Swansea Flathead

Berleyguts

I left home at 4:00am (slept in) yesterday for the annual St George sportfishing Club flathead/day weekend at Swansea. I drive in Kombi time so it is a slower trip than most others do it in and, with a coffee stop along the way, I had the boat in the water at 6:00am. First, I ducked up a creek to catch some poddies and in 15 minutes I had about 20 in the old juice bottle. I fished the channel east of the bridge, west of the bridge and up in the lake and could barely turn a scale. The soft plastics only resulted in a few bitten off tails, possibly from toadfish. The poddies were not getting results and the only fish I was getting were tiny bream or flathead on some inferior frozen prawns. I found a quiet spot up in the lake and anchored up while I had a drink and a rest. I berleyed with bread and had a heap of garfish at the back of the boat - a least I'll take home a nice feed of gar, I thought but, no, couldn't boat a lousy gar! So back to the channel for a few more drifts on the runout before joining the other club members for lunch back at the ramp....

I was on my own, fishing three rods... a live poddy out the back on one line, a prawn (dubious quality) on another, while I flicked SPs around the boat on the third. I caught a tiny flathead on a prawn and was busy removing him from the hook, with the other two lines (poddy and SP) still in the water, when I drifted very close to an anchored boat on the edge of the main channel, so close that I lost both the SP and the poddy terminal rig on his anchor rope. Oh well, I just re-rigged and headed back upstream for another couple of drifts, this time with a better angle.

I was nearing the end of my last drift and started pulling in my lines, first the SP line, then the prawn bait line…as I was pulling in the 2nd line, the Baitrunner screamed as something took off with the poddy. I quickly put the 2nd rod in the holder and grabbed the poddy outfit. Some serious weight, I thought, maybe some weed around the fish, too. I got the fish closer and then it took off upstream… got it closer again then it went under the boat and downstream, taking all my effort to get it back to the boat. About 1 metre down I could see that this was a good flathead and she let me have a few glimpses before kicking away again with her solid tail. I was getting close to the rocks and thought I was going to have to throw the anchor overboard and quickly tie off on a cleat to finish this fight but just then, she came close enough for me to slip the net under her. I lifted her into the boat, let out a"Woo-hoo!" and quickly fired up the Yammy about 4 metres off the rockwall. I motored back to the ramp with a grin from ear to ear!

Anyway, the old girl weighed in at 4.2kg and 87cm long, a PB for me and almost double the weight of my previous PB. After lunch, I tried a few more drifts but couldn't boat another fish. Still, I was happy with the one I did get!

post-8460-126731970959_thumb.jpg post-8460-126731959728_thumb.jpg

post-8460-126731972725_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

shes a beauty mate - did she score for you in the comp?

This was a social outing, with no comp, apart from the annual ANSA comp. She is trophy length though, so will be a length only Masters fish, as I was using 6kg line on that outfit (if only she took the 2kg outfit!). It's been many years since I caught a Masters fish, having been out of the game for a while, so I'm stoked! biggrin2.gif

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Nice catch mate, been some nice flatties caught around there lately.

Cheers,

Leo

Yeah, a friend was up there a couple of weeks ago and brained them. My club mates got a few each for the table yesterday and some kids brought in a decent fish (maybe 3kg) but they'd been snorkeling and poked it with one of those sharp pointy stick things...

Baz

Good work,

Well deserved!!!!!! nice croc!!!!!!!

I have not fished Swansea for quite some time now use to go up there heaps but these day's just getting lazy might have to plan a trip one of these days!!!!

and don't worry I get up there in corolla time so probably not to far off your Kombi time!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

lovely flatty mate, a friend was fishing up there on the weekend and was telling me bout a bloke in a boat that got a monster croc.....was there another boat with two blokes watching ya fight/net and land him??? in another boat?

Cheers Ivz

lovely flatty mate, a friend was fishing up there on the weekend and was telling me bout a bloke in a boat that got a monster croc.....was there another boat with two blokes watching ya fight/net and land him??? in another boat?

Cheers Ivz

Yep. I let out a "Woo hoo!" and they gave me the thumbs up, before I had to fire up the Yammy and motor away from the wall.

I was thinking it would have been easier if I wasn't fishing on my own. My wife.gif said she should have come... and I'd be glad to have her along... but she'd probably have grabbed the rod! 1yikes.gif

Baz