ no idea why but yeh my mako sunnies were given to me so i didnt have to buy them :P else i would be using elcheapo however its taken me ages to get a pair of sunglasses that dont give me a headache in the sun or while moving

Don't be fooled by the discounted price ATM, the range sold at close to $200 U.S. and are now made in China and are exactly the same with the same Mitsubishi polarised lenses on them :thumbup: and the frame alone would be in a locked cabinet over here for sure

http://www.xezo.com/search_category.asp?category=Eyewear

If you're an albino into cropped tops enjoy the music anway :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I am currently using a set of BarzOptics. They cut the glare well but the reason I like them is they have little built in magnifiers (mine are +1.5), which greatly exist ageing eyes when tying knots etc.!. I find no impedance to vision when driving the boat or fishing, as I tend to look well over the the top of the magnifiers but they can be distracting when driving a car, so I use a different pair of sunnies in the car.

Price was about $70 and I found them at a boating store in Parramatta.

Baz

All of you guys are so lucky. I have to wear glasses all the time & now I'm officially over the hill I need multi focal lenses. Try $700 for a pair of polaroid multi focals...... and the lenses were fitted to what I call cheap frames only $70. So thats $630 for lenses but since I've had them I wouldn't go back to plain sunnies.

Paul

call one of our site sponsors - Go-Fish. I bought a pair of "Ugly Fish" which are bi-focal for us "old men" they are polarized & with the bi focal bit I can tie hooks as well - very happy with them at under $200

I too am one of these people who have to now wear their glasses all the time, and find that getting polarised sunnies on prescription can become very expensive.

I purchased a pair of "clip on" polarised sunnies just before Xmas from one of my local tackle shops and found that they where absolutely fantastic, and at around $50 was wrapped. Unfortunately just after Xmas they where stolen, so will be going back to this tackle shop and getting another pair ASAP.

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

All of you guys are so lucky. I have to wear glasses all the time & now I'm officially over the hill I need multi focal lenses. Try $700 for a pair of polaroid multi focals...... and the lenses were fitted to what I call cheap frames only $70. So thats $630 for lenses but since I've had them I wouldn't go back to plain sunnies.

Paul

2 or 3 years ago now, I had laser eye surgery. Fortunately, I had a friend at the clinic and managed to get it for price, so it only cost me $2700. Best thing I ever did. Even at full price, I have already made my money back by not having to by contacts, specs, prescription sunnies etc. Prices are coming down, too. A little while back, age caught up with me and now I need reading glasses - but I can manage with a $15 pair of magnifiers from a servo! And for sunnies, the BarzOptics (and other brands) with the built in magnifiers do the job well.

Worth considering laser eye surgery if you're suited and you can manage the $$$. You can even get one eye set for reading and the other for distance. I may consider that down track but I reckon I'd be caught winking at everyone! :074:

Baz

I just bought a cheap set of Aerial polorised sunnies for $30 and without them I was looking at a reflection and with them on I was able to see the fish sitting under the water, didn't help me catch them with a net though lol

• 2 months later...

I'm short sighted so I have to wear contact lenses. I can't afford prescription sunglasses they are very expensive for a good pair so I just wear my contact lenses with my Oakley Ice Pick sunglasses - Bloody fantastic set of sunnies! I want to have laser eye surgery but its still too expensive so I'll have to wait. Fortunately I've noticed you can now buy contact lenses online so I've costs are a bit lower now.

Worth considering laser eye surgery if you're suited and you can manage the $$$. You can even get one eye set for reading and the other for distance. I may consider that down track but I reckon I'd be caught winking at everyone! :074:

Baz

Any uncorrected winking could turn into a bigger problem Barry.. you'd eventually run out of warranty on laser nose replacement therapies :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :fishing1:

i have spotters with a bronze lens and it cuts out the glare almost 100%. Love them and would buy them again

Ditto here.

I physically can not go outside anymore without my spotter Rapids. Best lense's in the world and Australian made!!!

2 years ive had them now, dropped them, kicked them, salt water, fresh water, underwater (dont ask) and not one scratch on either lens.

Well worth the $220 i paid (AJ discounted from $300).

Love my spotters!!