Wiring Up Gauges

DGF

Hey guys i bought my boat few months ago the gauges dont seem to work except the RPM gauge, now recently ive lifted the floor to check ym fuel tank as i wanted the fuel gauge to work as its the most important to me now to my suprise there was no wiring at all to it and the sender unit well didnt look too good, does anyone know of a mobile marine electrician or somone who can fix up my gauges without having to bring it there ?

Hi, im by far the sharpest tool in the shed but had the same prob as you. A new fuel sender is fairly inexpensive and quite easy to fit. Basic boat wiring is quite easy with an $20 multimeter.I did a web search under boat wiring and found easy to follow diagrams to print off. Its really not as complicated as it seems at first. There are also a few books around on boat wiring which are quite good as well.

Don't trust standard fuel gauges and sender units.

Spend a little more and get a meter that measures the consumption of fuel with a simple inline connection in the fuel line to measure the flow.

Accurate as then thumbup.gif

What he said biggrin2.gif

In line is the way to go.

What he said biggrin2.gif

In line is the way to go.

gota agree 110%...

inline is the way to go,mine is hooked up to my navman plotter/sounder and the info i get is invaluable..

simple trim and rpm and watching my fuel used helped me get home once when i was very low on fuel and still learning consumption on new rig..

also litres left is more accurate as boat lists/gets ass heavy etc and sender may not just move correctly in tank etc...

jmho..

cheers....steve.....

i see so where can i find these inline fuel meters would any boating store have them ? also i just use the gauge as a rough estimate but if i am going to head offshore i really wanna know how much fuel is there and how much was used etc..

Edited by DGF

i see so where can i find these inline fuel meters would any boating store have them ? also i just use the gauge as a rough estimate but if i am going to head offshore i really wanna know how much fuel is there and how much was used etc..

DGF Google "Fuel flow meters" there are lots of options. Navman appear to be popular.

Large marine outlets sell fuel gauges so give them a call

Geoff