Sydney North Traps

Guest bluecod

Guest bluecod

Friday morning at 5.00 am saw me walking over the road to the Cap'n's place loaded with all the usual bottom bouncing gear + my fly rod and hoping to get a chance to use it from his 600RF Signature. The Speedhump [his son] was coming with us today so tossing flies wouldn't be an option if there was any wind.

Launched at Parsley Bay and rounding Juno Pt we were greeted by the last of the morning fog lifting fom the water with a ball of fire behind it - awesome sight at just before 6.00am and spectacular enough to drive the last of the sleeps away.

post-106-1113637292_thumb.jpg

Running out past the Joey we realised that although the seas were slight there was just enough of a bump to slow our trip down a bit. We looked around to see how the Speedhump was going and it was obvious the full Travelcalm he'd taken before we left had kicked in and its full effect saw the Speedhump in the position he was nicknamed after - sprawled across the floor in a semicomatose state.

Arriving at the traps, it was pretty obvious the Speedump wouldn't be fishing for a while so with a subtle relocation of the Speedhump there was plenty of room to toss a fly, no wind and little chance of hooking anyone other than myself.

The Cap'n elected to soak half a pillie on our first drift past the trap we were on and I was just starting to strip line back in from my first cast when the Cap'n indicated the first bite of the day but failed to hook up. Moments later I had come up tight on a small dollie which was no match for the 12 weight rod I was using. As it turned out the 12 weight was an overkill for the size fish that were on that trap and other traps we fished, but nevertheless I had a load of fun on hometied flies. I think we caught about 20 in all, keeping some of the larger specimens for a feed.

Here's a pic of my first dollie on a hometied blue and orange clouser.

post-106-1113638313_thumb.jpg

Later that day on a drift past Flint and Steel some unknownst behemoth wiped me out on 20lb line - mental note "always check knots". The fish scoffed half a squid and made a beeline for Lion Island, probably pulling off 60 metres of fairly solid drag before the knot parted. Most likely a big ray or noah and definitely wasn't the big jew I've been after for 30 years [so I keep telling myself].

All up a great day on the water with myself and the Cap'n having a load of fun on the dollies and a chance for the Speedhump to catch up on his sleep.

Guest bluecod

Thanks Guys although they were small they provided plenty of fun and would have been a blast on an 8 weight - one of the little suckers actually had all the fly line out and was starting on the backing before I turned him.

...  did you go to a fad or a trap, and i hope you can reply to this tonight coz were going out there tomoz, hopefully its as calm as it was for you today. Cheers, Knapers

42765[/snapback]

Knapers - Sydney North FAD is GONE, but about 1 kilometre inshore of where it was is where you will find the traps. Hope you have a good one!

Guest bluecod

A mate has made some enquiries at Fisheries who were not 100% sure that it had gone at the time but in two trips in the last week it still hasn't been sighted.

General opinion is that it was either lost in a storm/big seas or got chopped off by a ship.