Battery Chargers

mii11x

hi raiders,

in short, what charger do you think i should be purchasing, it will charge both the main battery and the deep cycle battery i have for the motorguide(i think the old charger i had stuffed my deep cycle battery)???

thanks

mick

I just bought a new Projecta Battery Charger, you put in what type of battery you have and its designed to charge it. I have a calcium and a deep cycle so it saved me from buying two different types of charges. PM me if you want more info.

I am currently using an ctex multi sx 7000 recharger. It does an excellent job charging my batteries and I have also used the reconditioning function to save my older deep cell battery. It is an expensive charger, but is cheaper than continually replacing overcharged or spent deep cell batteries!!

I have just purchased a CTEK XT14000 for my 24 volt system and I have borrowed a mates before and it worked great.

Cheers Stewy

Silly question but better to be sure, when connecting the charger to a dual system do you simly connect it to the battery you wish to charge or would I select say both on the battery selector dial, connect it to say Batt 1 and it would run between the batteries. (Actually the more I thnik about it probably just connect it to the one I want charged).

I turn the switch off and charge one battery at the time because I have a computer in the engine...

If you have a battery 1 and a battery 2 isolator/on/off switch and say use battery 1 as the main starter battery and use battery 2 for your accessories and lighting for example, it's a good idea to install a separate marine quality cut out switch alongside the main battery switch so that you can cut off all the power in the boat in case there might be a leak or a short somewhere, and that's what I decided was the best thing to do by far particularly for the times when I wasn't able to take the boat out for a fair while.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

another happy ctek customer here :thumbup:

i have the 15000 http://www.ctek.com/EN-AU/Buy-Charger.aspx?charger=mxs15000

the 7000 is prob enough for most people...

read the specs on them and they are worth having as batteries are not cheap and having one fail on water is not good...

most batteries that fail in a few short yrs are due to incorrect charging...

DO NOT use those $50 cheapies as they will kill ya battery early..

pm if ya want to know where i got mine from as it was very cheap....

dicko did you get one yet ????

cheers...steve.....

My best success was out of the Minn Kota chargers and battery setups. All one brand 1 person to see if help is needed.

Being a total on board system it even had a plug connection with cap on the side of the gunnel and was a plug in and forget system. Perfect for someone like me with no idea!

Greg

If you have a battery 1 and a battery 2 isolator/on/off switch and say use battery 1 as the main starter battery and use battery 2 for your accessories and lighting for example, it's a good idea to install a separate marine quality cut out switch alongside the main battery switch so that you can cut off all the power in the boat in case there might be a leak or a short somewhere, and that's what I decided was the best thing to do by far particularly for the times when I wasn't able to take the boat out for a fair while.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

When I say I turn the switch off, its all off both batteries are off. I have a 1-2, both and off switch .